any fixes for 920 battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordon cai

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got my lumia 920, I realize the battery is draining really fast by the end of the day it's completely dead after about 8hrs. I have read through a lot of forums and posts most would be advising to turn off nokia drive and all other background task. what I want to know is, is there a real fix to this? like a update from Microsoft or nokia instead of all these tweaks. also my phone gets quite hot even after a short use. is that also from the battery?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery lasts two to three days and doesn't get hot. Make sure NFC is turned off if you are not using it. Also, battery life will improve over time after a few recharge cycles.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My lumia 920 is fine during idle, but when it's in use, the battery drains very rapidly. It seems it cannot last for 2-3hrs for continuous usage. Anyone have the same situation when it-use?

Besides, I noticed someone is claiming battery indicator app is one of the culprit, anybody feels the same? It yes, I am going to remove battery indicator.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
CNET How To - Boost battery life on Windows Phone 8 - YouTube

^Actually quite a good video by cnet. Not too sure about the backup thing, never heard that mentioned plus mine says last backed up 19h ago so its not too frequent... Otherwise excellent advice. Also turn off bluetooth if you dont use it.

My lumia 920 is fine during idle, but when it's in use, the battery drains very rapidly. It seems it cannot last for 2-3hrs for continuous usage. Anyone have the same situation when it-use?

Yep, same here, maybe 4hs it'll last with constant usage.

I just got my lumia 920

Give it a bit, some people report battery improving after 2 days, some 1 week, others 1 month.
For me it took about 2 weeks before i started getting some acceptable battery levels, 3 months on its slowly getting better everyday.

anon(515154)

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine was lasting 8/9 hours during the first week but now it lasts a whole day. Keep using it and performe a battery drain at the start of week 2.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Mine actually just got worse. All the Nokia apps updated yesterday and while my phone was idle it went down 35%. I shut all of them off and am waiting to see if it helped.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Try a soft reset after you take it off charger everyday for a while. You could have a process hung and causing issues. Battery does get better with time. But, it will still be mediocre compared to most top end phones. I have a Razr for work and 920 wouldn't make it through half a day if I had to use it as a daily driver. I'm not sure if its OS or hardware or combo, but I would gladly give up wireless charging if they crammed a little more battery in.

joeaux

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is one of those things that just won't die. There is nothing wrong with the Lumia 920 battery life. Nothing. It will last all day under normal to slightly heavy use. In standby the thing will last for days. If your phone is dying more quickly than you believe it should either your phone is defective (in that case take advantage of the warranty) or you've got a rampant app killing the battery. And that rampant app is not Nokia Drive. I have no problems with any of the Nokia apps. My 920 has fantastic battery life. I don't throw chicken bones or perform any voodoo either. The other thing is, give it a while! Sheesh you just got it! When we first get a new piece of tech we always use the heck out of it. Not meaning to be a butt here, just stating facts. Lumia 920 is a great phone. Now if Microsoft and Nokia would just fix the Live Tile issue with WP 7.8, but that's another topic.
-joe-

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This is one of those things that just won't die. There is nothing wrong with the Lumia 920 battery life. Nothing. It will last all day under normal to slightly heavy use. In standby the thing will last for days. If your phone is dying more quickly than you believe it should either your phone is defective (in that case take advantage of the warranty) or you've got a rampant app killing the battery. And that rampant app is not Nokia Drive. I have no problems with any of the Nokia apps. My 920 has fantastic battery life. I don't throw chicken bones or perform any voodoo either. The other thing is, give it a while! Sheesh you just got it! When we first get a new piece of tech we always use the heck out of it. Not meaning to be a butt here, just stating facts. Lumia 920 is a great phone. Now if Microsoft and Nokia would just fix the Live Tile issue with WP 7.8, but that's another topic.
-joe-

If there is nothing wrong, explain my phone:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/216340-2.htm#post1898896

I concur with you in that it may be a hardware fault. But an intermittent one? I guess it's not impossible, but I swung to a firmware bug as that is more likely to be intermittent.

As for rampant apps, since you as a user cannot control your apps or see what it running, that's a big hole as people have no control over their phone. Having no control is fine, but then we expect the phone OS to prevent 'rampant apps' from being, well, rampant. Personally since I've disabled 99% of background apps, I don't believe it is that on my phone.

Either way, for many people there is something wrong with the battery life...

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
-joe-

Apparently, it is an issue or we wouldn't be talking about it over and over. After 4 months I finally have descent battery life. But, I have had to turn off pretty much everything on the device and only use it sparingly. On my BB 9810 I received about 50 notifications of all sorts per day. I've had to turn off fb, which doesn't work anyway, twitter, work email, Gmail. I now get about 15 per day from remaining email account. And I have had to turn off everything but Weather app in background. LTE, screen, WiFi are all too taxing on the battery. What's the point of a smart phone when you can't use it? Last Nokia I own, maybe last WP for a while. MS and Nokia both have a lot of work to do to even have a chance against a+a.

gordon cai

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
yesterday I let the battery die and charged it up all night, I woke up it says 100% 1day 15hours. seems to have gone up abit. so is 1day 15hour consider good for a fully charged 920?

NoLoveForFrank

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This is one of those things that just won't die. There is nothing wrong with the Lumia 920 battery life. Nothing.
-joe-

I would argue you are correct on a technicality. I do believe there is nothing wrong with the Lumia 920 with regards to battery life. However, I think there's been more than enough evidence that there is something wrong with battery life concerning either Windows Phone 8 or with one or more of the apps it uses.

Case in point. Right now, my battery condition (from the Settings menu, I don't use any battery apps) is 71% at 10 hours since last charge. Now, to provide a level of detail as to what went into that:
~3 bars of LTE for cell connection
Wifi off
NFC off
Bluetooth on
Touch sensitivity High
1 email account push (Gmail)
2 email accounts checked every 2 hours (Yahoo, iCloud)
Only 1 app allowed in background, WeatherFlow (update in 1 hour increments)
No additonal items pinned as live tiles, only what comes with the OS (WeatherFlow is used on lockscreen, not home)

Usage:
Sent three text messages
Added a password lock to the lockscreen
Checked battery usage in settings four times
1 internet search
Always, always, always use the back arrow key and close out apps when I'm done with them.

Now, 30% in 10 hours with that level of activity isn't terrible. Not outstanding, but not terrible. But, the kicker of the story is this: the drop looked more like: from 6am-11am down from 100% to 78%, and from 11am to 4pm down from 78% to 71%. That's a pretty radical delta in drop between the two times, especially with such light usage...from roughly 4.5% per hour (yes I know...not completely accurate, but as an average) to roughly 1.5% per hour. As a breakdown, two text messages, the quick internet search (looked up a definition of a word) and two batter checks in the first 5 hours, the rest in the second 5. The big difference....at 11 when I noticed the draw I performed a power down (held the power button down, slid down to turn off, held the power button to turn on). Nothing was changed in settings, and each time I made sure after doing anything to spam the back button to make sure that nothing was remaining running. It's not the first time this has happened to me, and definitely not the first time it has happened to many others.

It's pretty clear that there is some sort of rogue process that is eating up battery power and isn't showing up on the app list. I tend to like the idea of the GPS as the culprit as I've occasionally seen the icon in the top bar appear even without any apps using it having loaded. As well most of the time (I believe every but I can't be 100% sure) the upper right portion of the phone when looking at the screen feels very hot at the times the batter seems to be draining rather precipitously. I can recall a few times when the phone hit battery saver mode (20% left), even with that on and doing nothing with the phone within two hours it would drop to as low as 7%. And yet other times I can spend over an hour on the phone, maybe 100 or so texts, a few hours of listening to music, and maybe an hour and a half to two hours of web surfing and still not even hit batter saver when I finish up for the day.

Something is definitely going on, and I think it is incumbent upon Microsoft AND the handset manufacturers to try and come up with a fix. Having been through similar issues with a number of iPhones, and a few other smartphones, it doesn't surprise me that something like this is happening when moving to a new hardware platform coupled with the first release of a new OS. Bound to be growing pains, and my past experience is they usually get sorted out. It seems perfectly within the capability of the manufacturers and developers to identify the cause of the problem and to provide some sort of fix...the question is whether or not they will.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Besides, I noticed someone is claiming battery indicator app is one of the culprit, anybody feels the same? It yes, I am going to remove battery indicator.
I had the exact same problem. I reset the phone to factory ( about - reset phone). I do think the battery monitors are suspect. I now get 20 to 40.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Has one else experienced this? My battery would last all day for the past few weeks... but ever since all the Nokia mapping apps got updated to HERE, my battery drains so fast! I turned off all the HERE background tasks, but that doesn't help. I don't want to uninstall them though! :(

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Has one else experienced this? My battery would last all day for the past few weeks... but ever since all the Nokia mapping apps got updated to HERE, my battery drains so fast! I turned off all the HERE background tasks, but that doesn't help. I don't want to uninstall them though! :(

Try a soft reset. Process may be hung.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

That's what is happening to mine now. I shut them off in the background but my battery didn't last the day today. I love my phone but this is annoying. What now? This is my second phone,i still have the old one can I switch the batteries out? should I?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
That's what is happening to mine now. I shut them off in the background but my battery didn't last the day today. I love my phone but this is annoying. What now? This is my second phone,i still have the old one can I switch the batteries out? should I?

Here's what I'm going to do. Dump this phone and OS in a drawer and go get a Note 2 or wait for SGS4. I'm hoping wp8 is like fine wine, just needs to age a bit. I'll revisit it in a couple of years and see how it is them.

Andrew del Valle

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not ready to give up. My Focus never had these problems. I switched from my Nokia n70 to the Focus cuz it stunk. I was excited about all the positive reviews for the 920 but this battery is driving me nuts. Just pulled it off my charger and hopefully its better now. It was at 10%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb