Battery issues... Microsoft & Nokia developers...read this......

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased YOUR phone..spent MY money and got an amazing piece of hardware. the only thing letting it down is YOUR programming! Seriously, I bought a phone where:

I want NFC ON
I want all Background tiles LIVE
I want 4G
I want Allways on WIFI
I want pushed emails

IF I actually get what I want then my battery lasts for only a few hours or so..EH? WTF is up with that!

YES I have turned everything off (even push notifications) and my phone feels like something from the stone age, if I wanted a phone where I had to switch EVERYTHING OFF then I would not get YOUR phone.

PUT YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER

If Blue update doesnt fix this widespread battery drainage issue I will be....urmm...hmm...still a captive consumer monkey that throws good money on good hardware designed by good people let down by ***** software full of bugs. Ever heard of testing?

rant over, im off to bed to dream of a device with 24 hour battery life..who knows, it may be a blackberry!...you have 1 chance..dont blow it.

Last edited by a moderator:

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Microsoft & nokia developers...read this......

I purchased YOUR phone..spent MY money and got an amazing piece of hardware. the only thing letting it down is YOUR programming! Seriously, I bought a phone where:

I want NFC ON
I want all Background tiles LIVE
I want 4G
I want Allways on WIFI
I want pushed emails

IF I actually get what I want then my battery lasts for only a few hours or so..EH? WTF is up with that!

YES I have turned everything off (even push notifications) and my phone feels like something from the stone age, if I wanted a phone where I had to switch EVERYTHING OFF then I would not get YOUR phone.

PUT YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER

If Blue update doesnt fix this widespread battery drainage issue I will be....urmm...hmm...still a captive consumer monkey that throws good money on good hardware designed by good people let down by ***** software full of bugs. Ever heard of testing?

rant over, im off to bed to dream of a device with 24 hour battery life..who knows, it may be a blackberry!...you have 1 chance..dont blow it.

You'll find if you have 4G, blutooth, NFC, etc... all on with all live tiles, the battery will die...much like it will with any android phone or iphone....

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
You'll find if you have 4G, blutooth, NFC, etc... all on with all live tiles, the battery will die...much like it will with any android phone or iphone....

Not true. My Lumia will get scorching hot and burn through its battery in 4-5 hours. My iPhone will last 12-18 hours. There's a bug in either the OS or the firmware that causes Lumias (maybe other WP8 too, not sure) to spin out of control and run at 100% for unknown reasons. This isn't just a settings issue.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Not experiencing those issues with my 920 on ATT with Portico

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Not true. My Lumia will get scorching hot and burn through its battery in 4-5 hours. My iPhone will last 12-18 hours. There's a bug in either the OS or the firmware that causes Lumias (maybe other WP8 too, not sure) to spin out of control and run at 100% for unknown reasons. This isn't just a settings issue.

Does iPhone have:
live tiles? NO.
NFC? NO.
4G? only one model has it.

so it isn't a fair comparison at all.
even microsoft and nokia says to turn off unneeded background apps.
do you actually use NFC regularly? if not, it should be turned off obviously.
also, always on wifi is available with lastest Portico update. if you're not updated, it's your carrier's fault.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is true. I have to admit that the battery on my 920 is worse than my old 4. So sad. It is probably a software bug, but Nokia better fix this asap...

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

on wp8, you have tons of tiles constantly updating. On your iphone, the most you have is a weather, email and probably fb or stock market app. While on wp8 you have people hub, all integrated message hub, push message from several messaging app, news tiles and countless more.

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

I have live tiles on, NFC, wifi, LTE, 10 email accounts being pushed, and 7 background tasks and the phone can easily go 2 days on one charge.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry this thread made me laugh. However my phone is fine. I get a good 12-13 charge before getting near dead and have everything turned on.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I just think the whole industry is backwards. The good old blackberrys had 4 days usage without neding to charge, yes the lates phones have better screens, cameras, and 'bloatware' but what is the point of any of it if you cant use it in the real world. If im at work on a friday and go out from work on a friday night and didnt charge it at work then it would be nice to be able to use it after maybe 15 hours to call a cab! Nokia - MAKE ALL YOUR PHONES WITH A REMOVABLE BATTERY..prettty please with a blackberry on top.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

on wp8, you have tons of tiles constantly updating. On your iphone, the most you have is a weather, email and probably fb or stock market app. While on wp8 you have people hub, all integrated message hub, push message from several messaging app, news tiles and countless more.
So? Is that suppose to be an excuse for poor battery?

Boggy79

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

The reported battery issues seem to be totally random. I don't have NFC on (nothing to use it on so no point) but WiFi is always on since Portico. I've sent a few messages today including a pic I took, played a few games at lunch, did the usual Facebook browsing/emails/googling on the toilet.
7 Hours since my last charge and I've got 87% left. My 920 has been like this since day one?!?!?

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yep its very strange. Guess 8.1 will be the crunch point, I cant wait to start threads about how GREAT the battery life is. I love this damn phone, will be a shame to use it as a door stop.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site

I agree the battery life could be better but I have LTE, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, live tiles and email on. Tap & Send is off because I have no use for it. My phone will get warm occasionally if I talk for a long time but not what I would call hot. I put it on the wireless charger at night, restart in the morning and it lasts all day. That is all I really need it to do. I've owned other phones where I carried a spared battery and swapped it out during the day. Obviously some people are having a battery problem with the 920 but not everyone.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Great, i fear its rather a case of some people having no problems but most are. I work from home so have wifi switchedon, ive put all my emails to manual as i use a desktop all day, all background tasks are off, NFC is off, ive got it on 3G. IE is closed properly, Ive reset it then swithed it off and on, ive got the latest software and the damn thing still leaks power faster than dear Liza's bucket leaks water :/

anyways, enough ranting from me and im tired of seeing so many thrreads about battery issues as overall its a great phone and have to give MS/Noika a chance. But they better not screw it up!

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OMG RAGE-GASM!

Come on. If you want 4 days worth of use, go pick up an old BB. They're cheap on eBay. But if you want the advanced functionality of a modern smartphone, there's no way you're going to get away without charging it every day. The hardware is too powerful and the OS has too much going on, whether it's WP, kOS, or Android.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
RE: Microsoft & nokia developers...read this......

I've never had an iPhone last all day with usage (stock monitoring, email, forum apps, sms, phone, and probably more), stock or jailbroken, and my 920 is no different, except occasionally it will ast over a day. Twice a month, if I had to guess, the battery does drain faster than normal (not sure why). Most of the time I can go partially into the next day without a charge...not so much with the iPhones I used. Its a smart phone, not a 2001 flip-phone with minimal capabilities and is not going to last days on a single charge. I have an old Sony Ericsson radio phone I'll sell you if extended battery life is what you need (its 3G 😁).
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

uswebworx

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
RE: Microsoft & nokia developers...read this......

Still no update and am about to trade mine for another iPhone. Hate apple but need this phone to work. Separate volume controls would be a god send for me and a Facebook app that works and Firefox.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb