Switched to Lumia 920.. Now need help seriously

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
HI! friends,
I am new here and fresh migrant to Lumia 920. I have few questions and need their workouts and additional suggestions are also welcomed. I really want to complete my phone setup before judging if it is most perfect smartphone or not. I really want it to be though. I am mentioning my concerns..maybe they are too small but i am not able to get way around them.
1.configuring live tiles for facebook, linked in and twitter . I have configured them all in integrated account system but they show up in people app and all together.I have downloaded facebook app also and got its tile pinned up at startup screen. But that tile always show only my cover photo nothing else. it isn't live feeds such as i was used to on android. Please suggest for this. also i want similar tiles for twitter and linkedin.
2. whatsapp is not nicely integrated on platform.. neither it is always push.. and sometimes very slow to open up. ( toast notifications always gets duplicated when you open the app) also number of messages in whatsapp doesn't show up as notifications on phone lock screen.
3. No notifications lighting system.
4.I want to know way of editing most recent (in people app) because i delete some log and that particular contact is still showed there.
5. When i pin a particular contact,i have no direct calling option nor it shows any social updates of theirs.
6. Poor battery Life. ( hardly 6-7 hours with moderate use) on wifi .. whatsapp and emails functional.
7. Any more suggestions about apps and features to improve overall use and feel of this great piece of hardware.

Thank you all friends.:amaze:

Stormdrunk

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Good Day! Welcome to Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 920!

1- The role of the people app is to have everything in one spot so you don't have to open a bunch of different apps. There are a bunch of different facebook apps available for WP8 that integrates live tile but you might have to pay for them. I do know though that the free facebook app for WP8 does update sometimes with your status update and with notifications.
2- I considered getting whatsapp for WP8. Decided to wait beause of the bad reviews.
3- The phone does not have a anything on it to indicate a new message.
4- I edited my contact list through my outlook account and it synchs directly to the phone. Also if you go to People>settings> Filter my contact list you should be able to edit/add contacts.
6- I too am familiar with poor battery life. However I found the biggest culprit to be a terrible wireless connection and LTE. If you don't have a decent wireless connection and have the phone set on LTE the phone will try to constantly maintain that fast LTE connection. Once I swtiched my phone to 3G connection my battery life improved right away. Also check your background apps and check to see which of them are updating or functioning. I know that the maps and driving apps eat up a lot of battery power as well.

vignesh1985

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
how to switch to 3G? i have no option to do that... AT&T USA CONTRACT PHONE

1- The role of the people app is to have everything in one spot so you don't have to open a bunch of different apps. There are a bunch of different facebook apps available for WP8 that integrates live tile but you might have to pay for them. I do know though that the free facebook app for WP8 does update sometimes with your status update and with notifications.
2- I considered getting whatsapp for WP8. Decided to wait beause of the bad reviews.
4- I edited my contact list through my outlook account and it synchs directly to the phone. Also if you go to People>settings> Filter my contact list you should be able to edit/add contacts.
6- I too am familiar with poor battery life. However I found the biggest culprit to be a terrible wireless connection and LTE. If you don't have a decent wireless connection and have the phone set on LTE the phone will try to constantly maintain that fast LTE connection. Once I swtiched my phone to 3G connection my battery life improved right away. Also check your background apps and check to see which of them are updating or functioning. I know that the maps and driving apps eat up a lot of battery power as well.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Stormdrunk for your reply.
1. app i downloaded for facebook is free and says it has live tiles.. but never actually changes anything else than displaying my cover photo.
2. for whatsapp it's not great but i can live with that.
3.same for it..
4.this i know about contacts... i wanted to ask when you call a particular number multiple times it shows in recent under people app... and now if you delete the logs technically it should disappear from there.. but it doesn't happen..... is there any way to clear that particular contact from recent tab?
5.I have decent wireless connection,In india we don't have LTE so it is by default on 3G. All background are blocked accept whatsapp and weather. It shows facebook also blocked.. i want to unblock it... but there is no option as such there. How much battery life are you getting for your lumia?? i can barely stretch it to 10 hours with limited use .

Thanks again buddy...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Stormdrunk for your reply.
1. app i downloaded for facebook is free and says it has live tiles.. but never actually changes anything else than displaying my cover photo.
2. for whatsapp it's not great but i can live with that.
3.same for it..
4.this i know about contacts... i wanted to ask when you call a particular number multiple times it shows in recent under people app... and now if you delete the logs technically it should disappear from there.. but it doesn't happen..... is there any way to clear that particular contact from recent tab?
5.I have decent wireless connection,In india we don't have LTE so it is by default on 3G. All background are blocked accept whatsapp and weather. It shows facebook also blocked.. i want to unblock it... but there is no option as such there. How much battery life are you getting for your lumia?? i can barely stretch it to 10 hours with limited use .

Thanks again buddy...

If you are using AT&T version in India - go to your settings, cellular and check what is your highest connection speed set up as. If it's 4G which generally is default, it will drain your battery. Switch that to 3G.

Facebook live tile will only show you notifications when they arrive. All other times it is your cover photo and your recent updated status. To get notifications i.e. toasts and tile, you must have selected so from inside the app. Go to settings in app and do it. After doing this, re-pin your tile and it should also offer you to block/unblock background tasks. You will only be able to do that once you've chosen to get lockscreen notifications or live lockscreen or toasts.

Whatsapp is a badly coded app on WP. Only option is to contact devs and let them know how unhappy you are. Nothing can be done about a 3rd party app that is not coded correctly.

If you "delete all" in your recent called history, it MUST clear everything. If you say that doesn't happen, I have no reason to believe why. Also if you long press on the particular entry you want to delete, you will get an option of "delete item". However, this will NOT delete people from the recently contacted list - that list is supposed to show tiles of recent 8 people or frequently contacted 8 people for quick access. If there is someone you don't want to appear there after contacting, only way to push them away is by opening 8 other contact cards so that this recent one is hidden. It is by design.

Also, bad battery life will occur due to weaker 3G signals. Anything other than Vodafone in India won't be as good considering the number of masts they have. Airtel or Idea won't cover you all the time, so it's worth monitoring how well you are covered in the common places you visit and how your network looks like in those places. Lumia 920 does have an average battery life or worse for the first month but once the battery has been charged and discharged enough number of times, it will calibrate and easily last 18-20 hours of moderate use.

Based on your OP, it looks like you got the phone without market research or reading like most of the other guys and hence you wouldn't have known stuff like LED etc. While you are new on WPC and still finding your way in forums, I strongly recommend using the search function on top of this page to find how others have dealt with your "issues" previously. Lumia has been out for more than 4 months now and trust me this board has seen more of "I need help" threads than you can imagine. Whatever is on your mind, is on this forum already.

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
mr_808, nice. thanks. I'll keep a watch and see if battery life changes

No problem. Honestly, this didn't help me too much. What I've found is that you should run off wifi or your network. never both at the same time. In other words, if you have good cell signal strength turn wifi off. if you have crappy cell strength turn your data connection off and use wifi if you can. When the phone searches for a cell,signal it destroys your battery. Good luck.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp has recently received a big update. Is it any better for you now?

yes,it seems to be more stable and bit faster but still no where near to it's integration with android. I was using galaxy s3 prior to shifting to 920... after a day's use on galaxy i would reach home back with atleast 50% battery left... i am doing lot less with my 920 and still not able to reach back home without have to recharge it. When i standby it shows lot of time remaining but as soon as you use it... maybe few text,whatsapp and sending a mail or two.... it drastically eats up battery leaving you shocked. And this is when most of live tiles doesn't function at all... i think nokia and MS should see it seriously to increase functionality of live tiles and battery too..
I really feel very strange when people over here say that they are getting around to 2 days of battery life.,... i wonder if they use there 920 at all.. or they keep only it on standby..... i am not writing this to offend anyone but really wants to know... how are they able to have more 4 times of battery life whereas i will consider myself as only a moderate user... 2 mails account vs 5 on my s3 , not listening to music nor any vedeos .... moreover not playing any games for fear of running out of battery... how long you can get your battery to run and with what kind of use?

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Amit Arora1, I welcome you, but looking for perfection is a big stretch. It does not exist. That said, enjoy the forums and the phone!

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Amit Arora1, I welcome you, but looking for perfection is a big stretch. It does not exist. That said, enjoy the forums and the phone!

Thanks Phonohead for welcoming me .
I don't want to sound rude to you... but when i bought this thinking to the most innovative smartphone ever.. i expected it to do my basic work in a better way than what i was used to earlier.. rather not change my outlook to get those basic work done.. it's not that i am not happy using this phone.. but there are few things which bother me.. so i am trying to figure out if there are ways to make things go right as i might have missed lot of things being new on this platform. expecting a smart phone to last one full working day with heavy use is not a big thing??? one should not be forced to close it's features and functionality in order to get 10 hours of backup. I don't see any fun if i buy this hardware beast and can not use it just because i have to keep it alive till evening. So in my opinion nokia and MS should change something about it. If there would have been no function like live tiles i would have had no problem.. but when it has then i surely want it to work properly and in a neat way....

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Phonohead for welcoming me .
I don't want to sound rude to you... but when i bought this thinking to the most innovative smartphone ever.. i expected it to do my basic work in a better way than what i was used to earlier.. rather not change my outlook to get those basic work done.. it's not that i am not happy using this phone.. but there are few things which bother me.. so i am trying to figure out if there are ways to make things go right as i might have missed lot of things being new on this platform. expecting a smart phone to last one full working day with heavy use is not a big thing??? one should not be forced to close it's features and functionality in order to get 10 hours of backup. I don't see any fun if i buy this hardware beast and can not use it just because i have to keep it alive till evening. So in my opinion nokia and MS should change something about it. If there would have been no function like live tiles i would have had no problem.. but when it has then i surely want it to work properly and in a neat way....
Whatsapp does kills the phone a bit faster but should last you around 8 hrs in average. Its on par on all the 12 flagships out there except the Maxx series.
If you are doing more than that 7 hrs seems OK to me as SG3 and IP5 last about the same.

Amit Arora1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Whatsapp does kills the phone a bit faster but should last you around 8 hrs in average. Its on par on all the 12 flagships out there except the Maxx series.
If you are doing more than that 7 hrs seems OK to me as SG3 and IP5 last about the same.
I beg to differ here ..... My SG3 was giving me around 10 hours of work day and still remaining at 50% level when i would reach back home... and on that phone i was using whatsapp extensively and much more mailboxes were attached to it. And i used to play lot of temple run and subway surfer.. but on that particular model i never got any scare of draining my phone's battery to any critical level.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I beg to differ here ..... My SG3 was giving me around 10 hours of work day and still remaining at 50% level when i would reach back home... and on that phone i was using whatsapp extensively and much more mailboxes were attached to it. And i used to play lot of temple run and subway surfer.. but on that particular model i never got any scare of draining my phone's battery to any critical level.
For the sake of Christ, Mary and Krishna, use the search button!

Whatsapp works TOTALLY differently on WP than any other OS you've used in your life.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is fine for me. Usually on around 17% when im about to go sleep. It was poor to begin with but u have to keep draining it and fully charging it for awhile.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is fine for me. Usually on around 17% when im about to go sleep. It was poor to begin with but u have to keep draining it and fully charging it for awhile.

For some reason most newbies expect their battery to be magically awesome.

Those claims of other devices performing superior than this one are as lame as my ass.

Samsung Galaxy S3, iPhone problems revealed by huge survey | CNET UK

SGS3 phantom battery drain

SGS3 stuck with charging and battery issues

iPhone 5 known battery issues need acknowledgment

iPhone4S battery issues is in our OS: Apple

Samsung Galaxy Note battery underwhelming

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 3100 mAh good for nothing

Go on internet to do some research and you will see nothing is green on the other side either.

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have been using the iPhone for a few years, recently received the Samsung Galaxy S3 from work so I decided to check out the Lumia. Can I get some help with the following:
1. Is it possible to have more than 1 calendar event show on the lock screen?
2. Same as above but show on the live tile? Maybe 2 events?
3. Turn off the live tile with contacts - don't really want to see all my friends pictures? Without making the tile small.
4. When will iHeart Radio or Pandora be available?

I guess that's it for now. Still playing with the phone so I might have more later.
Thanks,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte