Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Zoom for taking pictures? 8.7MP camera but no zoom?
    Good Battery App
    Weather App that works better than Weather.com who is so far up Apples *** it isn't funny
    Better Browser than IE (Firefox/Chrome)
    and of course the stuff already mentioned in 1000's of threads, Separate volume controls?
    Any suggestions or tips?

I love my Lumia, glad I didn't take it back!

Thanks in advance for any tips

The weather app I use is amazing weather. Live tiles are great, an update accordingly. I never even have to open the app because all the info I need is on the live tile :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbean7077 View Post
    The weather app I use is amazing weather. Live tiles are great, an update accordingly. I never even have to open the app because all the info I need is on the live tile :)
    Name of this weather app please?

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uswebworx View Post
    Better Browser than IE (Firefox/Chrome)
    Thanks in advance for any tips
    What's wrong with IE?

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    What's wrong with IE?
    Slow, buggy, and slow.....just as it is on a pc. I have the option to change so I do. IE doesn't have many features I rely on and it is SLOW

Not sure what you mean by zoom, but if u pinch zoom and then capture picture, it does digital zoom. If you mean optical zoom, sorry, that ain't happening easily on these non-retractable lenses....

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Slow, buggy, and slow.....just as it is on a pc. I have the option to change so I do. IE doesn't have many features I rely on and it is SLOW
    You say IE 10 is slow?

Lolzers.

IE is a great browser... Web developers need to stop targeting crappy non standard browsers. If they stay with actual W3C standards, IE can out perform all other products. And none of the other browsers even compare on security.

Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevethenerd View Post
    IE is a great browser... Web developers need to stop targeting crappy non standard browsers. If they stay with actual W3C standards, IE can out perform all other products. And none of the other browsers even compare on security.
    WebKit is THE standard for mobile.. No clue what Microsoft was thinking with IE for Windows Mobile.. Don't put their poor decision on web devs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    IE10 is really good , missing couple of things but really fast and stable !
    as for battery app I don't know why people love these app , I feel it drains the battery faster !!
    as a weather app , just go with Amazing weather HD or Weather flow , both are really good and wp8 updated .

Good luck .
    Thanked by:

Zoom for taking pictures? 8.7MP camera but no zoom?
    I think camera zoom in wp8 works with a pinch gesture (wp7 user here).

weather app: Amazing Weather

good browser like Firefox/Chrome? None, unfortunately. They're all based on the IE engine. My favourite is UC Browser, but it throws low memory warnings occasionally. It's got some nice features so I keep IE as a backup.

Thanks for the replies so far. As for Steve opinions weren't asked for but I thank you for yours. I disagree as would 155+ clients I have :-)
    Firefox is my standard and security isn't an issue for me as I don't even run anti-virus :-) Most good IT people don''t

Firefox is even worse than IE these days. I develop for the web, and I've nearly dumped Firefox. Its not a browser attached to an OS like Chrome and IE, so its quickly losing market share again now that Chrome is kicking ***. I use Chrome as my home base and just check IE and FF for production.

I love everything MS has been doing lately, but IE is still a thorn in the ***. Its constantly the browser i have to use CSS fallbacks for, or have to add proprietary hacks to get it to work. Anyone who says "just follow standards, IE is great" has no idea what they are talking about. Even IE9 doesn't support simple things like CSS gradients, etc.

That being said, Chrome doesn't have the proper anti-aliasing engine in place for @font-face engines. So, each browser has its issues. But IE is just plain stupid about it.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by spaulagain View Post
    Firefox is even worse than IE these days. I develop for the web, and I've nearly dumped Firefox. Its not a browser attached to an OS like Chrome and IE, so its quickly losing market share again now that Chrome is kicking ***. I use Chrome as my home base and just check IE and FF for production.

I love everything MS has been doing lately, but IE is still a thorn in the ***. Its constantly the browser i have to use CSS fallbacks for, or have to add proprietary hacks to get it to work. Anyone who says "just follow standards, IE is great" has no idea what they are talking about. Even IE9 doesn't support simple things like CSS gradients, etc.

That being said, Chrome doesn't have the proper anti-aliasing engine in place for @font-face engines. So, each browser has its issues. But IE is just plain stupid about it.
    I agree to a point. Except about IE and I am trying to stay away from Google as much as possible. I am still using FF and love it, I too test for all browsers.
    I prefer Opera for most things just am still migrating

Like above, the best weather app is Amazing Weather HD. It's quite large too, I think it's like 81mb. I paid for it as well. Works wonderfully.
    For the battery, I use Battery Widget.
    Camera zoom, just pinch to zoom on the screen.

pinch to zoom
    no need for battery app
    Weather by Microsoft. lives tiles everything.
    and IE 10 is so good I won't change.
    Last edited by ttxzee; 02-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Fireworks with Nokia Living Images (1520): http://youtu.be/QlHrQ2QDYGo
    In-Depth Surface Pro 3 User Review: http://youtu.be/G8nABpcKun8
    In-Depth Surface Pro 3 VS Pro 2: http://youtu.be/lJt0DRuzb8g
    Surface Pro 3 Pen: N-trig VS Wacom: http://youtu.be/rPkzifnJAGg
    Surface Pro 3 Pen Battery Replacement: http://youtu.be/ztoQVjX21WI
    VERY in-depth Surface 2 VS Surface RT: http://youtu.be/93mCnCNZuKY

Found the Camera Zoom. Thanks
    Still have the phone on my 14th day (today)
    Am learning stuff slowly in between work.

Integrated Facebook and Un-synced Contacts (finally)
    Wish I could control the volume better, seems too low or too high no in between.
    Bought an Otterbox
    Need to order another sync cable for charging and car charger and find a car holder that accepts a phone in a case.
    Wish I had better control over email, especially the not deleting from server on my own domain name.

More later but thanks for all the help so far

Despite running the same rendering engine as IE, I highly recommend UC Browser
    UC Browser | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

It comes with a few nifty features that really add onto the usability of IE.
    To start with, it starts with a quick-start menu. So, that's already a big plus for me. Check it out.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I would also recommend Amazing Weather HD but the livetile never seems to update for me until I open the app.

Just ran into an issue, I powered my phone off by holding the button below the volume and when I turned it back on had the lightening bolt/gear icons. I fixed that but am curious how to properly turn the phone off?

I use both Amazing weather HD and Battery Level for wp8 and find them really good.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Just ran into an issue, I powered my phone off by holding the button below the volume and when I turned it back on had the lightening bolt/gear icons. I fixed that but am curious how to properly turn the phone off?
    Hold it for a couple of seconds then slide it down.

Thanks.
    Downloaded UC browser and its quick.

Powered it off same as suggested and it worked this time. Thanks

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    You can't be serious. IE10 is seriously fast. Only mobile safari can really match it for speed. It doesn't have a great amount of features (which can be added through UC browser anyway) but for the most part, it is a very good browser. I prefer it over all the countless browsers I've used on my android devices. Firefox and Chrome for android are not fast browsers. They're feature rich, but not fast.
    Thanked by:
    mjrtoo 

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    People still living in the past, try IE10 - it's a great browser.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast