Glad Nokia ISN'T announcing EOS

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree. If EOS is released in the first half of this year, it will:

• Carry the internals of the launch WP8 chassis, which will stack up poorly against the One, Galaxy S4, etc
  • Contribute to the unsustainable "two flagships a year" model that saw the Lumia 900 flop last year
  • Launch with no breakout software update, and WP8 is simply way too far from feature complete

Whatever soc they decide to use, it not only has to support the megapixel count...
Wrong, and almost a full year since the 808 was unveiled, still wrong. Nokia used a dedicated image processor to the 808. HTC did the same with the Titan II. The base SOC does not matter in the slightest.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
  • Carry the internals of the launch WP8 chassis, which will stack up poorly against the One, Galaxy S4, etc
  • Contribute to the unsustainable "two flagships a year" model that saw the Lumia 900 flop last year
  • Launch with no breakout software update, and WP8 is simply way too far from feature complete
Wrong, and almost a full year since the 808 was unveiled, still wrong. Nokia used a dedicated image processor to the 808. HTC did the same with the Titan II. The base SOC does not matter in the slightest.
So there shouldn't be a problem... I wonder what is taking so long. Microsoft and Nokia have had access to this technology for two years, and it has been in mass production for almost one year.. It should be an easy port over. And just to clarify, the titian runs on windows ce, not nt .. There is a difference

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what is taking so long.
I assume Nokia is trying to get the module to be thinner, and/or it's looking for the Windows Phone release where EOS will fit in to its lineup nicely. Launching EOS with WP7 would have been a bad idea, and launching it with WP8 would have made the 920's camera look bad.

And just to clarify, the titian runs on windows ce, not nt .. There is a difference
What's the difference there, do you think NT doesn't/can't support additional processors?

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
But if Nokia starts to release high end smartphones every 6 months, I think their phones' quality is going to go down the drain (unless they stopped cutting positions and have hired more designers and engineers recently which I haven't heard be the case yet)

True. This is the biggest thing that put me off Sony - the XPERIA S, then T and now Z all within a year makes you wonder why bother buying a flagship if it isn't gonna be one anymore in 3 months.

Aleem Aslam

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia should release EOS only when they incorporate options on its default camera app like 808. At present windows phone options are bare minimal, which he kind of let down for the awesome camera phone like Lumia 920. Need to use 3rd party apps like ProShot to achieve more options. A present, the options is great for amateur users, but am now the majority of the ppl nowadays like to use camera app like the one on Galaxy S3.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely!

To add to your first point... the MSM8960T is a likely alternative. That is the same SoC that is in the Lumia 920, but with an Adreno 320 GPU.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I think this is smart, they got to see HTC flagship and soon the S4 before releasing any spec's.
I haven't but seen a few camera shots comparison of the new HTC & 920 and the 920 looked better.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It's funny that the title of this thread is about EOS not being announced yet some of you are discussing EOS as if we had the specs, etc. Regardless, if Nokia has a high-end phone in the works I'd prefer they don't announce it until the phone is ready to ship and yes, they should take their time creating the new phone.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's funny that the title of this thread is about EOS not being announced yet some of you are discussing EOS as if we had the specs, etc. Regardless, if Nokia has a high-end phone in the works I'd prefer they don't announce it until the phone is ready to ship and yes, they should take their time creating the new phone.
Everyone is just trying to figure out why the EOS wouldn't be announced at MWC. I could see why they wouldn't announce the EOS right now. Like others have said it's too close to the time span that the 920 is supposed to thrive. Now when it comes to the Verizon high end device not being announced...

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I think if there's any new device which's that much power and features, then it deserves a dedicated event rather than a common one, especially if it'd be equipped with Pureview which is Nokia's top branding tech right now.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think if there's any new device which's that much power and features, then it deserves a dedicated event rather than a common one, especially if it'd be equipped with Pureview which is Nokia's top branding tech right now.

This was my main reason for correctly predicting we wouldn't see any high end device announcement at MWC. They almost always get their own event, just like the HTC One did.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm dissapointed that EOS wasn't announced. With so many rumours that we would receive some form of info at MWC, it makes me wonder if Nokia had planned something, but decided to delay. Perhaps EOS didn't encorporate OIS, and with the latest HTC One flagship announcement with the "ultra pixels" plus a form of OIS, Nokia wisely realized that EOS can't simply be the 808 one year later running WP.

Honestly, I wouldn't care about the lack of an EOS or Catwalk announcement if the 920 were available outside of Rogers and AT&T and I could have picked one up at launch. I feel bad for those who are patiently waiting on Verizon after all the "exciting stuff coming soon" BS.

The next flagship better not be a carrier exclusive, Nokia are denying themselves significant sales. Releasing a 920 variant without any form of spec upgrade upon the expiration of the Rogers / AT&T exclusivity deal is just sad, and if a new flagship is coming only a few months later, it puts customers like myself in a difficult position of waiting even longer to support Nokia and WP8 or settling for a half year old 920 this summer.

It is absolutely crucial that future flagships be available to all prospective customers on any carrier, or at least available unlocked from the Microsoft store. If the carrier versions are only ever gonna be Rogers / AT&T, I will happily pay a high premium for an unlocked phone from the Microsoft store or somehow directly from Nokia.

Blackberry is doing it correctly... "here's our new flagship, it's available everywhere!". Also, so much for any sort of advertising benefit for Nokia carrier exclusives, the Rogers wireless website is already focused on iphone 5 / Blackberry 10 / HTC One (all phones which are or will be available on Bell). The Lumia 920 is already forgotten from the main Rogers page.

pnhd

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
People make a mistake assuming the EOS wil canibalize the 920.They are not in the same class and they never were.

The 920 is the mainstream flagship device that goes against the iphone,sgs3 and onex. It has a one year life cycle just like any other product.
The EOS/808 pureview is a niche device, a uber camera smartphone. It has it's own year life cycle(aprox) and it will be more expensive then the 920.

And don't fall in the trap of android devices. What i mean is compare it with the devices that are released every 5-6 months from lg and sony for example. The galaxy s3 and the htc one x both had the standard one year life cycle. This is because they are good devices, that sell, and you need that cycle to make sure you make back your money from development and some profit. Now the reason why lg and sony released flagships every 5 months is because those devices were always poor,always behind the market or with quality issues. That is a problem for them because by releasing at such a high frequency rate flagships they don't have time to recoup their costs and make a profit so they are always making loss. Sony had in a one year time frame the ion,xperia s, then a refresh with xperia t,and now xperia z. 3 flagships in exactly one year time. That's not a good bussiness. And lg did the same and it's doing it now with the optimus g and all the variations from the last months.

So nokia is doing the right and sensible thing and manage their protofolio accordingly. In fact this is the first year since they went with microsoft that they can really show what they could do with wp and the first year they have a full lineup of devices just like they had in the good old days before the problems started. And they need this full portofolio to go against samsung who uses the same strategy nokia had when it was profitable, and that is have a device in every price point for every niche possible in all the regions of the world. So now that they have this mainstream protofolio, during the year they will have the next asha refresh(which they need to battle the ever cheaper androids and new the oses like firefox) and the niche devices like the EOS. In fact they probably need an even greater portofolio with either another more liter pureview or a device like the galaxy note(it was rumoured last year that nokia is toying and has plans for a note competitor).

Conclusion : NO, EOS is not hurting the 920, YES, nokia needs the EOS and other niche devices( in the good days they had a camera centric device, a bussiness series, a fashion series, developer devices) to gain back profitabillity and to increase sales

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Not gonna lie...I feel the opposite. Just like the 808, it will be a niche device...meaning it will appeal to only camera/photo/die hard Nokia enthusiasts. The 920, while yes is a high end device, won't necessarily appeal to the same crowd as the EOS/808. Now I want you guys to open your minds a bit on what I'm about to say next...I think for the average consumer, (consumers who do not follow fan sites/tech blogs/or who are tech enthusiasts) the 920 appeals more due to it's aesthetic design more than the actual camera lens it's holding. In my case, as a professional photographer/fan of Nokia's optics-Carl's Ziess Optics/tech enthusiast my views are different on products from somebody like say...my parents, siblings, friends, and coworkers. An example: a friend of mine-who I hadn't seen in ages (who is definitely not a tech enthusiast at all) just recently bought the 920 due to it looking "cool and colorful" compared to the other devices at the AT&T store. I asked her if she actually did research on the phone beforehand and she replied with a simple answer of "no." A little hard to believe in this day and age, but it is true. People like her are the reason why average consumers usually are not going to care whether or not there is a super camera on a phone or what OS it is running. The design is what "appeals" to them the most. In fact, while I'm thinking about this, I can't help to think that this is somehow linked to the Apple "effect." I don't have to remind people on here that there are many consumers out there that are reluctant to try out different products. And this is simply because there are products that look exactly the same compared to the other competitor products on the market. On one side we have Apple that doesn't seem to upgrade designs often...and then on the other side we have hundreds of Android products that are sometimes almost carbon copies/rebranded of other devices. I think with the way Windows Phone and WP OEMs are going in making their product stand "out" from the rest of the saturated market is the way to go.

So after all that I said, in my own opinion, I think that an EOS-like device will not hurt the quality/sales of Nokia's other products because it will only be a niche device. I bought the 808 (I live in the US btw) only because of the camera. I did not buy it because of the OS...I did not buy it because of the design...I did not buy it because I love Nokia so much....I simply bought it so I could take quality professional photos when I did not have my DSLR/P&S camera with me...which is a very legitimate reason.

Last edited:

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Just my two cents ... Nokia should release the EOS when WP8 allows for newer, quad SoC.

And I don't mind my phone being "out of date" within a year. That is what happens in the world of tech.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong I would love to see Nokia announce the EOS tomorrow at their event but I would just feel it would be half ass rushed like the Lumia 900. That's one phone I don't understand why they released it since wp8 was just around the corner. I could definitely see Nokia announcing the EOS for the holiday season or whenever windows phone blue update is set to be released.

What do you guys think?

So, if I understand you correctly, Nokia should not have released the Lumia 900 at all? In other words, are you saying that Nokia should have only released the Lumia 710 and Lumia 800, if those even, in 2011 and not released another device until November 2012?

If that is, in fact, what you are saying, then I totally disagree with you regarding the Lumia 900. Another flagship today? I personally think that given the supply constraints of the Lumia 920, that it hasn't had enough time to shine, nor reached enough people so that can have the opportunity to enjoy the device. I think the Lumia 920 needs to remain the flagship WP device for a while longer.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This is why I believe HTC's quality has stayed steady and if anything has just been improving. They leave a long decent gap between bringing out new models, especially windows phone. They waited nearly a year from bringing out the Titan to bringing out the 8X. HTC do thoroughly test their phone to make sure they can stand up to wear an tear, this is something Nokia have been doing but if they fall into the same trap as Samsung then they are going to loose their supposedly solid quality reputation which I think they lost when they outsourced their production from Finland to mass production firms in China which arguably aren't as well trained or have as sophisticated production methods as the very clever Finns themselves, cough* Foxconn cough*

StefEBear

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
It just makes more sense to have the ONE flagship device a year. I quite like the idea of the two staged releases. Fall for flagship, Spring for Mid/low range. Works for me.
I'm on 2 year contracts anyway so I don't want a new flagship so soon after the release of the 920 (which I absolutely love every day)

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
Just my two cents ... Nokia should release the EOS when WP8 allows for newer, quad SoC.

And I don't mind my phone being "out of date" within a year. That is what happens in the world of tech.

You know according to MyNokiaBlog, there is a rumor of two "pureview" EOS devices in research right now. A source who worked for Nokia, but left the company recently stated that one EOS device which is slated for this year will have a dual core SoC and the next EOS device in testing is a quad core SoC which is slated for mid next year. If you go sift through some of the posts on there, you will be able to find it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb