Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

Leader of the pack

HP's Spectre x360 15 just might be the best all-around laptop

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ttsoldier
  • 2 Post By fwaits
  1. Baryex86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    My battery was pretty good until the last 2 weeks where it was dying every 4-6 hours. I thought it was an array of apps (Spotify, Skype, Nokia Maps) and I uninstalled all of them and the battery didn't improve. I decided to do a factory reset and, after fixing the bricked phone, I was able to get my battery life in excellent conditions. Battery now last between 1.5-2 days compared to the previous 6 hours.

    I strongly suggest if you are having any issues with the battery, try multiple soft resets, if that doesn't work, backup your data and do a factory reset. Beware do, your phone could brick during the process and you might need to un-brick it. I used the WP guide Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central and it worked flawlessly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_20130222.png   wp_20130222.jpg  
  2. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    4,160 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,833 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Why do people always have battery saver on all the time???

    Then they will complain that they don't get updates/notifications. Most battery page screen shots I see on this forum, the majority of them have battery saver on all the time.
    snaqvi91 likes this.
  3. fwaits's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    876 Posts
    Global Posts
    971 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    He is not in Battery Saver mode, it is set to go on when the battery gets low (<20%). There is no heart symbol on his battery meter.
  4. bashbaliga's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    I am in the process of a hard reset, 2 hours gone and the gears are still spinning, should i be worried ?

    Its night time here in India and i'm planning to leave it as it is for the whole night.

    I'm a total noob in these matters and **** scared.

    According to wp guide there are no codes for my country, which one should i select for the navi app?

    My 920 is not locked by any carrier.
  5. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    Why do people always have battery saver on all the time???

    Then they will complain that they don't get updates/notifications. Most battery page screen shots I see on this forum, the majority of them have battery saver on all the time.
    Because most people on this forum like entering battery saver when they are running low. He still gets notifications because he has 67% remaining. He won't get it after 20% and he will see a heart on his battery. Right now he doesn't. I think that's the best way to use battery saver because when you go in 20% you are in need of the battery most of the time.
  6. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bashbaliga View Post
    I am in the process of a hard reset, 2 hours gone and the gears are still spinning, should i be worried ?

    Its night time here in India and i'm planning to leave it as it is for the whole night.

    I'm a total noob in these matters and **** scared.

    According to wp guide there are no codes for my country, which one should i select for the navi app?

    My 920 is not locked by any carrier.
    It will probably have spinning gears in morning too. If so, perform soft reset, power + vol down, until vibrate. This should bring it back to life. Then you get the joy of setting everything up again.

    Agree with OP. Hard reset took me from 7-10% to 3-4% an hour. Couple of times a month I will get random drains. Fix with soft reset. This phone was worthless before that. Only other thing I might add is charge battery fully before reset.
  7. bashbaliga's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    It will probably have spinning gears in morning too. If so, perform soft reset, power + vol down, until vibrate. This should bring it back to life. Then you get the joy of setting everything up again.

    Agree with OP. Hard reset took me from 7-10% to 3-4% an hour. Couple of times a month I will get random drains. Fix with soft reset. This phone was worthless before that. Only other thing I might add is charge battery fully before reset.
    Thanks for the reply man, I don't want to go through the flash process, Will it void my warranty if i use the above method ?

    And what exactly does a bricked phone mean ?

    Is the spinning gear scenario now mean its bricked ?

    Again sorry for the noob questions.
  8. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bashbaliga View Post
    Thanks for the reply man, I don't want to go through the flash process, Will it void my warranty if i use the above method ?

    And what exactly does a bricked phone mean ?

    Is the spinning gear scenario now mean its bricked ?

    Again sorry for the noob questions.
    No problem. Most people call the spinning gears bricked. Its not really dead, its just not rebooting. Nokia or MS missed something in software. I had spinning gears for 8+ hrs and finally soft reset and phone booted up no problems. Factory reset won't void your warranty. Now if you manually flash the wrong OS version or another countries OS, and phone doesn't work, then you send it in, they probably won't cover it. If all else fails, read the flash process in forums. It has a video which goes through the process. Good luck.
  9. bashbaliga's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    No problem. Most people call the spinning gears bricked. Its not really dead, its just not rebooting. Nokia or MS missed something in software. I had spinning gears for 8+ hrs and finally soft reset and phone booted up no problems. Factory reset won't void your warranty. Now if you manually flash the wrong OS version or another countries OS, and phone doesn't work, then you send it in, they probably won't cover it. If all else fails, read the flash process in forums. It has a video which goes through the process. Good luck.
    Just giving an update, my phone switched off because of low battery whilst the gears were still spinning, i was sure i'm ****ed but turns out after a full charge my phone was back to the start, But still don't see any improvement in Battery life, there are no apps installed for now, everything is turned off, used internet explorer for 20 minutes and lost 12 % battery, Is this normal for a 920 ?
  10. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    @bashbaliga
    How long have you had phone? The battery needs to be "conditioned" if that's what you want to call it. I had terrible battery for first month. And it started getting better and then Portico came out. No change with update, but then I hard reset. Battery life has been descent ever since. With screen on and using data this phone will suck battery dry very quick. 12% with 20min IE isn't too bad from what I've experienced. Try playing a graphics driven game on it. You can use 50% in half hour. Phone is first Gen as well as OS. I don't think its optimized just yet. I get about 3-4%/hr with moderate use. No games or data, just email, text and phone. And, it took me about 3 months to get that. I was at 7-10% before hard reset with even less usage.

    You can also perform a soft reset after you remove from charger daily. Soft reset=power and volume down until phone vibrates. You won't loose any data. This will stop any process that may be hung up and running. I did this daily for about a month just to be absolutely sure nothing was causing drain. Also read through the forums. There are a lot of tips and tricks that help.
  11. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    For me calibrating the battery helped a lot. It now lasts well over 1 day. Previously it would be dead within 15-20 hours.
  12. Amit Arora1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryex86 View Post
    My battery was pretty good until the last 2 weeks where it was dying every 4-6 hours. I thought it was an array of apps (Spotify, Skype, Nokia Maps) and I uninstalled all of them and the battery didn't improve. I decided to do a factory reset and, after fixing the bricked phone, I was able to get my battery life in excellent conditions. Battery now last between 1.5-2 days compared to the previous 6 hours.

    I strongly suggest if you are having any issues with the battery, try multiple soft resets, if that doesn't work, backup your data and do a factory reset. Beware do, your phone could brick during the process and you might need to un-brick it. I used the WP guide Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central and it worked flawlessly.
    Dear Barey,
    Your posted pics show time since last charge as 20 hours....... I just want to know how you have used your lumia during those 20 hours...sorry if it sounds stupid.. but i am really curious to your usage during that period.
    Rgds
    Amit
  13. Baryex86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Amit Arora1 View Post
    Dear Barey,
    Your posted pics show time since last charge as 20 hours....... I just want to know how you have used your lumia during those 20 hours...sorry if it sounds stupid.. but i am really curious to your usage during that period.
    Rgds
    Amit

    Hello Amit:

    I don't use my phone that much since I'm mostly in a lab working (grad student). However, I do use WhatsApp, text messages, Facebook, emails, Rowi and Amazing Weather from time to time every day, so there is always data usage. If I use WhatsApp for long periods of time, battery consumption will increase by 7-10% which is ok. I also have Spotify but I haven't used it since the hard reset. I haven't installed Skype on my phone, which is known to cause battery drain, so that may be the reason why I always have good battery rate. I also keep my brightness to medium and my WiFi is always own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_20130224.png  
  14. Jaripi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    685 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Honestly, before doing any factory reset ... I really suggest you to check that your battery monitor of WP8 is not playing a game with YOU ... it is not more than 2 steps to check it, when you see a battery draining ... first, just restart your cp and check your battery-% again, if still the same, then make a soft reset, and check your battery-% again - you might surprise that this procedure increase your battery-% in the most cases ... :)

    Yeah, that battery apps of WP8 is not really great one and all other battery apps give you exactly the same (false) numbers based on it ... Microsoft should wake up to fix it ...
  15. oldpueblo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,053 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    I think in that brick thread someone said take out your SIM and it won't get stuck on the cogs. Double-check it to be sure.
  16. lsmachado's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    678 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,171 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    I had to factory reset my 920, and the spinning gears were going for almost 2 hours, so I read through the bricked thread. I wanted to try the simplest suggestions first, and removing the SIM worked for me, too. Within 5 - 10 minutes, the phone restarted and was fine.
  17. bashbaliga's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    69 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    @bashbaliga
    How long have you had phone? The battery needs to be "conditioned" if that's what you want to call it. I had terrible battery for first month. And it started getting better and then Portico came out. No change with update, but then I hard reset. Battery life has been descent ever since. With screen on and using data this phone will suck battery dry very quick. 12% with 20min IE isn't too bad from what I've experienced. Try playing a graphics driven game on it. You can use 50% in half hour. Phone is first Gen as well as OS. I don't think its optimized just yet. I get about 3-4%/hr with moderate use. No games or data, just email, text and phone. And, it took me about 3 months to get that. I was at 7-10% before hard reset with even less usage.

    You can also perform a soft reset after you remove from charger daily. Soft reset=power and volume down until phone vibrates. You won't loose any data. This will stop any process that may be hung up and running. I did this daily for about a month just to be absolutely sure nothing was causing drain. Also read through the forums. There are a lot of tips and tricks that help.
    iving another update, and this time its a good news!

    For the first time since i owned this phone I'm off the charger for more than 15 hours with moderate to high use with 30%remaining this is ****ing brilliant man!

    This is surely some kind of sorcery! haven't downloaded many apps as of now, but will be cautious when i download

    Only downside of a hard reset is nokia music doesn't seem to let me download anything, really liked it. Hope i will soon find a fix,

    Anyways thanks a ton for helping me out.

    I am a one happy lumia person now!
  18. greycounciller's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    I had tho do a hard reset a few times as my phone was being a silly boy with the screen brightness issue amongst other things.
    I was usually getting around 9 - 11hrs charge a day and frankly just accepted it as that.
    Well, today, phone off charger from 7 30am, 25% charge remaining and estimated 9hrs left 21hrs since last charge.
    That's the most I've ever got off this phone and its been on all day doing my usual stuff on WiFi and very poor 3g and playing games, browsing, few calls etc....
    The only other thing I did was left the battery drain completely till phone switched off then plugged in the charger.
    It'll be interesting to see what I get from my next full charge.
  19. Amit Arora1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Baryex86 View Post
    Hello Amit:

    I don't use my phone that much since I'm mostly in a lab working (grad student). However, I do use WhatsApp, text messages, Facebook, emails, Rowi and Amazing Weather from time to time every day, so there is always data usage. If I use WhatsApp for long periods of time, battery consumption will increase by 7-10% which is ok. I also have Spotify but I haven't used it since the hard reset. I haven't installed Skype on my phone, which is known to cause battery drain, so that may be the reason why I always have good battery rate. I also keep my brightness to medium and my WiFi is always own.
    Dear Barey,
    Thanks for your reply. Though i also not use my phone more than that usually.. so i keep my fingers crossed that it will improve in coming days.

    Cheers
  20. charles014's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    That was a good news about this mobile,many people are really having difficulties for the life of their battery in fact in Finland only battery that made in lyijyakku or lead acid battery are the only battery that last and some of mobile are really has a short life which lead to some people there to bought an extra battery.
  21. Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    58 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I dont know why a phone could have a chace of getting bricked with just a hard reset....could anybody notify Nokia or MS regarding this? I dont know why theres so many issues with system processes like simple hardresetting of the phone. I dont understand why it should take hours or days and efforts just to do a hard reset. Seriously, MS or Nokia should take a closer look at this issue...
  22. abdullah khalid3's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    I have also factory reset my L920 as I bought this phone 4 days before will my battery life improve ?

Similar Threads

  1. Account sync issue in Nokia Lumia 920
    By cruisezero in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM
  2. Buying the Nokia Lumia 920 in the UK
    By paulm187 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM
  3. So is the Nokia Lumia 920 coming in cyan?
    By BIGPADDY in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 04:31 AM
  5. Question Mark On Battery Icon on nokia lumia 800... Need Help
    By Fahad Majidi in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions