Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree15Likes
  1. Acbuono5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
       #1  
    Does anyone else feel the same way as I do? Let me try to explain. First off, I really love my 920. Its definitely the best smartphone I have ever had in terms of features (wireless charging, ois, etc.), responsiveness, quality and looks (UI and phone itself...its a piece of art). Which leads me to think that Nokia put a lot if time and effort into designing and testing this phone before launch. Yes I have heard about all of the problems people have been experiencing fortunately for me I had none of those with my 920. But if Nokia starts to release high end smartphones every 6 months, I think their phones' quality is going to go down the drain (unless they stopped cutting positions and have hired more designers and engineers recently which I haven't heard be the case yet). Don't get me wrong I would love to see Nokia announce the EOS tomorrow at their event but I would just feel it would be half *** rushed like the Lumia 900. That's one phone I don't understand why they released it since wp8 was just around the corner. I could definitely see Nokia announcing the EOS for the holiday season or whenever windows phone blue update is set to be released.

    What do you guys think?
  2. mythra's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    #2  
    this-a logic, i like-a.
    aubreyq likes this.
  3. paras chugh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    #3  
    why do u see the eos as a flagship when its more of a good camera rather than a good phone. people will mainly use it for a camera rather than a workplace phone to take with you everywhere coz of its formfactor like 808. this phone will be only targeted towards people who are serious about photography and happen to like wp
    xconomicron likes this.
  4. WavingReds's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    747 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by paras chugh View Post
    why do u see the eos as a flagship when its more of a good camera rather than a good phone. people will mainly use it for a camera rather than a workplace phone to take with you everywhere coz of its formfactor like 808. this phone will be only targeted towards people who are serious about photography and happen to like wp
    Not quite, it also targets people who wants to totally replace their digital camera with the phone and currently that is where the market is headed towards. I can safely say that my 920 has replaced my digital camera for videos.

    In any case I'm also glad that they're not going to be annoucing EOS at all, gives them more time to work on it and release it in the fall when all the other phones will be release.
  5. #5  
    The camera modules of the 920 and the EOS are the only parts into which a lot of unique engineering effort is invested. Everything else, accross the entire Lumia line, is essentially the exact same phone in a different package, each time re-imagined with the goal of lowering production costs. With so many similarities, launching another high end device, which will be nothing but a 920T with a different camera module, won't be particularly problematic.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Acbuono5 View Post
    ...I would just feel it would be half *** rushed like the Lumia 900. That's one phone I don't understand why they released it since wp8 was just around the corner. I could definitely see Nokia announcing the EOS for the holiday season or whenever windows phone blue update is set to be released.
    In that case, the EOS would need to release no later than this summer. Releasing it just before Xmas would mean repeating the mistake of the 900, as by that time WP9 will be just around the corner.
  7. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    378 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    Releasing it just before Xmas would mean repeating the mistake of the 900, as by that time WP9 will be just around the corner.
    First of all, no one knows when WP9 will be released. Second of all, I don't think we need to worry about this anymore. The difference between the release of the 900 and the 920 was huge due to the change in the kernel. Subsequent updates to WP8 will still be based on the NT kernel hence support for older WP8 devices.

    Nokia needs to release as many products as it can afford to and get Windows Phone out there. I for one would LOVE to see the EOS being released now rather than later and, unless Microsoft has any other kernel changes in mind, any future updates would be guaranteed.
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  8. #8  
    ^ you are wrong. Except about it being better for the EOS to come out sooner rather than later.
  9. Acbuono5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by WavingReds View Post
    Not quite, it also targets people who wants to totally replace their digital camera with the phone and currently that is where the market is headed towards. I can safely say that my 920 has replaced my digital camera for videos.

    In any case I'm also glad that they're not going to be annoucing EOS at all, gives them more time to work on it and release it in the fall when all the other phones will be release.
    The reason why i see it as a flagship phone is because its requires high end hardware to view/playback the video you recorded w/o any lag, not sure about viewing pictures but probably the same. I remember that the 808 couldn't handle it with whatever specs it had. So it would only make sense if for it to be a flagship phone as well...unless they want people to hate their phones for not being able to view smooth playback which windows phones aren't known to be.
  10. Acbuono5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    The camera modules of the 920 and the EOS are the only parts into which a lot of unique engineering effort is invested. Everything else, accross the entire Lumia line, is essentially the exact same phone in a different package, each time re-imagined with the goal of lowering production costs. With so many similarities, launching another high end device, which will be nothing but a 920T with a different camera module, won't be particularly problematic.
    I tthink Nokia would also have to use a new CPU because the Qualcomm processor in the 920 can't support 41mp...only 20 or 21 I believe. And switching to a whole knew processor (if it isn't another Qualcomm that can support it) is night and day and would require a lot of testing to optimize its performance.
  11. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    378 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    ^ you are wrong.
    Oh yes! How foolish of me. I apologize because the evidence and sources you provided really proved me wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acbuono5 View Post
    I tthink Nokia would also have to use a new CPU because the Qualcomm processor in the 920 can't support 41mp...only 20 or 21 I believe. And switching to a whole knew processor (if it isn't another Qualcomm that can support it) is night and day and would require a lot of testing to optimize its performance.
    Unless Microsoft gives them the ok to use a dedicated imaging chip then they can still use the current Qualcomm S4.
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

    beej likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Acbuono5 View Post
    I tthink Nokia would also have to use a new CPU because the Qualcomm processor in the 920 can't support 41mp...only 20 or 21 I believe. And switching to a whole knew processor (if it isn't another Qualcomm that can support it) is night and day and would require a lot of testing to optimize its performance.
    1) The CPU isn't at all the problem. It's the DSP/ISP that is integrated into the SoC.

    2) Nokia can't just switch to a different SoC, even if they wanted to. WP8 currently runs on nothing else but Snapdragon S4.

    3) Other solutions exist, like including a custom ASIC to handle the signal processing for a 41mp camera. HTC did something similar for the 8x.

    It's already been discussed here (edit: particularly the contributions made by vlad0)
    Last edited by a5cent; 02-24-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: see edit
  13. Acbuono5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    Oh yes! How foolish of me. I apologize because the evidence and sources you provided really proved me wrong.



    Unless Microsoft gives them the ok to use a dedicated imaging chip then they can still use the current Qualcomm S4.
    Calm down man, all you ssaid before was the iimage sensors would be different and everything else the same, where that is not the case. A5cent gave the best respond right above.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by crav4speed View Post
    Oh yes! How foolish of me. I apologize because the evidence and sources you provided really proved me wrong.
    ;-) No need for sarcasm. Unfortunately I can't provide you with anything more. Just don't forget that your own claims about the kernel, WP8 and WP9 aren't backed up by any publicly available information either... none of it.
  15. Acbuono5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    266 Posts
       #15  
    ^ it wasn't sarcasm.
  16. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    378 Posts
    PIN
    No
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    ;-) No need for sarcasm. Unfortunately I can't provide you with anything more. Just don't forget that your own claims about the kernel, WP8 and WP9 aren't backed up by any publicly available information either... none of it.
    I agree... You're absolutely correct. I can't really back up my claim either. At least we can agree to disagree, my friend :)
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  17. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #17  
    Actually it has retain the same design and engineering team. The quality issue is more of a transition in production line. And kinda disappointed if they don't announce anything big here, after all Europe is still their home base.
    a5cent likes this.
  18. sanders2232's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    223 Posts
    #18  
    We shall see soon! Nokia could display something or give us information on it but I don't expect to see it till summer. I'm still enjoying my 920 :)
  19. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,039 Posts
    #19  
    Whatever soc they decide to use, it not only has to support the megapixel count, but also the overamalpling process which happens in real time, and it Is also particularly heavy during hd video recording .. The 808 is smashing trough one billion pixels every second during video .. Continuously . So.. They need to get a hold of enough processing power. If you do a little research on the 808 you will see that this exact issue is what took 5 years to bring the technology to market. Luckily Symbian can support the extra dsp without any issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Acbuono5 View Post
    The reason why i see it as a flagship phone is because its requires high end hardware to view/playback the video you recorded w/o any lag, not sure about viewing pictures but probably the same. I remember that the 808 couldn't handle it with whatever specs it had. So it would only make sense if for it to be a flagship phone as well...unless they want people to hate their phones for not being able to view smooth playback which windows phones aren't known to be.
    The 808 handles perfectly fine everything coming from the sensor.. Including zooming to 100% in the gallery app on a 38 megapixel image.
    Last edited by vlad0; 02-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.
  20. #20  
    I think my issue with announcing it is less about having a short product cycle, and more about not making sure they have the 920 perfected. We STILL see complaints about build quality and battery life, so I'd like to see them sort such things out before making their way towards the successor device, ESPECIALLY for those who are going to have these things for 2 years.
  21. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #21  
    I completely agree. If EOS is released in the first half of this year, it will:

    • Carry the internals of the launch WP8 chassis, which will stack up poorly against the One, Galaxy S4, etc
    • Contribute to the unsustainable "two flagships a year" model that saw the Lumia 900 flop last year
    • Launch with no breakout software update, and WP8 is simply way too far from feature complete


    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    Whatever soc they decide to use, it not only has to support the megapixel count...
    Wrong, and almost a full year since the 808 was unveiled, still wrong. Nokia used a dedicated image processor to the 808. HTC did the same with the Titan II. The base SOC does not matter in the slightest.
  22. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,039 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryNil View Post
    I completely agree. If EOS is released in the first half of this year, it will:
    • Carry the internals of the launch WP8 chassis, which will stack up poorly against the One, Galaxy S4, etc
    • Contribute to the unsustainable "two flagships a year" model that saw the Lumia 900 flop last year
    • Launch with no breakout software update, and WP8 is simply way too far from feature complete

    Wrong, and almost a full year since the 808 was unveiled, still wrong. Nokia used a dedicated image processor to the 808. HTC did the same with the Titan II. The base SOC does not matter in the slightest.
    So there shouldn't be a problem... I wonder what is taking so long. Microsoft and Nokia have had access to this technology for two years, and it has been in mass production for almost one year.. It should be an easy port over. And just to clarify, the titian runs on windows ce, not nt .. There is a difference
  23. AngryNil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,383 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,387 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    I wonder what is taking so long.
    I assume Nokia is trying to get the module to be thinner, and/or it's looking for the Windows Phone release where EOS will fit in to its lineup nicely. Launching EOS with WP7 would have been a bad idea, and launching it with WP8 would have made the 920's camera look bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    And just to clarify, the titian runs on windows ce, not nt .. There is a difference
    What's the difference there, do you think NT doesn't/can't support additional processors?
  24. Abdul Rahman Noor's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Acbuono5 View Post
    But if Nokia starts to release high end smartphones every 6 months, I think their phones' quality is going to go down the drain (unless they stopped cutting positions and have hired more designers and engineers recently which I haven't heard be the case yet)
    True. This is the biggest thing that put me off Sony - the XPERIA S, then T and now Z all within a year makes you wonder why bother buying a flagship if it isn't gonna be one anymore in 3 months.
  25. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,021 Posts
    #25  
    on the upside, my 920 still rules them all XD
    justop26 and StefEBear like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any buyers remorse after Nokia 900 and LTE announcements?
    By snowmutt in forum Samsung Focus S 4G
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
  2. Nokia: Lumia 610 isn't cheap enough!
    By bilzkh in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM
  3. What Will you Do if No Verizon/Sprint WP7 is Announced at Nokia World?
    By Bballbenb in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 06:06 AM
  4. Samsung & Nokia Phone Announcements and Conjecture
    By red grenadine in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 10:31 PM
  5. Nokia Sea Ray to be officially announced today?
    By smartpatrol in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Posting Permissions