Attn: Any Portlant 920 owners that may want a free 3D Printed case?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Some of you may of heard about my project, but im currently selling 3D printed cases for the HTC 8X. I want to start selling them for the Lumia 920, but I ran into a big of a snag.

I purchased a display model 920 on Ebay, and sent it off to be 3D scanned. My plan was to use the 3D scan as a template for the case. Without that, I cant make the case. The problem is, the display model IS NOT the same size or shape as a REAL 920!!!!! The display model is 12MM thick vs the 10.7MM of the real 920, and there are a lot of other problems with the curvs and slight differences. This means the expensive 3D scanning I just paid for is WORTHLESS!!!!

The 3D scanner resides in Portland Or, and I was hoping a local 920 owner would be willing to spend an hour out of there day to let it be scanned. If we can get this to work, I will release the scan to the community so they can make there own cases (with the proper skills), but I really want to get this done.

Please PM me if your in that area and willing to help. Also it will help to have a non-glossy 920. Scans have a hard time picking up on the glossy surface.

Here is what my cases look like..

DSC01426_resize1.jpg

Kevin

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I need a .obj file for 3D Studio's Max. 200,000-500,000 faces will be fine. I will PM you with my contact info. Thanks!!!

xalasten

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in to say I think the community her is great. Sadly I am in the Toronto area so can't help but you guys are awesome.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I still haven't gotten a reply from SleepingWeasle yet, so I would still like to find a 920 owner in Portland as a backup. Anyone?

SleepingWeasle

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I got called out of the country unexpectedly by work. I should be back by the end of the week, so I'll scan it and send you the file next weekend if you still want it.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I got called out of the country unexpectedly by work. I should be back by the end of the week, so I'll scan it and send you the file next weekend if you still want it.

Not a problem. Do you have access to any other phones like the 822 or Ativ S? I can make cases for any phone I can get scanned in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb