Audio Quality Concerns

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I will be switching from a SG Note to the Lumia 920 very soon despite the GS4 releasing on the 14th of march. Im super bored of the android interface and love windows. Just have a major concern- The audio quality. I am an audiophile of sorts and the Note was horrible in this department. The Note and GS2 had a Yamaha audio chip inside as compared to the previous models that had a Wolfson chip. And the audio quality on the Note through headphones/aux/bluetooth totally sucked.

How does the L920 fare in this department? How's the audio quality as compared to the iPhone or the iPod or the Zune Players etc?
Can you create playlists on the phone and are the EQ settings accessible in the Music app itself?

Also, since its been months since you guys have been using the phone, what do you think of it NOW? do you still love it as much as the time you got it? any regrets?
Do you think the Store is gonna grow quite a lot considering Nokia is releasing so many windows 8 phones?\

Any responses to this would be great! thank you :)

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
oh, also, do your Gmail Contacts etc sync with the L920?
I have all my phone contacts on Gmail and they sync flawlessly on my blackberry and my Note. So will it work the same way with the 920?
Does the 920 automatically save a contact if i save it on my Blackberry and vice versa?

fujigranfondo

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I can only give you impressions of the sound quality of the L920. I think it sounds amazing compare to the zune, ipod, and iphones. It really took me by surprise by how well it was able to power my headphones. I use Denon adh1001 and they have never sounded better. I used to think the zune was the best sounding mp3 player I've ever use but the Nokia is a lot better. The new EQ on the L920 work great. Just bring your headphones with you to a carrier and test out the Nokia L920. One thing with Nokia is that they will support their phones unlike others. You could always expect exclusives from them because they are the only ones to seem to care more about W8P. As far as I'm concerned Nokia is W8P.

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I can only give you impressions of the sound quality of the L920. I think it sounds amazing compare to the zune, ipod, and iphones. It really took me by surprise by how well it was able to power my headphones. I use Denon adh1001 and they have never sounded better. I used to think the zune was the best sounding mp3 player I've ever use but the Nokia is a lot better. The new EQ on the L920 work great. Just bring your headphones with you to a carrier and test out the Nokia L920. One thing with Nokia is that they will support their phones unlike others. You could always expect exclusives from them because they are the only ones to seem to care more about W8P. As far as I'm concerned Nokia is W8P.

Hey! thank you for the response. That sounds great! excited to pick it up soon.
Can you create playlist or even line up your songs on the go on the phone itself?

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Also, for anyone reading this. Just a small question.
Does the calendar app sync with facebook? and display people's birthdays etc? and does that come on the live tiles?

I know im bombarding with too many questions. Just too finicky sometimes. :p

dermotw

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I use both gmail and my companys msmail from my 920 and they both sync mail fine, I don't bother much with e.g. calendars but I noticed that the msmail one got synced, and it can sync the gmail one as well (I don't use it). Don't know about FB?, I never looked to see if it e.g. shows a birthday on the tile but I'd suspect it does. You can create playlists with Nokia Music or other music apps.

kr D.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 920's DSP is not one of the best ones out there..

More on what those numbers mean here: GSMArena feature labs: The tests - GSMArena.com

Truqet4.jpg

gsmarena_a001.png

From here: Nokia Lumia 920 review: The Luminary - GSMArena.com

They have that graph for almost every phone. I am kind of an audiophile myself, and its tends to be a pretty significant deciding factor when I am choosing a smartphone.

I've tried SGS1, iPhone 4, 4s, 5, Nokia N8, Nokia N9, Lumia 900 - 920, and an Nokia 808.. the best sounding out of the bunch is the 808 without a doubt, after that the 4s SGS1 and the N8 are pretty close, and also very good..

I've tested all of them with a pretty sensitive armature headphone.. Earsonic sm3v2 http://i.imgur.com/aKgBSWa.jpg

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
What did you think of the 920? I know numbers speak a lot. But from a personal point of view, how do you think the 920 compares to the iPhone/iPod?

I lost my Cowon D2 so hope the Lumia 920 would be able to replace it.

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I'm an owner of Lumia 920, previosely I had Iphone 4 and HTC one S. My impressions of sound quality are next:
Comparing to Iphone 4 and HTC one S sound in Lumia 920 is much better (generally more live), BUT it is relatively bad comparing to old Nokia 5310 XpressMusic and E51.
The thing is that in Lumia 920, like in many nowadays smartphones strong accent is made on bass, but not on quality! Comparing to Nokia 5310 XpressMusic and my old E51 with lumia I must confess that first ones have more clearer, detailed sound in high scene (vocal, electric guitar, music instruments, ect.) and less superficial sound. I can even say that my laptop (Dell D630 with integrated audiocard) sounds little bit better than Lumia (little brigter, less superficial bass).
BUT I have Amber on my Lumia (Amber has ability of sound regulation on phones) - perhaps this WP insertion has some sound precessing by default that is aimed to make it louder and add more basses. I will wait till 8.1 WM to see

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I am a guitarist and I am very strict when it comes to this kind of stuff. The sound quality of 920 is not good in my opinion (Well at least it is just my ears) . My Zune 120GB Mp3 Player is better a miles away from 920. (I am using a quality headphones).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes