Why isn't there a portable Wireless Charging Pad?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I really noticed about the wireless charging accessories Nokia makes is that there's not one charger that's actually portable, or battery-powered.

Well, are there any portable wireless chargers out there?
Because, it can really be done.

Fredrik Tennberg

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
The one thing I really noticed about the wireless charging accessories Nokia makes is that there's not one charger that's actually portable, or battery-powered.

Well, are there any portable wireless chargers out there?
Because, it can really be done.

Well why would anyone need this? I can't see the reason anyone would want a portable wireless charger. Just seems kind of pointless.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who reads this question as "why is there no wireless wireless charger?" I mean, how do you charge THAT? Do you want a wireless charger for that as well? How many things do you want to wirelessly charge things? I mean, I think what you're thinking of is an external battery cover or something. A BETTER request (or at least one I won't read in a silly manner) is the ability to remove the back and get higher-capacity batteries, or at least secondary ones for those who need them.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Being that the voltage/ampage of the QI devices i've seen is pretty much perfect for in car charging, i'm supprised there are no wireless car chargers.

But portable? If you are out and about, i'm sure a wired connection is the way to go.

perspicatio

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Does the OP mean charge off a laptop? Or Battery pack?

Thinking back to my Physics undergrad days, I suspect the induction coil requires more voltage/current than could be provided by a USB source. But a car battery should do it through an inverter.

The other point to bear in mind is efficiency. Induction charging is less efficient and slower than cable charging. An induction battery pack would drain more quickly and charge the phone more slowly than taking the 2 second effort of plugging it in. So if you're traveling and need to charge quickly, it defeats the object.

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the power transmitted by wireless charging enough to keep the phone charged while using navigation? seems like it would suck power faster than it could charge it.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
In last las vegas show, a QI charger debuted that you can wirelessly in-charge it. But when you uses it to charge your phone, it still does it through USB cable.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The point of the wireless charger is that you just drop it on the pad and it charges. It's exist for convenience, so you don't have to mess with a plug every time you need to charge your phone.

However, if you're traveling you take your USB cord and plug with you. You're just wasting luggage space if you're packing the wireless charger.

As wireless charging becomes more ubiquitous then you won't need cables or charging pads at all. But the technology isn't there yet.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I can kind of see the point for this. This would kind of be like the iPhone cases that serve as a battery pack also, but instead of putting a bulky case on it you can just put your phone on it. I can see it being a good last resort. It would have to hold its battery life real well when not used. I could see myself keeping it in my bag and if I need a power up when I'm not near an outlet using that. I used to have one of those AA battery charged micro USB ports but they broke way too easily.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
At first I was like "Wait, what?" but when I think about it, it is in fact a very valid question. If for example you use the Nokia Wireless Charging stand you may rely on it as a bedside alarm clock since it has that feature when you set it up to work with NFC. If you travel the only piece missing is the cradle with NFC. I could envision a portable folding wireless stand that would foldout into a cradle so you can continue to use it as an alarm clock when travelling be compact enough to slip into a pouch on your bag when travelling. The Pads work nicely but they do not have the advantages of the stand but that size would be fairly portable.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
When and if Nokia gets iPhone sales figures you might see one. I don't really see the point. If I'm traveling, I grab wired charger anyway. Smaller and does just as good. Or I just grab cable and charge off laptop. Plus, you still have to have a charger for the charger. Really don't see any purpose and manufactures haven't either.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I want one because I'd like to have something charge in my bag :)
And, I'd want to keep the microUSB port open.

I learned that the hard way on my old phone.
I was charging it in my bag, and it was sandwiched between my stuff (i.e. HARDBOUND books), and when I opened it, the microUSB was snapped in two, and it was stuck in the microUSB port.

Lesson learned: Do NOT charge a phone using the port while in your bag

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05