32mb phone storage an issue for me, suggestions?

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In the first month or so with my 920 I have nearly 15gb of photos/camcorder, half of which is missing from my now full 7gb SkyDrive . I've upgraded to 50gb SkyDrive and am trying to copy the full photo/camcorder folder over. Painfully slow. Couldn't upload from my phone, I had to copy them onto my pc and then onto my SkyDrive account on the pc.as I couldn't upload directly from my phone. Probably because of the speed (snail) of the upload process - over six hours so far and about a quarter of the way there. I plan to use SkyDrive purely as a backup of my current phone information - leaving a little bit of space.

So here my problem lies. I like to be able to keep funny camcorder clips of the kids from my previous phones on my current phone, just to look back on and see how they've changed. Normally that's not been an issue, but as I'm filling my phone memory so quickly now, is there another way of doing this. SkyDrive is a no no for this purpose as it takes so long to download the clip again, and when I tried it on the computer it glitched and skipped through it.

Firstly, is there some way I could quickly stream my camcorder clips that aren't currently on my phone?
SkyDrive 100GB is ?32/year - this would be okay. Like it as it's sync'd with my phone as I take a picutre/clip (except when I run out of space!!)
Dropbox is $10/month - I do not want to spend that much.
KnowHow (from Currys/PC world) ?150 5 year 1TB - this cost is fine and I could use the storage - however 1) I can't get the KnowHow app from the store despite the site saying it should be there 2) would looking at clips still be as slow as the SkyDrive?? - if so then it would purely be for backup, not my personal catalogue of family camcorder clips to at my leisure, anywhere anytime.

Now I do know that a Portable External USB'd into the TV will do this easily. However, if I can do it a bit more seamlessly from my phone that would be better, as it's always with me, my portable External isn't!

Any help or advice would be great.
(and sorry if this doesn't make much sense!)

Thanks!!

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't know of any easy way to do this on the 920. If you had the 820 you could get 72GB local storage by using a 64gb MicroSDXC card. Then when it is full, simply swap in another 64gb microsdxc card or move files to computer via usb microsdxc reader - really fast and quick solution especially if you have a usb 3.0 card in your PC.

Unfortunately, you have the 920 which has no storage upgrade option or removable media. So there is no real easy way to do this as you've found out. Streaming video will always be a challenge due to copyright concerns, as movie studios wouldn't want you streaming pirated movies to your phone without paying for them. Thus any app which allows user-uploaded content to be streamed could face the wrath of the MPAA.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Any help or advice would be great.
(and sorry if this doesn't make much sense!)
Do you have a local computer you can use to offload photos and videos? Windows 7 or better, just plug in the USB cable and (once unlocked) your phone is just a digital camera to the PC and you can copy off photos and videos.

Once off device you'd deal with them as you would any other digital media.

For me, a surface RT with 64gb sd card work well for offloading picts and videos while traveling.

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I do download to pc and backup onto external drive, had a few externals die on me however i burn to disk too!! Guess i was right to backup twice though others thought it was a bit of overkill!! I just liked having old clips on my phone, on micro sd in the past, to have a little trip down memory lane at the touch of a button. However The files are eating into the memory really quickly but i accept that's my choice to have it on the best video quality. Now i know there's no real option but to continue the laborious task i do at the minute with my 3 cameras and phone I'll invest in a another portable external. I increased my SkyDrive to 50gb so that covers the current stuff on my phone.

Just wanted to check to see if there was a simpler solution. Appreciate the feedback.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon