Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

boatsnbeaches

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The 1308 update may be the final straw for me. I had the random battery drains before portico then all was good. I was getting a solid 2 days per charge. Since the 1308 update I can't get more than 5-6 hours and the phone is always HOT. I did another reset and it did nothing to help the battery problems. This morning I took my 920 off the charger, set it on my desk and by 1pm with absolutely zero use, I got low battery alert. This has happened daily since the 1308 update. I've contacted ATT and I'm told there is no way to go back to the previous software....

I have been a supporter and promoter of WP since the intro of the 900 and purchased my 920 on release day, but I think I'm finally done with Nokia and Windows Phone. I need a reliable and consistent experience which neither Nokia or MS has been able to provide with the 920. As much as I like WP8, I'm really thinking it may be time to go back to android with with the release of the new HTC One.

Kenny Chan

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
tell at&T to let you have a new 920 since its still under warranty, thats what i did and now my 920 is all better :)

ATT only has 14 days warranty. After the 14 days you get 1 year manufacturer's warranty. However, that warranty will only give you a refurb phone. If you bought your phone new and have only had it for about a month (like myself), trading in a brand new phone for a refurb phone (which is probably just as broken) is not a good deal or a solution.

If you try to complain to nokia/ms about the heat issue they will give you a generic response of "our phones have been tested to comply with all industry standards, blah blah" and essentially tell you that you are wrong and their phones are great (happened to me twice on separate occasions). Tons of people at my work have asked about my phone since it's rare to see a windows phone and I can't possibly recommend this to any of them. Oil is added to the flame since the consumer is pretty much left in the dark without any ETA for a fix or admittance of a problem. In the meantime, they are working on ways to make the camera better.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Similar usage with my 920 (only 1-2h of music though) and my day today was from about 6am to 7pm and i still had about 30% left.
This was however after 6 months of horrible battery..... But its getting much better now.

In the 6 months of horrible battery, how much do you get?

ElectricPotato

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do any of you with poor battery life have an AT&T MicroCell?
I have one and recently discovered that it's the cause of my battery drain. My MicroCell stopped working a week ago. Since then my battery life has been stellar, though my cell signal comes and goes - hence the need for the MicroCell. I got a new MicroCell today, got it set up and my battery took a nosedive. It's the first time in a week that it went into battery saver mode.
I checked around and found this AT&T forum thread with users reporting this issue (not necessarly on the Lumia 920).
I never really experienced this battery drain with my Iphone 4 and the MicroCell but for some reason, it's hitting my Lumia 920 hard.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Standby battery good, but it drains like crazy when I use the phone

I'm getting the same problem with my car, it uses petrol whenever I drive anywhere but it uses nothing when sat on my driveway. I think it may be faulty.

I don't agree with your comparison .... you would have been better to compare if your car manufacturer told you the mileage/average(wherever you are living) say 10kmpl but you actually getting 5kmpl.. would you be happy for it? And when you complained to company they would ask you to stop using AC, mayeb MID and Power windows blah blah blah to achieve 7Kmpl ?
I agree with Zokudu that battery drain while using features on this smart phones eats up battery beyond acceptable limits. I have seen battery discharge rate upto 48% per hour with playing a game like minesweeper which doesn't use all power of cpu and even is not a graphical game. And real pain is that in my country even nokia is not responding to these lemons they have sold to people. We all who ever got this phone loves MS and Nokia but by saying this we should not be compromising on basic use of smartphones. And same like Zokudu i am not happy with the battery life , it's pattern( strange discharge rate) and charging my mobile more than actually using it. And no tweaking helps when you have a device as dud as some of us have got

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Whether or not your using your phone, the phone is using the battery. You have multiple radios in the device for various forms of connectivity and you have applications that are running in the background to pull fresh info for you. You also have a display with rich color and contrast, so to say anyone is lightly using their phones these days is a bit of a farce.

Light use would be turning your phone off at various points of the day only to resume usage at a later time. Sporadic would be leaving the phone off for days. The less the phone is used, the more battery it has left. Make no mistake, I think phone batteries in general don't keep up with consumer expectations. There is a lot of ground that needs to be made up. However, people need to be more willing to admit they use their phones more regularly than what they would otherwise have you believe.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

You can disable some background apps, that may help. But I have a full proof solution to have your phone's battery last 10 + hours, I have to warn you its a bit extreme.

Charge your phone, but DON'T USE IT! you can even put it on battery saver mode. That way you can almost guarantee that the charge will last.

I think that i stumbled onto something here, maybe i should sells this idea.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

Anyone have a solution for this. When I lightly use my phone I get about 12 hours on a full charge. When I have a day where I can play a mobile game or two it is in battery saver mode by 2pm (about 4 hours after I wake up). Any way to increase battery when I'm actually using the phone?

The standby draw is a few mAh. The in use draw (especially when paying graphics intensive games) is hundreds of mAh. The car analogy is perfect. You have X mpg at 5mph (standby) or X*0.1 mpg at 100mph (gaming). That's why phones give "standby time" and "talk time" numbers, where "talk time" is 3-5 hours and standby is 1-3 days.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
After the 14 days you get 1 year manufacturer's warranty

Maybe it's just Australia, but i just found out that lumias get a 2 year warranty here! So double check, maybe 'MERICA gets it as well?
Samsung, Apple, Htc, ect. all offer 1yr warranties which suck because my phones always develop problems about 1.5 years in.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's just Australia, but i just found out that lumias get a 2 year warranty here! So double check, maybe 'MERICA gets it as well?
Samsung, Apple, Htc, ect. all offer 1yr warranties which suck because my phones always develop problems about 1.5 years in.

It's 'MURICA. We do things big here, except for apparently Warranties.

hAA3B9279

It is 12 months for anything sold in the US or Canada.

http://download.fds-ncom.nokia.com/...les/pdf_guides/other/WARRANTY-CA-US_en-US.pdf

Rndomuser

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The 1308 update may be the final straw for me. I had the random battery drains before portico then all was good. I was getting a solid 2 days per charge. Since the 1308 update I can't get more than 5-6 hours and the phone is always HOT. I did another reset and it did nothing to help the battery problems. This morning I took my 920 off the charger, set it on my desk and by 1pm with absolutely zero use, I got low battery alert. This has happened daily since the 1308 update. I've contacted ATT and I'm told there is no way to go back to the previous software....

I have been a supporter and promoter of WP since the intro of the 900 and purchased my 920 on release day, but I think I'm finally done with Nokia and Windows Phone. I need a reliable and consistent experience which neither Nokia or MS has been able to provide with the 920. As much as I like WP8, I'm really thinking it may be time to go back to android with with the release of the new HTC One.

AT&T lied to you - you can flash the Lumia 920 to previous firmware version (there's a sticky thread in these forums about that). The whole process is kinda annoying, though. I would suggest asking AT&T for a replacement by different brand - HTC 8X. They seem to have less firmware/battery issues... I wouldn't recommend trying HTC One, though - it is a totally brand-new phone with an unknown reliability record...

TechieFan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, I am now on my 4th 920. After the warranty period, AT&T will sent you a replacement phone even tho it's refurbished. After I get my replacement, it's good for a few days then it will sometimes run hot even when it's locked in my pocket. The battery then will totally drain in about 3-4 hours. At times, it's fine the entire day, I have everything off in the background except for Amazing HD Weather and Chronos Calendar. I don't really use it for anything other than texting, calling and reading on my kindle app. I have to see if I stop using the wireless charging if that will help. It's causing me to even consider (yikes) the 8X but maybe if the rumor about the catwalk comes out, maybe I will switch to that phone.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Had to put my phone on airplane mode. I thought using a plugged in charging method was the solution, but my batter went back to its 2-3% idle drain per hour. Currently in airplane mode to see how the phone reacts and see if it has anything to do with apps or data usage.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

The standby draw is a few mAh. The in use draw (especially when paying graphics intensive games) is hundreds of mAh. The car analogy is perfect. You have X mpg at 5mph (standby) or X*0.1 mpg at 100mph (gaming). That's why phones give "standby time" and "talk time" numbers, where "talk time" is 3-5 hours and standby is 1-3 days.

I undoubtedly agree with your point John.... But my main disagreement is that if nokia officially says that it can play music for 10 hours but in reality when i put my phone in airplane mode and start using playback for my already created playlist ,screen only switched on to start music,earphone plugged in and it didn't last more than 2:30 hours. This is my concern . I really feel that it should have been better as per their claims. There is no use if it can't deliver me half of what was claimed officially because i understand claims are for standard environment and test conditions are no where near to actual usage conditions. Understanding that i still believe that my current device is not upto the mark. And being early adapter for all major platforms i do understand that this situation can improve drastacilly by the way of updates. But to wait for updates i need acceptance of flaw from company so i can be bit assured that update will improve condition.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I don't agree with your comparison .... you would have been better to compare if your car manufacturer told you the mileage/average(wherever you are living) say 10kmpl but you actually getting 5kmpl.. would you be happy for it? And when you complained to company they would ask you to stop using AC, mayeb MID and Power windows blah blah blah to achieve 7Kmpl ?
I agree with Zokudu that battery drain while using features on this smart phones eats up battery beyond acceptable limits. I have seen battery discharge rate upto 48% per hour with playing a game like minesweeper which doesn't use all power of cpu and even is not a graphical game. And real pain is that in my country even nokia is not responding to these lemons they have sold to people. We all who ever got this phone loves MS and Nokia but by saying this we should not be compromising on basic use of smartphones. And same like Zokudu i am not happy with the battery life , it's pattern( strange discharge rate) and charging my mobile more than actually using it. And no tweaking helps when you have a device as dud as some of us have got

Flawed analogy. If your company told you a certain mileage - it told you based on driving under certain conditions. Your roads are different, the way you drive is different and the number of passengers or load in your car is different than what company's suggested mileage was based upon. On that happy thought, let's talk about batteries as all these are mere opinions, no facts, in the correct threads

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I am a "light user". I had to recharge my previous (6 years old) phone once a week (in average). Now I have to recharge my L920 EVERY day. You make the math ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos