01-18-2013, 04:55 PM #27
- 69 Posts
To be fair guys, he did complain about the phone after actually using it. :P
To the OP, your notifications for email, text, and phone calls will all show up via Start screen icons. Unlike iOS, Windows phone currently makes double use of all icons, henceforth known as Live Tiles, by showing a number over the a tile to let you know something has happened there. From time to time the tiles will flip over to give more exact information. This functionality, however, only occurs when you have set the tile to medium or large size and appropriately so.
Also, forgive the backlash. Being the barely forth place platform draws all sorts of ire from the more established OS users so we tend to get a good deal of trolling around here.
- 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM #28
@Flan is right. The larger you make your live tiles on your start screen the more information they will display. Also, I think not every app has that "Fliping Over" capability to display more info but I could be wrong about that.
01-19-2013, 02:40 AM #30
- 55 Posts
I agree as well. I absolutely love my 920 and get a huge kick out of my buddy that has a GS2...thats right, TWO! and claims its still better than my 920 because nokia is "low end crap compared to samsung" and that windows phone is inferior to android but cant give me 1 reason as to why other than a couple apps he uses that i have zero interest in. Every time i show him something like a live tile or my lock screen that has a bunch of info on it, he says that its not important, he doesnt want to put money into bill gates' pocket.
I love the looks i get when i pull out my yellow 920 amongst everyones iphones or GSX phones.
01-19-2013, 02:52 AM #31
- 175 Posts
I love my lumia too in spite of the lack of apps (I'm one of those who really want Instagram to come to WP),but I like the fact that I can find apps easily because the list is alphabetized and you could easily search for them within the phone.
It's also pretty unique compared to the sea of androids and iphones.
- 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM #32
So I've had a month with my L920 now. Previously an android user and spent some time flashing custom roms etc. In fact, that latter point was one of the reasons I made a change - too much choice/customisation became a bit of a pain. That, and the L920's camera. But ... you knew there was one... some basic things still get me.
1) The freezing issue - requiring a soft reboot - well, just to be clear the phone goes off (screen black) and the phone is unresponsive to anything but a soft reboot. This had only happened to me once in the past (while on the wireless charger). Today it's happened twice while off charge. Thankfully I wasn't relying it on an alarm this morning but after this, I doubt I ever would. I haven't updated to Portico (UK user and software isn't due out to February. Could do it manually but really I don't want to as not really sure that what I'll be loading will be what Nokia release to the UK).
2) On soft resetting, as I've done twice today, the time gets reset to September 2012, 5.30am. Auto setting the time has never worked on mine. It's really tedious to have to do this manually each time. Why doesn't this work?
3) App updates - it amazes me that there can be updates out there for apps that don't get pushed to my phone until a week or so later. Yesterday I had eight of them - could be that the crashing is related but with no idea which (or indeed if it's a newer app I've installed), it's a real hunt and pick to find the culprit (if there is one!). A combination of known unknowns and unknown unknowns. Arghh!
4) Nokia Drive - this was working perfectly until I actually REALLY needed it this weekend. Then the app was freezing/not updating.
5) MMS. Due to the bug with WP8 not accepting a port number after the MMS url, I can't send MMS over Virgin UK. This is documented in various places. No fix works for me unless I connect to data - I'm sure I don't need data on to receive MMS ...
6) Backup - given I've had to hard reset the phone a few times to try and solve issues already, the backup/restore solution is truly poor. I know this is well-acknowledges but I'm just listing the issues I'm having.
7) Swapping between WIFI networks - it just doesn't do it for me. I mean, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. CHecking any time I wander into range of a different network (we have a couple in our house) is a pain.
8) The WP store - this has been out of service at least four times in the last month (and I checked and worldwide people seemed to have issues). In fact, right NOW when I go to reinstall Nokia Drive, I get: "The Microsoft account service in unavailable at the moment. Try again later.'
I love the hardware, I love the OS in general terms, even the nokia official case is brilliant (soft one). But the basics are just that. Fundamental to operating the phone.
I'm struggling here. Any advice? (And pls don't tell me to return it as I've got a dud. I don't think there's anything wrong with the phone and I've never had to return a phone for hardware issues in the past.)
Ok. Just putting on protective armour now. FIRE AWAY!
Last edited by phander; 01-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
- 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM #34
Besides, I'm just not convinced there's anything 'wrong' with it, as such. THere are too many people with the same symptoms. If the number of people reporting 'issues' = the number of defective units, then Nokia have serious quality control issues...
- 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM #35
Nokia Drive is BETA i.e. NOT fully functional and only for those who are adventurous enough to test beta-apps. Compare this to Android beta-apps floating around in their development communities and you know it is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for a beta.
- 01-21-2013, 09:21 AM #38
01-21-2013, 09:23 AM #39
- 17 Posts
screen protectors are a waste of money. buy Dynaflo.
sometimes they do not bother fixing and send replacement. i have done a couple for the 900 and got a new one and it was a new batch with newest firmware(august). i am account manager for 60 lumias.
- 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM #41
I can honestly say I haven't had a single issue with my phone, nor the OS. I came from a long line of Android phones (OG Droid -> HTC Thunderbolt -> Galaxy Nexus -> HTC One X) and can honestly say that this phone works (for my purposes) more smoothly and better than any of these listed. I'd say, take off Nokia Drive and see if you still have some of the problems. As for the backup, well, it backs up pretty much everything I could by default on Android (Titanium Backup helped me switch from ROM to ROM without worrying about losing too much).
01-21-2013, 05:26 PM #42
- 229 Posts
just switched from 900 to 920 yesterday. So far the only issue has been that I can no longer connect to the secure wifi at work. It just will not allow me to connect. Strange.
The other things that changed I realize are by design, like no more radio, no iheartradio, no tango?
- 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM #43
That is how an app should use back up and restore and that is exactly how ALL our games should be made.
The other lame point is - I want it on my USB, I want it local. That's just a spoilt child shouting out first world problem. Anyone buying a Windows Phone should know that Microsoft's three screen one OS vision depends totally on a cloud. A cloud is constant EVERYWHERE, no matter what device. Hence encouraging back up and restore via cloud, storing music on cloud, storing docs on cloud and storing photos on cloud. They start everyone off with 7 GB free space. They know eventually people will find it much easier to have it on cloud that saving local copies. That man who wants a back up on a USB during his holiday - is he going to carry his back up USB along with him everywhere he goes?!! No. But cloud will be available everywhere. Yes the only instance when it can be done is at the start up where no WiFi is available, 3G data will be used. That needs to be fixed, just like Windows 8 restore and back up feature where WiFi is set up at the boot up stage.
Why I restored so many times in 8 months? Because I changed my carrier 2 times, hence swapped my phones. I changed colour thrice because I couldn't decide which colour I really wanted. And the other 3 times, it was because whatsapp and other apps disappeared from marketplace randomly and I hoped each time I would be able to restore it, only to later realise that it just won't be possible. So yeah, 8 restores and I am still happy.
01-23-2013, 05:08 AM #45
- 1 Posts
Lower the touch sensitivity just for the bottom few buttons as they get hit all the time causing apps to close or back to start menu, making for very bad user experience. Better yet lock them out when in apps for brief touches… give option to need to hold them for 1-2 seconds to make them work.
Microsoft OR/& Nokia Improvements,
1) Start screen display more info about who you missed calls from or received messages from, include an “option” to display the message.
2) Give an option to keep status bar at top active, instead of tapping it to see battery usage and network type.
3) Tapping the status bar at the top should give drop down menu of toggle on/off switches for: Bluetooth, Network Data, Wireless, NFC, and Flight Mode (silent mode).
4) The bing search button seems a bit of a waste of space, possibly in windows 8 or especially 9 this should be used for settings in apps, so as not to waste screen real estate with a big black bar, hit the search key and the settings menu or bar can then come up…. Such a waste of screen with the black bar for settings or options or search bar always static at bottom of screen…. Learn from other big companies don’t go backwards please. (Keep search bar at bottom of page not screen or top of page not screen… get it?
5) Start screen to also have option to use camera flash as torch…. This is not done on any phones but could be the most useful feature.
6) For some reason the proximity sensor on the Lumina 920 doesn't prevent the phone opening when covered (in pocket) allowing for screen always on in pocket… FIX IT properly please.
I am sure there is more but that's for later....
For now the Lumia 920 is awesome, add the above fixes some day sooner rather than later and it will be a kickass phone.
- 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM #46
I really enjoy the Lumia 920. I have had little to no technical issues with the phone save the following: the Bing search 'button'. Maybe I'm just ham-handed but I tend to accidently start Bing searches ALOT. Sometimes wish the capacitive button could be disabled that's how often I've reached for the phone and inadvertently started the search screen.
Similar situations when I'm on a call. I tend to use the speaker phone option to keep my hands free, (cause the external speaker on this phone is OUTSTANDING easily best in class), but I've found that from time to time it flips back and forth from the speaker to the headset speaker depending on how I'm handling the phone. MINOR issues if issues at all. Overall the phone has Excellent construction, snappy performance, beautiful screen I can't stop looking at. The phone feels good in the hand & its weight is FINE. The camera is solid, video recording is great, and the OS is fluid and functional. Games look GREAT on the phone and play without a hiccup. Battery life is GREAT with a mix of news heavy apps in use, constant podcast listening and netflix watching. I usually carry a top end Android phone as well simply because I need more apps but overall the Lumia is an outstanding piece if tech and I hope Microsoft really steps up and supports a great handset.
- 01-31-2013, 12:29 PM #49
I have only had my 920 for about 24 hours. So far its great! The main issue is figuring out how things work one w8. It is way different then Blackberry. The more I work with it the more impressed I am with how it pulls all info together so you do not have to search for it, info meaning contacts, social, etc... I am pleasantly surprised with the communication and multitasking abilities of this devise. That is something that is not promoted enough with this phone. One thing is going from a regular sim to a micro I need to figure out how to get all my info off my old sim! It will take me I while to figure out all this phone can do but I am looking forward to utilizing it fully.
- By umairawan in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 149Last Post: 11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
- By vtective in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 69Last Post: 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM
- By tissotti in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 42Last Post: 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
- By tissotti in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 1Last Post: 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
- By MA3LK in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 4Last Post: 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM