Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

ejmdds

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I think that uninstalling or turning off apps is not really a solution I'm looking for. For a quick temporary solution, I think it's still acceptable but for long term use.. it is not.

My battery is already down to 43% after 4 hours. I'm going to exchange it to a new one, but most of the ATT stores I called either they don't have them or they run out of stock.

I agree. I bought this phone to use the full functionality of the device and do not want to resort to crippling it just to last a day. I think that with the newness of the OS and the device that possibly the apps and features still need some tweaking and software/firmware updates should fix it. Love the phone otherwise. On a strange sidenote I put my phone on a charger (actually the stock charger that comes with the HTC oneX) 15 minutes ago because my battery said 58%. When I came back just to see how much juice I got in 15 minutes it was at 100%!!! Something is obviously awry because one thing I have noticed in the short time I have had the phone is that it seems to take an awful long time to charge back to full capacity when I have used the stock nokia charger the past few nights.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I think that uninstalling or turning off apps is not really a solution I'm looking for. For a quick temporary solution, I think it's still acceptable but for long term use.. it is not.

My battery is already down to 43% after 4 hours. I'm going to exchange it to a new one, but most of the ATT stores I called either they don't have them or they run out of stock.

I am down to 49% after 5 hours away from charger, pretty sure that's the best you can expect,so don't return it because there's probably nothing wrong with it?

Hope for some firmware fixes or improvement after a few more charge cycles instead =(

bryan_05

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I did a complete discharge of the battery yesterday. I waited for the phone to power off on its own and then I repowered it on and let it die on its own again. I did a complete recharge to 100% afterwards and my battery life has improved dramatically. I have had the phone off of the charger for over 11 hours with moderate use including downloading apps, games, browser, texting, and phone calls and I am at 53% at the moment.

Hope that helps some people. The battery life on my 900 blew every other phone I have ever used out of the water and I am hoping to get at least the same out of this phone.

This is a common solution to fixing laptop batteries as well. My Lumia 920 has average battery life, but I'm going to run it into the ground tonight.

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I am down to 49% after 5 hours away from charger, pretty sure that's the best you can expect,so don't return it because there's probably nothing wrong with it?

Hope for some firmware fixes or improvement after a few more charge cycles instead =(

I'm not making this up but the only thing I did was installing skype and check the UI. That's all. No phone calls, no texting/emailing. Nothing.

EricCantona

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
When I came back just to see how much juice I got in 15 minutes it was at 100%!!! Something is obviously awry because one thing I have noticed in the short time I have had the phone is that it seems to take an awful long time to charge back to full capacity when I have used the stock nokia charger the past few nights.

Yeah I have quite a similar situation yesterday morning. My battery was fully charged and did not drop for 2 hours even after a light gaming session. After the 2 hours mark, the number went down like crazy. I have a feeling as gbx5 pointed out it may have something to do with the software, but I can't wait that long to have this fixed.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be hope

I got mine on Friday at around 11 am. After Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with suspect battery life (though it showed improvement on Sunday actually), today seems MUCH better. I haven't really changed much, except I'm through that "honeymoon period" of unreasonable usage amounts.

Unplugged at 8 am today, it's now 1:15 pm. Used it for videos, installed Skype, took some pictures, a lot of texting, several email checks and some replies, some Internet. What I consider to be fairly normal usage, really. Battery is at 89% showing 1 day 7 hours of time remaining. Last charge was 5 hours ago.

ALL I did was give it time and a few charge cycles. It's also not getting warm anymore. Perhaps the phone just needed a break-in period?

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I got mine on Friday at around 11 am. After Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with suspect battery life (though it showed improvement on Sunday actually), today seems MUCH better. I haven't really changed much, except I'm through that "honeymoon period" of unreasonable usage amounts.

Unplugged at 8 am today, it's now 1:15 pm. Used it for videos, installed Skype, took some pictures, a lot of texting, several email checks and some replies, some Internet. What I consider to be fairly normal usage, really. Battery is at 89% showing 1 day 7 hours of time remaining. Last charge was 5 hours ago.

ALL I did was give it time and a few charge cycles. It's also not getting warm anymore. Perhaps the phone just needed a break-in period?

Hopefully that is the case, my battery is terrible, but it doesn't overly warm up at all like my 900 did. Hopefully a couple more cycles i can get good life.

cherone21

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

I think this is true. My phone is working much better and I received it on Thursday night. I was concerned about the heat but today each time I pick it up it is cool. I am very happy this worked its way out on its own.

ztas

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Open settings -> Swipe Left - > open Background Tasks -> choose which app you want to modify. "Blocking" an app in this menu only prevents it from running in the background (or for turning a Live Tile into a dead tile). It does not prevent the app from running when you open it.

It's a great way to manage which apps you want to allow to run in the background, etc.

that fixed my battery drain. thanks

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have the heating issue, other than last night when somehow the phone stayed on while in my pocket, but my battery life got substantially better when I turned off the Drive app from running in the background. I unplugged with 95% charge at 5am this morning and it's now 4:45 and I have 79% remaining with light use; checking email and a couple of short calls. It's working like I imagined it would now. The first two days were brutal but now I feel comfortable leaving without a cable within arms reach.

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
multiple issues

I have had mine since launch and now after my first days usage at work im very sad with the performance. I switched from a iphone 4s, and at work I have the phone in airplane mode with no service in the building im in, and ill only listen to podcasts/music at work, light browsing the web on breaks(because i get service in the lunchroom) and then drove home. Off the charger for 11 hours, dead...in airplane mode most the time with no data running and display off. not to mention the headphone audio is quiet as ****. maxed out and barely hear podcasts, my music i can listen to at about 23, but still, maxed at 30. not to mention i have drive off, uninstalled actually. the iphone would be at 60-70% battery left at this point in the day. i dont know what to expect. hearing this is typical but if it is im hurt bc i love the phone and os, but thats **** performance. not to mention i've hit half of the "bug list" on the other post randomly throughout the weekend. and nokia maps blow. traffic a joke and didnt even find the att store in the city i bought the phone.

apoc527

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about the rest, but I'd give the battery some time. As for the headphones, I just plugged some old Apple earbuds into my 920 and any music over volume 20 is painful.

Pinkopanter

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Fixed

This is what I did. Factory reset. Full charge. So far now is 4:15pm and battery is at 60% from this morning 7am.

I will advice give it few days it will work normal. I used to have the same problem with my 4S and in few days came to normal.

Odog4ever

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Day 3: Battery life is improved mostly. Listening to pod-casts, watching movie trailers, and downloaded a few apps. After a 15 min phone call the heat issues returned (not to mention a test Skype Video last night that I thought was going to melt the plastic! Hottest its ever gotten).

I'm fine with the phone warming up some when its doing some heavy processing but its hard for me to believe that these extremes are normal. Might go into an ATT store while I'm on a call and let them hold the phone so I can get another opinion.

Anyway been off the charger for 7 hrs and at 60% battery. Still holding out hope that the heat and super long charging times improve by themselves.

Travb1999

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I went and picked up a Nokia 920 right before my big Florida road trip and some interesting things happened first thing that occurred was that I had the phone plugged into a 500mah car charger while using GPS nav and the charger got red hot and wouldn't charge the phone said it was but wasn't so I upped it and got a 1000mah USB charger and still no dice charger got really hot to the touch and was still draining the battery. So I once again upped the ante and was able to procure a 2100 mah charger and still no dice I'm still depleting my battery. I'm on the ac charger 1000mah and my battery life is Terrible if I don't use the charger that came with it. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong ?

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So sounds like my phone could be defective with the audio port being so quiet unless there is audio protection setting on that I don't know how to turn off like avs or whatever that stuff is called. Also. I can't believe how the phone being this hot is normal for light web browsing and running this app. I wouldn't call this extreme processing

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Dunno if this makes any difference but on the Nokia boards someone posted about his battery issues with the 920 and a board admin posted this.

the heat is normal in devices, and that said, also to note that if there is more battery being drained then the charger is able to produce, than it will drain. this could be especially more common on the laptops if you are charging from them.

if from a laptop, the power coming from the ports is not always the same or enough, especially if they are not plugged into a power source themselves. however, even then the power you would get from a usb port is </~ 500mAh and you would definitely be better on a usb2 port, and the best is obviously not from the usb, but from the charger of the device that you said you tried.

if you had a 900, then you obviously know how to close the applications by left arrowing until it is gone. sounds like there are definitely some challenges with something running in the background.

couple of things could be....

the gps is hung in a loop and though the application is not showing doesn't mean that the component isn't stuck on some how, sucking battery power.

the gprs connection is stuck/locked in the background, not letting you get on, and also a sort of "short" causing battery drain.

my guess is that you have already rebooted the device.

if not, try it to be sure that it gives the device the opportunity to shut everything down completely. so let it be off for at least 2 minutes to be sure the power drains.

if that doesn't work, there could be corruption...it happens and not necessarily anything you have done....and you could try factory reseting the device through the settings/about/reset your phone, or you could hard reset it by turning off the device, then hold the camera+vol down+power until you feel it vibrate and then release ONLY the power button so that it will continue to start.

doing this will wipe your device to factory state and completely reinstall the OS on the EMMC. so if there are any corruption issues that should fix it...if it doesn't, take it back to ATT and swap it out immediately.

@JoshPolanco
welcome to the board.

Nokia, as is any major manufacturer of devices, well aware of a percentage that will be faulty during MFG of devices. there is no way possible to have a 100% perfection rate. that is why in the USA we have Lemon-laws.

What nokia makes regarding the Lumia devices is only the hardware and some of the applications that are unique to nokia devices, and no longer the OS as a whole. While they can help with the battery life by rendering dimensions and periferals and such, the OS itself would mandate most of what is getting the power and memory allocation.

I have had my yellow 920 for a about a week...and after the first couple of charges, I am now getting a drain rate of about 8-10%/hour. that is a 9-12 hour batter, and I have my device working! so that is pretty good when I pass up the iphone users and still have 50% left! ;)

try to make sure you are getting a full charge and then run it down for a few times in a row pretty good....then start to meter your draining and see if it is better. mine seems to be getting better after its "warm-up"

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My previous phone was an iPhone 4. When iOS 6 came out, I was affected by a wifi bug and my phone would not connect to a network. The constant trying to connect absolutely killed its battery life...like I could almost watch it drop. Instead of lasting a day, it only lasted a few hours.

I've noticed with my 920, the wifi disconnects when you power off (not full off, just pressing the power button to put it to sleep). Someone said in another thread that the connection is dropped after 30 seconds. Today, I was playing a game of chess with someone. I would make a move and then turn off the phone. A couple of min later, they would make there move and I would get a notification which would wake up the phone and it would try to connect to wifi. I would make my move and this would repeat.

I noticed during this time that the battery dropped faster. I wonder if constantly creating the wifi connection is a factor? Are the people having battery problems turning their phones on and off alot VS just having it on for a while playing a game or watching a moving etc.?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Similar to a car and using gas. Ina. Highway you use less gas e cause your constantly movies but on the streets your starting and stopping

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon