Lumia 920 battery - Your opinions

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: lumia 920 Battery Issues

Anybody know what this could be? I've had my phone since the 23rd November but just recently, my battery drains very fast when using the phone. When I say using I mean doing nothing except browsing menus etc. All the usuals are off except wifi as I obviously need that. Turned Music+Videos off, screen to Low. One strange thing I noticed in the last couple of days is that if you reboot the phone at 5% even while charging, the phone takes about 30 minutes to come back on after displaying the flat battery icon, and when playing any game, the battery drains faster than you can charge it, even on a 1A mains charger and when simply browsing the net or phone menus, it doesn't charge, just stays at the same %. 2 things to note: Started using the wireless charger a couple of weeks ago & I dropped the phone about a week ago, some slight scratching on the back. Not sure if that makes much difference though. I also have Whatsapp installed, which I've heard are causing a few people problems. Might have to restore which is annoying. Skydrive is rubbish compared to iCloud when it comes to backups.

Last edited:

un hombre

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

For all those that are having problems with battery drains when using the phone.

My problem was with one (or both) of the apps: Battery widget or AccuWeather. My guess is Battery widget. It gathers graph information very frequently when your phone is running, I have no idea if there is a bug with it, but when I had it installed with Accuweather, I lost 19% of battery just by having a regular phone call using headphones and the phone was very hot!

After uninstalling both of them, I had a 15 minute skype chat over 3g and over my bluetooth headset and lost 6% of battery, while phone was cold.

Just an idea for some of you :)

NinjaPenguin777

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm never using my wireless charging again. That's the only thing that ever causes me any issues anymore. I hadn't used it for a month+. Decided to use it the other day a few times and now my battery is draining rapidly for no reason what so ever.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
My phone was losing battery quickly yesterday. Like 60%, 40% left, after 4 hours with no use. My only background tasks are WPCentral and Amazing Weather. I can typically go 2 days with minimal use. I put it on the wireless charger and picked it up after 2 hours. It was almost burning hot on the back side. It charged to 60%. I always have WiFi on, but I forgot I put Location on the night before. It was most likely the cause for the faster than normal minimal use drain, but would it also have caused the high temps? I now kind of don't feel safe leaving it charge on the arm of my couch or a wooden table. I've joked about it getting warm with heavy use, but this was ridiculous. Wish I busted out the IR thermometer to check the temperature. It wasn't hot enough to burn while holding loosely, but I wasn't about to brand Carl Zeiss into the palm of my hand.

Rodetri

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

I've found it very useful to do a soft reset right after a full recharge. seems like the soft reset dumps all junk memory accumulated in the battery.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I've found it very useful to do a soft reset right after a full recharge. seems like the soft reset dumps all junk memory accumulated in the battery.
that's exactly what I was about to say, but this should never happen, Microsoft needs to send out an update asap, can't believe they even released it without checking. Battery drains 2% an hour idle until I do a soft reset, terrible.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Well I've done a hard reset, and the phone barely charges is it while using, and I'm only talking about browsing menus and downloading backed up apps

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

I never had this issue at all, but my dad and my stepmom has had battery drain issues for the last week or so. They said the soft rest after the charge fixed it all until they recharge again. So this could be a resolution for some.

My experience, soft resets didnt work for the phones i had that had issues. For the phones I had no issues, i never had to soft reset.

But my parents are saying it helped there, so it is an option. Now this is right after charging the phone, not resetting during the day after off the charger for hours.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Today I had crazy drain, was left with like 30% left after only like 17 hours or so. Most likely it was because I was streaming music through 4G non stop for 7 hours today, also kept changing songs and searching for artists quite a bit so the screen was on a lot. I'll try to do the same on monday but on 3G to compare :).

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I never had this issue at all, but my dad and my stepmom has had battery drain issues for the last week or so. They said the soft rest after the charge fixed it all until they recharge again. So this could be a resolution for some.

My experience, soft resets didnt work for the phones i had that had issues. For the phones I had no issues, i never had to soft reset.

But my parents are saying it helped there, so it is an option. Now this is right after charging the phone, not resetting during the day after off the charger for hours.
well I've reset during the day too and battery percentage goes up like 10-16% so it does help too, I've reset it twice in a day before and still goes up both times, I wonder if I do it 100 times in a day? Maybe get 100% all,day? Haha I wish that could happen, reset to recharge

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Today I had crazy drain, was left with like 30% left after only like 17 hours or so. Most likely it was because I was streaming music through 4G non stop for 7 hours today, also kept changing songs and searching for artists quite a bit so the screen was on a lot. I'll try to do the same on monday but on 3G to compare :).

jeez, I and alot of ppl would love to have 30 percent after 17 hours lol that's really good

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

You have 30% left after 17 hours? why are you in this thread?

renster721

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this particular thread or not, so I apologize if it has already been discussed. Normally I can get about 2 days use without a recharge, but I've noticed that occasionally (maybe once a week or two) I get the dreaded battery drain problem. I've found the solution for my phone's battery issues, and hopefully it will resolve others' battery issues too.

Last time I had the bad battery drain I checked the battery log to see what was going on. For most of the day it had been draining at about 1-3% an hour, and then mid-afternoon it jumped to something like 12-14% drainage an hour with no change in any of the phone's settings (I used 'Battery Status' to monitor drainage). I'd read before that the official statement on battery drain was something to do with Skype or Facebook syncing in a loop. I don't have Skype, so I checked Facebook (not the app, but the built in account).

I went into settings + email & accounts and noticed that the Facebook account was "not up to date". I tried to manually synced Facebook and received the 'unable to sync' error (or whatever it says). I manually synced again and the second time it synced correctly. I continued to monitor battery drain for the rest of the day. As soon as I was able to sync FB, the battery drain disappeared. I was back to about 1-3% drain per hour. I haven't had battery drain since, so I haven't been able to really double check to see if this works every time. I'll report back if it happens again.

So for those having issues, maybe check the same settings and try to manually sync Facebook. Just to be clear, I mean the Facebook account tied to the phone and NOT the Facebook app. This was the solution for me. Hope that helps.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this particular thread or not, so I apologize if it has already been discussed. Normally I can get about 2 days use without a recharge, but I've noticed that occasionally (maybe once a week or two) I get the dreaded battery drain problem. I've found the solution for my phone's battery issues, and hopefully it will resolve others' battery issues too.

Last time I had the bad battery drain I checked the battery log to see what was going on. For most of the day it had been draining at about 1-3% an hour, and then mid-afternoon it jumped to something like 12-14% drainage an hour with no change in any of the phone's settings (I used 'Battery Status' to monitor drainage). I'd read before that the official statement on battery drain was something to do with Skype or Facebook syncing in a loop. I don't have Skype, so I checked Facebook (not the app, but the built in account).

I went into settings + email & accounts and noticed that the Facebook account was "not up to date". I tried to manually synced Facebook and received the 'unable to sync' error (or whatever it says). I manually synced again and the second time it synced correctly. I continued to monitor battery drain for the rest of the day. As soon as I was able to sync FB, the battery drain disappeared. I was back to about 1-3% drain per hour. I haven't had battery drain since, so I haven't been able to really double check to see if this works every time. I'll report back if it happens again.

So for those having issues, maybe check the same settings and try to manually sync Facebook. Just to be clear, I mean the Facebook account tied to the phone and NOT the Facebook app. This was the solution for me. Hope that helps.

Yes the last replacement i got had this issue. When my phone would be put to idle, the reception would pretty much die or is very weak. I would turn on the phone, go to the email settings and see that my MS, twitter, Linkedin, and FB would all say that. When i try to sync, i get an error. after a few minutes or so, it would finally update. Then i would put the phone to sleep again, same thing happens.

So ive had this issue, but for multiple accounts and often when in idle.

wangvnn

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

got l920 for 2 weeks, careful turn off everything to save battery, so far decently last as expected. Today the phone show me 40% of battery so i open nokia map to find bus stop, the phone shows me 5%. I put the charge in it goes up to 40%. We love this phone but nokiA should work harder to fix issue like this.

Freakstudios

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I can squeeze two days out of my 920. I'll charge it between 8 to 10 pm, turn on battery saver, and wake up with 99% after 7 hours sleep.
That evening after routine usage, I'll be down to 60%... good enough for another day.
Now it's the end of day 2 (12:30 am) and I'm still at 21%.. BTW I have the battery saver on most of the time and sync manually.
I only check emails every 3 hours and save a LOT of time in my workday like this.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

I can squeeze two days out of my 920. I'll charge it between 8 to 10 pm, turn on battery saver, and wake up with 99% after 7 hours sleep.
That evening after routine usage, I'll be down to 60%... good enough for another day.
Now it's the end of day 2 (12:30 am) and I'm still at 21%.. BTW I have the battery saver on most of the time and sync manually.
I only check emails every 3 hours and save a LOT of time in my workday like this.

i can probably get that without batter saver until 20%. I can leave my phone off the charger without battery saver and still wake up at 98 or 99%.

Sying your phone can last 2 days with battery saver most of the time doesn't really showcase how good your battery really is. If your phone is on battery saver most of the time, of course it will last awhile.

v4mp123

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site

Hi,
I just registered to tell you following:

I discovered the culprit that is responsible for the "semi random" battery drain.

@Home my Lumia 820 "shines" with a good battery life.
@Work:
- without any additional Installed app
- no active background task (except standard entries: "extras+info" and Nokia Music)
- every (backround)sync disabled (mail, also xbox, music.....)
- display low
- disabled location service
- closing all apps with multiple clicks on back-button
- uninstalled skype
- disabled apps @ lockscreen
- battery saver on
- backup disabled
- nfc disabled
- microsoft account sync only 1x per day
- disabled roaming (my provider is a roaming monster :) roams into networks of other providers).
- 2x fully discharged + fully charged + 12 hours on powersupply
- and every other suggested energysave option/action i could find on internet and here in forum -> except hardreset

With all above mentioned methods the battery still gets/got literally eaten away @ work in IDLE.
I had it next to me with monitor off. Only checked once per hour and it died in ~8-11 hours. No call no message no nothing.

I was curious why it only happens at work: The difference of the network coverage is, that at home it is far more inferior. I have to search for a spot in my house where i can use it for calling somebody.
So Internet is not even an option (also no HSPA+ coverage throughout the village. ). Normally you would have less battery life at places with less connectivity. But not in that case.

I investigated further: on the way to work I use it for surfing ~50min - 1hour -> there i loose 7-9% of my battery. (very good result for driving with car => many connection losses)
As soon as I reach the city where the Lumia reaches the HSPA+ network it begins to drain veery fast.
HSPA+ needs much more power than UMTS and I guess normal HSPA!

I compared the behaviour with the Samsung Galaxy S3 (colleague's phone) and noticed a small but profound difference:

After you "wake" the S3 from idle it will show on the screen, that it uses UMTS and not HSPA/HSPA+... as soon as you start surfing or start an app that connects to the internet the S3 switches immediately to HSPA+. After a little time the Samsung switches back to UMTS.
The lumia behaves differently: It detects HSPA+ and uses it. Also in idle!?
I followed this obvious lead and wanted to disable HSPA/HSPA+ -> unfortunately it only lets you disable 3g as a whole (UMTS/HSPA) so I switched to 2G only.

While I am writing this my L820 is unplugged 6hours now and
after much heavier use than normal (mailing, surfing with 3g while driving 45min home [which dropped the charging-level multiple times faster than gaming!], 1h gaming, 10 minutes calling)
the remaining battery life is at 70% with estimated time remaining: 1day 7hours left (after writing the whole story it went up to 2days 4hours with 69%... but i guess thats because its idleing).

This behaviour is also the explanation why some people are affected and some aren't.

Summary of change: from initially 8hours idle and not even touching the phone -> to finally using it now with 70% after 6hours with 1day 7hours time remaining.

Additional info: I live in Austria (Europe; no kangaroos ;-)) --> so I have a Lumia 820 with the german firmware without the update, which was released in USA and Canada:
Revision: 1232.2109.1242.1001

So it is NOKIA's move now to (let) implement a similar function like the Samsung S3 ... or just as a start let us turn off UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ separately! Surfing with 2g is no fun^^.

Sorry for the extensive and long story/facts ;-)

Regards
V4mp

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Email Nokia or Microsoft about this, it could be useful, its a good idea too, us at At&t can't even turn off our LTE, I wish I could use 3G while texting or whatnot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss