Would you choose Lumia 920 again?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with my 820, but I don't think I'd recommend it to a family member unless they knew exactly what they're getting themselves into.

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I hadn't wasted my upgrade on the 920. I have a red 920 from AT&T. I was a big fan of WP7 where I purchased an LG Quantum on day one. I liked the "Fresh" OS so much that I jumped immediately to WP8 as soon as it became available. I chose the 920 because of Nokia's track record for updating/upgrading deficiencies. However, given the constant uphill struggle with battery life, and an even more troubling issue that happens whenever I try to end a call, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't pass on the 920 for the new BB10 Z10. I left BB for WP7 because it had gotten stale, and the new Z10 appears to be enough to try and pull me back (if I hadn't wasted my upgrade).

I'm hoping you're right about the BB Z10 as I always had a little spot in my heart for them but as you said, they just got to far behind in their technology. This new OS and the devices look very promising. It's about the ONLY thing that could lure me away from my Lumia 920

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Its exactly as fast, it has the same processor and GPU ( though the Nokia has a faster response rate on the screen by a factor of two or three)

I believe you do get these on all Windows Phones now, if I'm not mistaken, or you soon will.

Sorry to hear you had trouble, though I wouldn't make that statement about build quality so matter-of-factly, based upon your anecdotal evidence. Its unfortunate you were unhappy, but Nokia is still widely recognized as having the best build quality second only to Apple perhaps. HTC is one of the nicer Asian makes though, certainly much nicer than Samsung at least.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. As regards the speed, there have been comparison tests on youtube ect and for some reason or other, the L920 is half a second or so faster, I don't know how or why, but still its going to be fast.
As regards the Nokia maps and Nokia drive, Im not sure if all of them have them I thought it would be something Nokia would cap to just Nokia Windows phones, but whatever. There are plenty of good quality 3rd party navigations apps out there.
As regards the build quality I still stand by what I originally said. I have had several HTC's first with the Legend, then the Desire and then the Titan, all of which have proven themselves for durability and quality. The finish on the Titan especially is one of the best I have ever seen on a phone. I have had a few Nokias going back 2 to 3 years, I had problems with dust getting under the screen, awful creaks from the frames of the phones and now the 920 giving me those problems. I may just be very unlucky when it comes to Nokias but what really grinds it for me is the price these Nokias are and especially to L920. Like I said I pad about ?530 for mine from amazon, ?200 more than I did for the Titan and that was less than a year ago. To me, they are not worth it. It doesn't make a difference to me what reputation Nokia have, I think they have always been and still are very overrated, and Apples hardware is diabolical, what with the incredibly weak screen and the latest iPhone 5 frames bending through people putting them in their pockets. They are getting worse. The original iPhones were built like bricks, not anymore as it turns out.

mick57

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Not unless the update situation improves.

I originally had an HTC 8X on O2 which received the Portico update in December liked Win Phone 8 and decided to buy am unlocked Nokia 920 and two months later still no Portico.

I don't care who is to blame Nokia or Microsoft for the update timing (I would assume it's Nokia) as the end result is still the same for me, SLOW UPDATES!

Dislike Google/Android, so unless it improves may have to wait for iPhone 6 / iOS 7

Faragondk

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I would buy Lumia 920 again. No portico yet though, but I know it is on its way, I'm patient. I switched from an iPhone 4s, and Apple does an incredible job updating all iOS units at the same time, maybe Nokia should get Microsoft to give them som server capacity, if it is what they lack. I know that my provider approved portico along time ago, so it is not a provider problem.

Last edited:

Axefield

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Most likely not, but I also don't see many options. Certainly not any other manufacturers WP and not Android. Maybe iPhone, I don't know.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Never again would I buy any Nokia product. QC was horrible on this phone. I have never bought a phone with so many problems or one I had to exchange after two weeks because of defects. Its a decent phone now but it took three months and an update just to make it descent. I could have spent my $500 on something with far less problems and a fully functional OS.

leebaboon

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Have had my 920 since early November, it has never worked properly... Portico came along and I was very enthusiastic about it, thought it would finally fix the issues.... Portico actually made my phone 50X worse, constant freezing its useless. UPS collected this morning for return to Nokia, I am still hoping I can enjoy the 920 but this is its last chance, if it comes back with further issues I will be looking at other platforms.

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would I choose the 920 again? No, because of the QC lottery and because WP8 is not ready yet.

Having said that, if they release an aluminium body one (do some proper QC) and Blue is all it is supposed to be then I will probably be the first in line again to buy it and the wife can finally have my 920 (she has been drooling over it ever since I bought it).

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a second one... Don't know what the problems you guys are facing. I brought an unlocked one with portico preinstalled. I'd issues, but they were app related like Whatsapp... The phone by itself is really good. Camera is awesome... I'm getting a days worth on H+, wifi always on, syncing 5 mail accounts hourly with two hour talk time (including Skype) and checking emails regularly. At the end of day I'm having 60% left. But this after uninstalling whatsapp. I don't know the issues with At&t firmware... I'm just wishing if like iOS, WP 8 receive updates directly without carrier's interference....

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I would buy the Lumia 920 again. I was in Best Buy the other day playing with some of the phones and I still favor the 920. Honestly there is not much I don't like about this phone. If I was going to build the perfect phone it would be a Windows Phone with a larger screen, removable battery and expandable storage. I know people want more apps but I don't need a million apps, I just need about a dozen good ones.

I know people love their iPhones but the iPhone 5 is still too small for my taste. Thank goodness it was tethered because it slipped out of my hand in the store! The thing I like best about iPhone is they have all the best quality apps and accessories. The physical phone itself doesn't appeal to me. I find the metal band around the phone unattractive and the static rows of apps is uninspiring.

I like the HTC 8X but 16 GB of fixed storage is a deal breaker.

My runner up is the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Big screen, removable battery, fairly quick performance, decent app store make it a contender. Something that colors my perception is a previous frustrating experience with Android phones: app crashes, random shutdowns, weird quirks, etc. Windows Phone has been rock solid in comparison.

gerbilly

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I would buy the Lumia 920 again. I was in Best Buy the other day playing with some of the phones and I still favor the 920. Honestly there is not much I don't like about this phone. If I was going to build the perfect phone it would be a Windows Phone with a larger screen, removable battery and expandable storage. I know people want more apps but I don't need a million apps, I just need about a dozen good ones.

I know people love their iPhones but the iPhone 5 is still too small for my taste. Thank goodness it was tethered because it slipped out of my hand in the store! The thing I like best about iPhone is they have all the best quality apps and accessories. The physical phone itself doesn't appeal to me. I find the metal band around the phone unattractive and the static rows of apps is uninspiring.

I like the HTC 8X but 16 GB of fixed storage is a deal breaker.

My runner up is the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Big screen, removable battery, fairly quick performance, decent app store make it a contender. Something that colors my perception is a previous frustrating experience with Android phones: app crashes, random shutdowns, weird quirks, etc. Windows Phone has been rock solid in comparison.

Spot on mate, that is the exact reasons I went with the 920.

I find android the most bug ridden OS, crashes too many times and is unstable. Also no matter how large the memory was on the phone I would sometimes get memory issues if running too many apps or downloading too many.
IOS is stable and you rarely get crashes, but my god it is boring as **** and hasnt changed in 6 years.

I like my 920 it is better looking than any phone out there, screen size is fine, screen quality is excellent, music sounds better than any android phone I have had and the OS is so clean and interesting to use.
Things I would also like are wireless synching and as you say some more quality apps (mobile banking, sky go , sonos controller, Instagram, BBC I Player)

I would also add thats as much as I have had good experiences with Nokia care, I think they should improve build quality as too many people have had problems with build quality.
They also need to improve supply levels and their own marketing, the difficulty in getting Nokia screenprotectors and cases and other accessories has been terrible.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Definitely would. Wife got one also and she loves it. She doesnt like to have to mess with the phone, I want to know how everything works and it works for both. Good call quality, great media, and great functionality for business.

Panda858

Banned
Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I would buy a note 2 if I had it to do over, android is just far more robust and useable than wp8 and will be for a long time (wp8 needs some big changes) and samsungs handsets really are shipped at a higher standard than nokia has offered w the 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte