Wireless car charger for Nokia Lumia 920

sbLumia900

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Created my own Nokia wireless car charger for Nokia Lumia 920 using Nokia wireless charging plate and mobio go as car mount.
Don't have to touch your factory wiring, just use your 12v cigarette outlet.
I have attached the photos with the write up.

Attachments

• 1 wireless car charger.jpg
    1 wireless car charger.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 2 Mobio go attached to car.jpg
    2 Mobio go attached to car.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 Back of Nokia Charging plate with Mobio go.jpg
    3 Back of Nokia Charging plate with Mobio go.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 4 Nokia Charging Plate with Holder for Lumia 920.jpg
    4 Nokia Charging Plate with Holder for Lumia 920.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 5 Nokia wireless charger attached to mobio go.jpg
    5 Nokia wireless charger attached to mobio go.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 6 Nokia wireless charger attached to mobio go.jpg
    6 Nokia wireless charger attached to mobio go.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 24
  • 7 Wireless Charging Nokia Lumia920.jpg
    7 Wireless Charging Nokia Lumia920.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 8 Nokia Lumia 920.jpg
    8 Nokia Lumia 920.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 9 Nokia Lumia 920 2.jpg
    9 Nokia Lumia 920 2.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Car charging cable for Nokia Charging plate.jpg
    Car charging cable for Nokia Charging plate.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 23

tranite

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
tranite,

I did not buy this, It was my creation. I purchased "mobio go" car mount from www.Hellomobio.com, Nokia charging plate from at&t, and phone holder and Lighted On/Off Plug from amazon and modified it to my need.

Haha, I know it's your creation. I did mean where did you buy the stuff you made it of from. Wrote it late last night, wasn't as awake as I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Also, how does it work with the 12V from the car? Do you need something special to use it in the car?

sbLumia900

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Haha, I know it's your creation. I did mean where did you buy the stuff you made it of from. Wrote it late last night, wasn't as awake as I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Also, how does it work with the 12V from the car? Do you need something special to use it in the car?

-------

I have been using this for a month now, never faced any problem with 12v car outlet.

ShadowPhone

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I already got my car rigged with a micro USB cable to the phone's location from my previous device. Is there an easy way to convert the Nokia charging plate to micro USB?

One more question: Is the charge sufficient to use Navigation (Nokia Drive) + Streaming Music (i.e. Spotify) + Bluetooth phone connection (to use handsfree) and still get power to the battery or at least keep the charge at the same level?

Thanks for sharing - inspiringly simple and effective!

sbLumia900

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I already got my car rigged with a micro USB cable to the phone's location from my previous device. Is there an easy way to convert the Nokia charging plate to micro USB?

One more question: Is the charge sufficient to use Navigation (Nokia Drive) + Streaming Music (i.e. Spotify) + Bluetooth phone connection (to use handsfree) and still get power to the battery or at least keep the charge at the same level?

Thanks for sharing - inspiringly simple and effective!

Is the charge sufficient ? I use all the application you mentioned all the time. I didn't see any problem with the charging.

You should be able to connect Nokia wireless charging plate cable to your USB cable. I think you may have to do some cutting and splicing of the wires.

ShadowPhone

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to connect Nokia wireless charging plate cable to your USB cable. I think you may have to do some cutting and splicing of the wires.

Do you have any information about the power input for the charging plate? My USB delivers DC 5V and up to 2000mA. My concern is for the input current being different and thus resulting in possibly insufficient charging or damage to the pad.
But I have to admit that electrical engineering is not my forte.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Search utube and the news feed here. There is video of some guys installing a wireless plate in car. And no, you can't convert to USB. It is a 12v signal to plate. If I remember right, all they did was cut cable and install a fuse. They installed a bunch of magnets in case and charger plate to keep it in place. Looked pretty rough, but it worked.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't see why they wouldn't work. Problem with adjustable dc voltage converters is as voltage IN varies, so does voltage OUT. I don't know how sensitive the Qi chargers are to that variance. Make sure you fuse somehow. I wouldn't hook something like this up to my laptop and it really won't be necessary for a car as its already 12v. The video I mentioned, they just went to fuse box.

I haven't tried it, but find a fused cigarette lighter adapter and cut and splice to your Nokia cable. Polarity is an issue (the wires have to be hooked up correctly + and -) and I don't remember right now which is which but I'm sure it was in the utube video. It seems like a lot of work for one phone. I have multiple devises for USB and it just wasn't worth the headache. Good luck.

I don't know why Nokia hasn't came out with a cigarette adapter with a more stable charger base already. Unless it isn't reliable enough for them to make it a factory device. There may be an unforeseen issue. Like it may burn up your charger. I don't know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo