Nokia Lumia 920 randomly shutting off?

jaredfrappe

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
So, I recently got my Lumia 920 three days ago, and every night since then, it shuts off and I have to turn it back on with a soft reset.
This mainly seems to happen overnight when I leave it charging. I know a lot of others have had this issue, but to me honestly, it doesn't seem like that of a big deal.

My main question is that, if I keep my phone without exchanging it for a new one, will this problem lead to greater issues? I already have everything set up and the AT&T store is an hour away.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Most likely cause is a WP 7 legacy app. Go through what you've recently downloaded and try uninstalling some. Usually games are the culprits.

Edit: and the accuweater Nokia app for some reason.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I switched from the 820 to the 8X. Exact same apps on them. Used to have the frequent 'shut downs' twice a day on my 820, after switching to the 8X, not a single reboot. I think it's OS wise and Nokia needs to fix it.

One of the reasons I made the switch was because it would go into a dead state ever too often, and why should I check my phone every 10 minutes to see if it died?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I switched from the 820 to the 8X. Exact same apps on them. Used to have the frequent 'shut downs' twice a day on my 820, after switching to the 8X, not a single reboot. I think it's OS wise and Nokia needs to fix it.

One of the reasons I made the switch was because it would go into a dead state ever too often, and why should I check my phone every 10 minutes to see if it died?

Do you know if your 820 had portico? I know the 8x have it if its not acting up?

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I think that you have good one ... but there is a plenty of similar claims applied for HTC 8X

HTC 8X reboots: http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/200872-reboots.html

HTC 8X died on its own: http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/210010-htc-8x-died-its-own.html

jaredfrappe

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I thought that it may be an app causing it, I will run through and delete some of the apps I downloaded on the first day I got it.
I'll keep you updated!

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, lucky me then! Had enough problems with my 820, if the reboot problem had surfaced on my 8X, I'd probably have gone back to iOS.

astroboy100

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thing happened today for me - I had to change my wifi password and forgot to update it on my phone. It "locked up" several times in the past couple hours until I updated my wifi connection on my phone as well...so maybe it has something to do with wifi connectivity as well - eg. if it temporarily loses wifi and attempts to connect again, and then "locks up" as a result of this.

vpkb

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
920 here and have been seeing this shutdown you described. I only gave 3 apps or so running in the background and I haven't downloaded any new apps. Although, I am certain this only started after the last phone system files (display and one other) update.

Nasser Alsalhabi

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Apply GDR2 update. It will resolve the problem. You can download Nokia Suite and apply it or take it to Nokia Care to apply it for you.

This update fixes the problem and add more features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234