Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

I am back in that river in glen echo.... Annoying, really annoying

Global Posts
    32,916 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by fardream View Post
    I am back in that river in glen echo.... Annoying, really annoying
    That's not a device issue. That's AT&T's fault. It's a bug in their network.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    That's not a device issue. That's AT&T's fault. It's a bug in their network.
    thanks, I know it's an ATT issue.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    to follow up: the "glen echo" event was only occurring intermittently. took my 920 to the att techs to see if they knew anything and/or had recommendations. they replaced the sim and the event reoccurred. not only that, my location would alternate between seattle and brookmont when I hit the locate me button on nokia maps...almost every time. the techs suggested resetting the device. started this just past 3pm. it's almost 11pm and the reset is still not complete. just a little frustrated right now and am hoping this sorts itself out my morning. not sure who all is at fault but this is beginning to sour my nokia experience.

Global Posts
    32,916 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmacklin View Post
    to follow up: the "glen echo" event was only occurring intermittently. took my 920 to the att techs to see if they knew anything and/or had recommendations. they replaced the sim and the event reoccurred. not only that, my location would alternate between seattle and brookmont when I hit the locate me button on nokia maps...almost every time. the techs suggested resetting the device. started this just past 3pm. it's almost 11pm and the reset is still not complete. just a little frustrated right now and am hoping this sorts itself out my morning. not sure who all is at fault but this is beginning to sour my nokia experience.
    It's AT&T, not Nokia.

AT&T has had issues with the location on Android devices too. http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-i...-location.html
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-a...ease-help.html

he just wanted to blame on Nokia, and that reset time it took might indicate a faulty unit too.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaripi View Post
    Rdef made a good question ... if you have a problem with GPS, are you using a case for your phone ?
    we maybe onto something , does anyone else having problems with GPS are using a phone case?
    how about phone case such as this ? the top and bottom are completely exposed, will the this type of case still affect the GPS reading ???

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    It's AT&T, not Nokia.
    thanks. most helpful. and, so you know, this "reset" has now been going on for 16 hours! gps notwithstanding, am sure that's likely an att issue, too? either way, my point was to share information on my experience with the gps problem!

rickosw, yes, I use a case with my 920 but the gps problem occurred with and without the case. oh, and in the event you haven't read the couple postings in this thread, it's a network issue!!
    Last edited by pjmacklin; 02-19-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: content

Global Posts
    32,916 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Quote Originally Posted by pjmacklin View Post
    thanks. most helpful. and, so you know, this "reset" has now been going on for 16 hours! gps notwithstanding, am sure that's likely an att issue, too? either way, my point was to share information on my experience with the gps problem!

rickosw, yes, I use a case with my 920 but the gps problem occurred with and without the case. oh, and in the event you haven't read the couple postings in this thread, it's a network issue!!
    It's possible that a reset was not even necessary. AT&T (and any other provider) typically do not have very helpful or knowledgeable customer service reps. The first thing they will tell you is "reset your device" no matter what device you have, especially if they don't know the right answer. That's their standard line.

I typically don't trust AT&T reps to have any knowledge of problems, and they rarely admit their network is the problem. When I used a BlackBerry, AT&T wouldn't even admit that there was a global BIS outage; of course I knew about the outage from CrackBerry (and even the New York Times had a story), yet the AT&T rep sounded clueless.
    HeyCori likes this.
    Mod Emeritus

Global Posts
    5,299 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakazul View Post
    GPS positioning in Nokia is really bad. Tryed Edumondo, RunTastic and Marathon. After testing these apps i get a 600! 600 meters off in length. Nokia City Lens or what its called calibrates really bad.
    Draining power and what not i can live with....but 600 meter.
    Never tried those apps so I can't comment but Nokia Drive has yet to fail me.

Instead of store AT&T, if you're lucky and have a AT&T device support center, head up there. Those guys are little more knowledgeable and have patience too.

Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    well, lak611, knowledgeable or not, the att reps are one of the few options if I legitimately need help. the parroting of issues here, real or otherwise, can sometimes be helpful in identifying issues but useless otherwise. it's been pointed out a couple times prior to your input that the gps issue is likely network related. in the days leading to my visit to the att techs yesterday, I had employed a couple different work arounds but was hoping they had a better solution. apparently the factory reset fried my lumia.

of note, I was the first to visit the tech department at the local att store this morning. and, yes, they ended up replacing my lumia. the next two gentlemen, both lumia owners, seemed to be experiencing reset issues, one of which dated back to sunday past. oh, and one of the guys was a Microsoft employee!! an interesting little wrinkle!

as I mentioned, my lumia was replaced. getting my information over was reasonably painless though it seemed there were cosmetic changes to certain web pages. the gps problem, at least initially, persists! the weather channel located my device in Bethesda, MD. will continue to work through and look for a solution. hopefully this will sort itself out soon.

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Just a heads up, but early last week (last monday or tuesday) i uninstalled a bunch of apps (mostly geolocation apps) that i really don't use often and disabled the "keep wifi on" setting. My phone hasn't had a freeze/unresponsive/appears-turned-off episode since.... or put me in the middle of that river in Glen Echo

Before it would happen at least every other day or up to twice a day with the freezing, or a few times a week with the Glen Echo thing...

Give it a try unchecking the "keep wifi on..." setting, and/or uninstalling a few location apps

The only apps i have in the background are:
    Amazing Weather HD
    Markets & Me +

and then while i'm driving i'll turn on:
    HERE Drive+ Beta

Or when i'm running:
    Runtastic PRO

Fellow Lumia 920 GPS Sufferers,

I experienced GPS problem, too. Based on my case, I found the answer.
    Previously I have performed
    Soft reset, didn't work.
    Hard reset, didn't work.
    Updated the OS, didn't work.
    I brought it to Nokia Care Center Singapore, they reflashed the device, still didn't work.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled Nokia Maps, still didn't work.
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled my apps one by one to see which one was causing conflict, didn't work either.
    Juxtaposed with Note II's Google Maps whether areas where I tried GPS were having bad signal. Still failed.
    Consulted Nokia Care's Twitter, they had no specific clue.

At last, I brought my phone to Nokia Care Center Singapore for the second time. After making significant noise and sternly warned them that I ask for Brand New replacement if the third time still fruitless. Now they took the matters more seriously, and they diagnosed that they had to replace certain component attached to the motherboard (they didn't specify what that component is, they always have poor communication between service counter staffs and technicians). They believed this part is faulty, (I believed it to be factory defect), and it could not be removed from motherboard, so they replaced the motherboard all together. After setting the parameters, also turning on My Location in Maps Background Setting, now, finally the GPS works (so far). It even picked up signal and locked my position faster than Note II. I still yet to try it on more occasions. It is safe to say that the problem lies with the hardware.
    Thanked by:
    GSOgymrat and Rickosw like this.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andre syamsuar View Post
    Fellow Lumia 920 GPS Sufferers,

I experienced GPS problem, too. Based on my case, I found the answer.
    Previously I have performed
    Soft reset, didn't work.
    Hard reset, didn't work.
    Updated the OS, didn't work.
    I brought it to Nokia Care Center Singapore, they reflashed the device, still didn't work.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled Nokia Maps, still didn't work.
    I even uninstalled and reinstalled my apps one by one to see which one was causing conflict, didn't work either.
    Juxtaposed with Note II's Google Maps whether areas where I tried GPS were having bad signal. Still failed.
    Consulted Nokia Care's Twitter, they had no specific clue.

At last, I brought my phone to Nokia Care Center Singapore for the second time. After making significant noise and sternly warned them that I ask for Brand New replacement if the third time still fruitless. Now they took the matters more seriously, and they diagnosed that they had to replace certain component attached to the motherboard (they didn't specify what that component is, they always have poor communication between service counter staffs and technicians). They believed this part is faulty, (I believed it to be factory defect), and it could not be removed from motherboard, so they replaced the motherboard all together. After setting the parameters, also turning on My Location in Maps Background Setting, now, finally the GPS works (so far). It even picked up signal and locked my position faster than Note II. I still yet to try it on more occasions. It is safe to say that the problem lies with the hardware.
    which Nokia Service Center ? Harbour Front / Jurong Point?

You can also post on hardwarezone fourm, to let the others know :-)
    Last edited by Rickosw; 04-08-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Seems to be hardware defect then. My device is very accurate, at least 5 meters with A-GPS inside the city. Didn't try in rural areas or on a road (without wifi or cellular signals), though.

was having inaccurate GPS location issue when it's new, try using it for longer time after a few restarts..
    also try to go outdoor instead of indoor when determining your current location...
    mine works after several attempts and been accurate ever since...

:)

Quote Originally Posted by Nakazul View Post
    GPS positioning in Nokia is really bad. Tryed Edumondo, RunTastic and Marathon. After testing these apps i get a 600! 600 meters off in length. Nokia City Lens or what its called calibrates really bad.
    Draining power and what not i can live with....but 600 meter.

Global Posts
    1,150 Global Posts
    I've not had any problems with the GPS on my 920. It accurately locks onto my location. I've used it for Geocaching, getting me down to accuracy of several feet.

I have not had any problems with the GPS on my 920. It quickly locates me and Drive+, for example, routes me in a matter of seconds after starting the application.

My L920's GPS has always been fast and accurate.

mine works fine, indoor, outdoor... few seconds and get locked. also went climbing and in the middle of nowhere with just phone signal, but not even 2g connection, still get locked and accurate to a few mt (i was on the top of the mountain, so it was pretty easy to see that i was in the right place).

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hmm sad to hear some of you having these issues. My L920 GPS has be dead accurate using HERE maps and HERE drive+. Even works when I am indoors..

Toronto, Canada here.

mine also has issues after the most recent Here maps/drive+ update. It used to be quick and dead accurate. Now, I had to be online for it to get my location..

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    It really is hard to pin-point the cause of the problem unless you plug it into a diagnostic machine.

People can give you their experiences an fixes, but that might not work for you. GPS issues could be caused by number of things. Hardware, Software, weather, signal, carrier.

works pretty good while on a plane!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20130412_0001%5B1%5D.png  
    raycpl likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast