Poor quality video uploads.

Corey Hertzig

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
When I bought the Lumia 920, I fell in love. Everything about this phone is amazing, except for one of the main reasons that I bought it... which is to upload videos to youtube, wordpress, and skydrive.

I hate to be a complainer, but what's the point of having a phone that can shoot 1080 but can only be backed up in extremely low quality? A 4 minute video I shot and uploaded turned out to be compressed down to 14 mb. I'd understand not being able to backup a full 1080 video, but couldn't we at least get something a little higher quality? Seems like 25mb a minute would produce a high enough quality to actually be viewable.

Is there any way to get higher quality video uploads without needing to plug my Lumia into a laptop to transfer the video? Kind of hard to lug a laptop around while you're traveling...

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
When I bought the Lumia 920, I fell in love. Everything about this phone is amazing, except for one of the main reasons that I bought it... which is to upload videos to youtube, wordpress, and skydrive.

I hate to be a complainer, but what's the point of having a phone that can shoot 1080 but can only be backed up in extremely low quality? A 4 minute video I shot and uploaded turned out to be compressed down to 14 mb. I'd understand not being able to backup a full 1080 video, but couldn't we at least get something a little higher quality? Seems like 25mb a minute would produce a high enough quality to actually be viewable.

Is there any way to get higher quality video uploads without needing to plug my Lumia into a laptop to transfer the video? Kind of hard to lug a laptop around while you're traveling...

you can plug the phone into a computer and copy the file off directly. That's your only choice. I use my surface rt with 64gb sd card when traveling...

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

Go to settings>applications>photos+camera, click on Skydrive and see if your upload "best quality" automatic upload is turned on. Only can achieve full quality through WiFi.

pinoyrepn1124

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings>applications>photos+camera, click on Skydrive and see if your upload "best quality" automatic upload is turned on. Only can achieve full quality through WiFi.

This is pretty useful tip . . Thank you . . Does it still compress to a certain size when you select best quality ?

gladbecker82

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
if you record long 1080p Clips on the Lumia you realize your Files can gain GB sizes pretty quick? For example, pictures uploaded to skydrive also have smaller filesizes then the original, meaning they lose quality. might be the same with videos.

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I found out something strange. I can upload a 1 minute and 17 second video clip (shot in 720P) to SkyDrive and it'll be uncompressed. Today I tried uploading a 4+ minute video and it compressed it down to something like 13 megabytes with very poor quality. So I know I can upload uncompressed video but there seems to be a size or time limit.

I just tried uploading other random videos in my camera roll, I found one that is 1 minute 28 seconds, and it also gets compressed. I don't understand why there is a limit to uploading an uncompressed video if we have to upload through WiFi. We also have to pay Microsoft for more space, it seems like they would want people to fill up their SkyDrive storage. Maybe this is a bug? They should at least give us an option to upload uncompressed videos no matter the size.

homesick_alien

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue, there doesn't appear to be any middle ground...
For a 5 minute video, you can choose to upload a poor quality 320x240 15mb file or full quality 400mb file

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs