Lumia 920 photo softness might be a screen rendering problem!

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Edit: Find my app HD Photo Viewer from the store.
wp_ss_20140222_0002.png
or scan this QR code
HD Photo.png

An update has been pushed out which includes most of the features you requested, such as
1. Support for subfolder and nested subfolders
2. Optimised loading time. Now on startup the app only loads the first 50 photos and it continues to load more when you scroll down.
Latest photo on top
4. continuous view. You don't have to go back to the photo list to chose the next photo, just swipe or use the buttons.
5. Double tap to zoom in/out.
6. Show your favourite photos in live tile. To do this click the "+Star" button when viewing a photo.
wp_ss_20130320_0002.jpg

Sorry there is no API avaliable for third party apps to delete photos from the phone.

Please see below some screenshots of the updated app.

wp_ss_20130315_0004.jpgwp_ss_20130315_0007.jpgwp_ss_20130315_0008.jpgwp_ss_20130315_0005.jpgwp_ss_20130315_0006.jpg

Original Post:

I noticed that photos look sharper in some apps (such as ProShot) but once they are saved into the photo library they look blurry. Initially I though this is due to some quality loss when saving the photos to the picture library, but after copying the photos to computer they look sharp again. Please compare the following.

1. A screenshot (Win+Power) of a photo within the ProShot app.

2. The same photo but opened from the Picture hub, screenshot from the phont.

3. The same photo copied to a PC and cropped.

The above photo was taken using the ProShot app.

I also tested this with the phone's default camera app.

1. A screenshot of the photo opened from the picture hub

2. The same photo copied to PC and cropped.

Any one who has experienced the same could you please share?

1. Photo taken using the default camera app and cropped on a PC

2. The same photo when viewed in the photo library on the phone

Another interesting finding: when a photo is cropped on the phone to, say 50% of its original size, the photo becomes crisp. So it seems that the phone only allocate a certain amount of graphics memory to each photo when rendering it on the phone screen, which it exceeds that size, the phone drops the rendering quality.

Even DSLR photos are rendered as blurry on the phone!!
1. viewed on PC
2. rendered on Lumia 920

:winktongue:it may take sometime for MS or Nokia to 'fix' the problem. So I have made a simple app called "HD Photo Viewer". I have submitted it to the store and you should be able to find it in about a week.

wp_ss_20130304_0002.jpg
wp_ss_20130304_0003.jpg
Just a comparison between my app and the system picture hub. The forum might have applied some compression. For full sized images check my Skydrive.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130225_0016.jpg
    wp_ss_20130225_0016.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20130313_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130313_0001.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 10
  • wp_ss_20130313_0003.png
    wp_ss_20130313_0003.png
    449.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

KAI3R

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
That's a huge difference, I'm quite intrigued to see if my phone and others do the same thing. If true, and all the problems are just a result of the phone trying to speed up things by slightly blurring the images (which is ingenious)... it is odd that with all the reports of photo quality Nokia hasn't announced that this was the reason, or maybe didn't even know.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
And I thought everyone knew about it since I asked it and nobody care to reply as if it's common knowledge :|
I also took a test and here's result:

The same image, left-top one is screenshot from phone. Right-top one is "enlarged" version from PC and the small middle one is true 100% crop.
That also means the zooming in WP is more than just 100%.

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Even viewed at 100% scale, it is still blurry when opened from the Picture Hub.
I am having a chat with an Nokia representative right now. They don't know about this problem.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
this is amazing, it seems you were doing these comparisons right when I was thinking about doing it, although in my case I was going to point out how the photos saved from ProShot are not what the look in the app.
I had bought the app after reading all the praise on one of the forums, and soon after that I noticed the difference and I was really disappointed with the app, although I had not looked at the photos on a PC.
thanks for the info.I don't know what to think of the app, although it has some other features that are pretty useful, so I guess it 's not useless.

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
It is the system photo viewer to blame. Camera is fine, camera firmware doesn't have big problems.
Copy a high quality photo from a DSLR to the phone and it will be rendered as blurry.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
this is amazing, it seems you were doing these comparisons right when I was thinking about doing it, although in my case I was going to point out how the photos saved from ProShot are not what the look in the app.
I had bought the app after reading all the praise on one of the forums, and soon after that I noticed the difference and I was really disappointed with the app, although I had not looked at the photos on a PC.
thanks for the info.I don't know what to think of the app, although it has some other features that are pretty useful, so I guess it 's not useless.

Well, the creator of Proshot himself claimed that the picture quality's the same with stock camera app. The different is other features and controls (MF, burst, WB...), these only really worth the money :). I, initially, only aimed to these features, not expect Proshot can provide better quality images at all.

To OP, yes, the problem is picture hub itself. It actively reduces picture quality in order to enhance performance, which I think isn't good. Since the only reason we use zooming feature is to view details of pictures, not to get a blurrier view of images. This problem exists long ago on Zune devices.

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Well, the creator of Proshot himself claimed that the picture quality's the same with stock camera app. The different is other features and controls (MF, burst, WB...), these only really worth the money :). I, initially, only aimed to these features, not expect Proshot can provide better quality images at all.

To OP, yes, the problem is picture hub itself. It actively reduces picture quality in order to enhance performance, which I think isn't good. Since the only reason we use zooming feature is to view details of pictures, not to get a blurrier view of images. This problem exists long ago on Zune devices.

Yes I just saw your post about the same problem...really frustrating

kiddori

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
So what should be done for best pics? Use ProShot and not worry about the screen rendering?

How about 16:9 vs 4:3?

brucexli

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
@brucexli:
How is it going with your app "HD Photo Viwer" ?
I can not find it in the store.

Microsoft says my app is useless and does not want to publish it. I will need to add some other really useless functions to make the app "useful"...don't worry, I promise I will get it into the marketplace.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft says my app is useless and does not want to publish it. I will need to add some other really useless functions to make the app "useful"...don't worry, I promise I will get it into the marketplace.

Is it some way that you can send it to me so I can install and test it ?

Tyrion1984

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this app!
Some question about it:
1-in store it says "it can also be loaded directly from the “Edit” menu of the system picture viewer", You mean, is it possible to set it as default gallery after taking a picture?
2-suggestion for the future --> it would be nice to add double tap to full zoom in-out and a live tile based on camera roll
Thanks for your effort!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers