920 freezing up

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My 920 freezes up a few times a week where the screen is black and it's unresponsive. I need to press volume down and power for 10 seconds to make it reboot.

I've seen other people online are having the same issue. I'm still not sure if it's a hardware issue or WP8 issue.

Has anyone been able to solve this issue? Is it only s 920 issue?

Some other threads I found:

Report your issue here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...nter-your-details-[will-submitted-nokia].html

Topic at Microsoft
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ight-and/d723dc1f-d3c8-413f-8456-6bad97968216

Last edited:

jakem1

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My partner had this problem with a contract phone. We tried a few things including a hard reset but nothing fixed it so in the end we had it replaced. The replacement works fine which makes me wonder whether it was a hardware problem.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I was wondering if I should try and get a replacement or wait for a software update. I'll probably try to get a replacement.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I was wondering if I should try and get a replacement or wait for a software update. I'll probably try to get a replacement.

It is WP8 issue ... other brands have the same problem ... as an temporary fix, you can disable wi-fi and enable it only when needed ... no exact data about what causes that, mostly reported after installing new apps, during charging (I think more during wireless charging) and some people think that disabling some accounts, like fb account, might help or reduce that problem ... this is just that you can get an idea about that problem ... I believe that it is OS problem (maybe caused by a hang of a certain connection during sleep or when trying sleep resume on background) ...

Last edited:

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
hmm if it's an OS issue, how come there have not been any articles written about it on any of the news sites and why is it taking them so long to release a fix. Plus if it is a bug they should let ppl know instead of wondering if they should return the phone or not.

I even contacted Nokia and they said to reset the phone to defaults and if i still had the problem, id have to send it in to get looked at. If it was a software bug they should say so and then i would just wait for the fix. Why would they want to waste their time evaluating my phone.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Get it replaced, but I'm warning u, their refurbished phones r a piece of ****t, I got my 5th Lumia 920 yesterday and vibration rattles and looks like someone was tampering with the SIM card tray hole, and light leaking pretty bad at bottom of screen. I'm furious. Their sending me a 6th phone.and they refuse to give me a brand new one

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
That stinks. My vibrate rattles too, I just figured it was normal. I may try and get a replacement from the place I bought it from first but it's been over 30 days. Nokia said I need to send it in but then they said I should contact retailer to see what my options are. Other than this issue it's a great phone but it's very annoying as u can't rely on it to wake you up. Plus if you're on call at work and it's locked up while your sleeping, you could be in deep **** with your employer.

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That stinks. My vibrate rattles too, I just figured it was normal. I may try and get a replacement from the place I bought it from first but it's been over 30 days. Nokia said I need to send it in but then they said I should contact retailer to see what my options are. Other than this issue it's a great phone but it's very annoying as u can't rely on it to wake you up. Plus if you're on call at work and it's locked up while your sleeping, you could be in deep **** with your employer.

yep, and ya the vibrating motor bothers me so much, sounds like a **** plastic phone. My last one was great except for battery draining, this phone here has an amazing battery but rattle and light leak, annoying. I want a perfect phone for once. I get my replacement monday

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My 920 freezes up a few times a week where the screen is black and it's unresponsive. I need to press volume down and power for 10 seconds to make it reboot.

I've seen other people online are having the same issue. I'm still not sure if it's a hardware issue or WP8 issue.

Honestly, I've found if my phone was doing this it was due to an app I had recently downloaded. Every time its happened, I go thru my most recently downloaded apps and remove one, see if it was the cause, if not, reinstall and try another.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

Just this morning I found my Lumia 920 "dead", unresponsive without power/volume trick. It then did the same thing later in the day. This Lumia 920 is a refurb/replacement that my friend got for his original Lumia 920 and it is on Rogers. I am hoping to get this replaced. Nokia has really made me doubt their quality control...I can hear the battery rattle around inside the phone too!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OTA is always risky due to unstable connection. The best way to do it is to flash a new copy of OS into the phone, backup before you do it tho. Then test if the problem persist. If yes do another flash with another USB port to make sure it is not another disrupted installation. If is still the same then get a replacement, no other reason than a faulty unit.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
My battery has always been really good with this phone. Better than my last two androids, about twice as good actually. I also have the rogers 920 model.

deepblue82

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Happened to me today for the first time ever as I tried to switch it on from standby. Screen was black but the 3 bottom buttons were light up. Tried to push the power button again and then it freezed completly, had to do a soft reset. This was a few minutes after my HDR photo camera crashed while saving a Photo so I think it has something to do with this because a freezing like this has never happened before...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven