Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By sbLumia900
  • 1 Post By sbLumia900

Created my own Nokia wireless car charger for Nokia Lumia 920 using Nokia wireless charging plate and mobio go as car mount.
    Don't have to touch your factory wiring, just use your 12v cigarette outlet.
    I have attached the photos with the write up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-wireless-car-charger.jpg   2-mobio-go-attached-car.jpg   3-back-nokia-charging-plate-mobio-go.jpg   4-nokia-charging-plate-holder-lumia-920.jpg   5-nokia-wireless-charger-attached-mobio-go.jpg  

6-nokia-wireless-charger-attached-mobio-go.jpg   7-wireless-charging-nokia-lumia920.jpg   8-nokia-lumia-920.jpg   9-nokia-lumia-920-2.jpg   car-charging-cable-nokia-charging-plate.jpg  

Pretty awesome dude...
    Thanked by:

Where did you buy this stuff? Looks awesome, great idea!!

Awesome work!!!
    Thanked by:

tranite,

I did not buy this, It was my creation. I purchased "mobio go" car mount from www.Hellomobio.com, Nokia charging plate from at&t, and phone holder and Lighted On/Off Plug from amazon and modified it to my need.

Well done, I want the same but was looking for a retail product
    Thanked by:

cool~

A star is born! Thanks for sharing this with us. That Lumia 920 just looks great. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by sbLumia900 View Post
    tranite,

I did not buy this, It was my creation. I purchased "mobio go" car mount from www.Hellomobio.com, Nokia charging plate from at&t, and phone holder and Lighted On/Off Plug from amazon and modified it to my need.
    Haha, I know it's your creation. I did mean where did you buy the stuff you made it of from. Wrote it late last night, wasn't as awake as I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Also, how does it work with the 12V from the car? Do you need something special to use it in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by tranite View Post
    Haha, I know it's your creation. I did mean where did you buy the stuff you made it of from. Wrote it late last night, wasn't as awake as I thought. Thanks for sharing.

Also, how does it work with the 12V from the car? Do you need something special to use it in the car?
    -------

I have been using this for a month now, never faced any problem with 12v car outlet.

nice evo X

the nfc tag is to open nokia drive only?

Quote Originally Posted by leviathan18 View Post
    nice evo X

the nfc tag is to open nokia drive only?
    Yes
    neoxphuse likes this.

I already got my car rigged with a micro USB cable to the phone's location from my previous device. Is there an easy way to convert the Nokia charging plate to micro USB?

One more question: Is the charge sufficient to use Navigation (Nokia Drive) + Streaming Music (i.e. Spotify) + Bluetooth phone connection (to use handsfree) and still get power to the battery or at least keep the charge at the same level?

Thanks for sharing - inspiringly simple and effective!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPhone View Post
    I already got my car rigged with a micro USB cable to the phone's location from my previous device. Is there an easy way to convert the Nokia charging plate to micro USB?

One more question: Is the charge sufficient to use Navigation (Nokia Drive) + Streaming Music (i.e. Spotify) + Bluetooth phone connection (to use handsfree) and still get power to the battery or at least keep the charge at the same level?

Thanks for sharing - inspiringly simple and effective!
    Is the charge sufficient ? I use all the application you mentioned all the time. I didn't see any problem with the charging.

You should be able to connect Nokia wireless charging plate cable to your USB cable. I think you may have to do some cutting and splicing of the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by sbLumia900 View Post
    You should be able to connect Nokia wireless charging plate cable to your USB cable. I think you may have to do some cutting and splicing of the wires.
    Do you have any information about the power input for the charging plate? My USB delivers DC 5V and up to 2000mA. My concern is for the input current being different and thus resulting in possibly insufficient charging or damage to the pad.
    But I have to admit that electrical engineering is not my forte.

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Search utube and the news feed here. There is video of some guys installing a wireless plate in car. And no, you can't convert to USB. It is a 12v signal to plate. If I remember right, all they did was cut cable and install a fuse. They installed a bunch of magnets in case and charger plate to keep it in place. Looked pretty rough, but it worked.

thanks @conanheath.
    how about using a DC-DC step-up converter 5V to 12V?

I'm talking about something like this:
    LM2577 Adjustable Power DC DC Boost Converter 3 24V to 4 26 5V Step Up Module | eBay
    DC DC Step Up Step Down Voltage Converter Power Supply Module 3 5 28V to 1 25 26 | eBay

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowPhone View Post
    I don't see why they wouldn't work. Problem with adjustable dc voltage converters is as voltage IN varies, so does voltage OUT. I don't know how sensitive the Qi chargers are to that variance. Make sure you fuse somehow. I wouldn't hook something like this up to my laptop and it really won't be necessary for a car as its already 12v. The video I mentioned, they just went to fuse box.

I haven't tried it, but find a fused cigarette lighter adapter and cut and splice to your Nokia cable. Polarity is an issue (the wires have to be hooked up correctly + and -) and I don't remember right now which is which but I'm sure it was in the utube video. It seems like a lot of work for one phone. I have multiple devises for USB and it just wasn't worth the headache. Good luck.

I don't know why Nokia hasn't came out with a cigarette adapter with a more stable charger base already. Unless it isn't reliable enough for them to make it a factory device. There may be an unforeseen issue. Like it may burn up your charger. I don't know.