Battery life

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
10-15 hours with moderate to heavy use for me. (Whatsapp, sms, twitter, skype, browsing, listening to music for 30 mins). Plus, I found out that using a static photo on the lock screen boosts battery life on standby greatly!

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is so sporadic. Now granted I don't use it the same amount each and everyday but generally speaking, you'd think there would be some kind of pattern. About half the time the phone is completely dead on its face by 4 or 5pm. The other half, i'll have 60% and 1day of life left at 10pm when i go to bed.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently at 41% and 1 day and 20 hours since my last charge. I've probably played games a total of 3-4 hours on this charge, although not the most graphically intense of games. About 1-2 hours worth of various apps and browsing. Took a few photos. Some Skydrive use and email and texting.

Battery life has been great for quite some time now. My other Lumia 920 with the broken screen has been in airplane mode for weeks without needing to be recharged.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery life used to be pretty poor, but it has improved after I started leaving it on the charger at 100% for ~30 minutes and turning off wifi when it's not in use. My phone has been off the charger since 6 AM, it's now 3:50 PM and I'm at 85%. This isn't amazing battery life, but it is pretty good considering moderate usage. It's also a big improvement on how my battery life used to be! Overall, I'm finally satisfied with the battery life on my phone.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I typically get around 35-40 hours of normal usage before the battery drains completely. There are some random days (once a month or so) when the battery drains much quicker. A reboot seems to fix the issue and hopefully the next round of updates will iron out these discrepancies. Here is a screenshot from a week ago :).
wp_ss_20130128_0002.png

nokia3660

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I would feel lucky if it can make it past 12 hrs without recharging. I have had the phone for 3 days and feel very disappointed by the battery life. However if I turn-off mobile data and set it to 2G the drain seem to be very less.

I really hope that this is a software bug since I bought the phone on ebay and am not sure if I can get a proper replacement.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Your battery life will be amazing if you follow these steps
1) Turn on Battery Saver on
2) In settings disable all background process when not opened
3) Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth and Navigation when not using it
4) Turn on NFC only when you are using it
5) Always use 2G. However if you are using internet data, then switch to 3G and turn back to 2G once you are done. I know its cumbersome.

I follow this practice and my battery lasts for 3 days with average calling and 2 hours of music every day :p

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I typically get around 35-40 hours of normal usage before the battery drains completely. There are some random days (once a month or so) when the battery drains much quicker. A reboot seems to fix the issue and hopefully the next round of updates will iron out these discrepancies. Here is a screenshot from a week ago :).
View attachment 28785

How do you do it ? (your pic shows over 3 days) - do you keep your mobile network on 2G as maximum connection speed ? ... and just switch to higher connection speed when needed ?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just had a weird thing happen on my 4th 920. My phone was hot and at 96% so I powered down the phone and powered it back up and now its at 82%. How could I have lost 14% battery life by turning the phone off then on? Microsoft really needs to fix this poor OS. 4 of my friends have already jumped back to IOS due to battery issues on their htc's and 920s.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
How do you do it ? (your pic shows over 3 days) - do you keep your mobile network on 2G as maximum connection speed ? ... and just switch to higher connection speed when needed ?

The estimated time remaining (3 days) is not very accurate and can change quite a bit with consistent usage. My real world tests show that I get ~40hrs of normal usage and that is better than any smartphone I have owned in the past. I have very good LTE reception at work and home the two places that I spend most of my time and IMO it is rather pointless to use a flagship phone in 2G mode.:wink:

I have wifi always on, NFC turned off, bluetooth turned off and location mostly off. I toggle location when I need to use Maps/Nokia Drive and the GPS fix is pretty quick for me.
Turned off background tasks for most of the applications including Nokia Drive. I uninstalled skype early on when I found my battery life taking a considerable hit and I have had no real problems since then.
Try turning off the background tasks for your applications and see if it helps

Xyles

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to ask, it it bad for the phone''s battery if battery saver is constantly on?

I am asking this because I noticed some screenshots with 77% battery but saver on.

mv740

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The estimated time remaining (3 days) is not very accurate and can change quite a bit with consistent usage. My real world tests show that I get ~40hrs of normal usage and that is better than any smartphone I have owned in the past. I have very good LTE reception at work and home the two places that I spend most of my time and IMO it is rather pointless to use a flagship phone in 2G mode.:wink:

I have wifi always on, NFC turned off, bluetooth turned off and location mostly off. I toggle location when I need to use Maps/Nokia Drive and the GPS fix is pretty quick for me.
Turned off background tasks for most of the applications including Nokia Drive. I uninstalled skype early on when I found my battery life taking a considerable hit and I have had no real problems since then.
Try turning off the background tasks for your applications and see if it helps
will turning location off and deleting skype really help the battery? Because for now to help my l920 i turned lte off to 3g because it was killing the battery. Btw i have a very good lte reception.

hudsonvalley

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
in addition to my previous post - my battery life worsened about a week or so ago, all I did was run some updates, plus now I have LTE in my area, had 4g before.
i have no GPS, no Bluetooth, no WIFI, no NFC, no background tasks running except 2 weather apps. I do have Skype on most of the time, but this is the way it has always been. I know Skype for W8 is basically useless as it lags behind and has no functionality. I barely watch video or listen to the music, just few emails and few phonecalls. Take few pics here and there. Overall no excessive use.
I can't pinpoint what killed my battery.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been searching for this maximum connection speed setting but cannot seem to find it. I have 4G LTE at home and it appears to affect battery life, but there is no such category as "mobile network" in settings. All I can find is an option to turn off the data connection completely. Am I simply blind and don't realize it yet?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been searching for this maximum connection speed setting but cannot seem to find it. I have 4G LTE at home and it appears to affect battery life, but there is no such category as "mobile network" in settings. All I can find is an option to turn off the data connection completely. Am I simply blind and don't realize it yet?

AT&T has removed this setting from their Windows Phones. An alternative is to dial ##3282, hit the three dots at the lower-right, and go to settings. This is a field test, and allows you to force the network connection to 3G... just remember their phones say "4G" when on 3G... That tripped me up for a while. I thought the setting wasn't working, but it does.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
will turning location off and deleting skype really help the battery? Because for now to help my l920 i turned lte off to 3g because it was killing the battery. Btw i have a very good lte reception.

Cant hurt to try it out and see if it makes a difference. You can always re-install skype if it doesnt help your cause. I dont change any of the cellular settings and my battery life is pretty good.
I had installed skype beta as soon as I got the phone and my battery life the first 2-3 days was barely lasting 16-18 hrs but its been stellar since I uninstalled skype.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried running the 920 on 2G/GSM only as see how the battery does in that mode ? And if the phone still warms up if you are using whatsap.. if it doesn't, the whole battery thing might have something to do with the networking stack in WP 8.

Try 2g only, 3g only, and LTE.. and see what the difference is between the 3 modes.

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a weird question but... do you make many voice calls?

No, not at work. I always put the phone in Airplane Mode while at work because there isn't any signal (and thus, it's not having to use juice looking for a cignal constantly). It's pretty haed to make calls in Airplane Mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss