Nokia Exclusives are for Nokia only, 'cause they damn well paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DurnDurnDurn

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Problem is HTC and Samsung are of the mindset they just want to keep throwing handsets at consumers to make money. They launch and forget. Nokia wants to retain their customers and that's why when the Nokia Lumia 928 comes out for Verizon I will be getting it and probably here on out I will only be getting Nokia Phones because they care about their customers. I think HTC could do a great job but they worry about their Android lineup too much even though they are getting clobbered by Samsung in that arena.... *sigh* HTC, when will you learn.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Problem is HTC and Samsung are of the mindset they just want to keep throwing handsets at consumers to make money. They launch and forget. Nokia wants to retain their customers and that's why when the Nokia Lumia 928 comes out for Verizon I will be getting it and probably here on out I will only be getting Nokia Phones because they care about their customers. I think HTC could do a great job but they worry about their Android lineup too much even though they are getting clobbered by Samsung in that arena.... *sigh* HTC, when will you learn.

It's a combo of certain things. HTC has a certain amount in their R&D budget. They look at their revenue outlooks from Android and Windows Phone and they acknowledge that, for now, most of their resources need to go where most of the revenue is coming from. If the 8X and 8S meet or exceed their expectations, HTC will start funding more.

Nokia put all of their eggs in their basket, so whatever software R&D budget they have goes towards developing apps and other cool software tweaks.

So yes, Nokia has every right to make those apps exclusive...but HTC is simply playing the game reactively instead of proactively. Either way, it kinda sucks...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia exclusive apps don't bother me at all. I had an 822 and have since moved to an 8X. The only apps I really miss are Nokia music and creative studio, but there are suitable replacements for both. When it's time to upgrade again I'll look at Nokia, but the apps aren't what will get my money.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its unfortunate that HTC decides to spend budget updating Sense for android; now more like live tiles. Idk wtf they're shooting for.

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I went with Nokia for my WP8 device for several reasons:

-The 920 is a wonderful device
-Nokia put all it all down on Windows Phone (I figure this bodes well for ongoing support), whereas HTC and Samsung are just dabbling in it
-Nokia seemed to be the only manufacturer trying to add something to WP8 to differentiate itself

I don't see any reason for people to complain about the exclusivity Nokia apps. They're developed by Nokia for Nokia clients. I don't see HTC users complaining that their Android devices don't have Samsung/TouchWiz Apps and widgets. I can understand wishing that Nokia apps were available on HTC and Samsung phones, but being upset that that isn't the case makes no sense to me.

David Best

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
my problem with HTC and Samsung is that they bring phones out rapidly and nine times out of ten the new phone they bring is is going to be better then the old one, at least with Nokia's wp8 line up
i know that the L920 is the flagship and will be supported for a long time. Plus i think Nokia really need the Luimas to be a hit or they will be in real trouble, they've been advertising like mad in the UK.
But i dont really use any of the Nokia apps apart from the transit app and some lens

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, even you don't have to get the high-end device, the Lumia 620/520 will have all of the exclusives that their hardware allows.. Nokia is the best OEM for Windows phone.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I honestly wish other windows phones users (HTC, Samsung and blah) stop complaining so much. It's beginning to get annoying now. You should have done your research well or at least seen the launch video of Nokia Lumia 920 and then bought a phone if you wanted the nokia applications.

Till then lick your wounds.

No probs bro enjoy your exclusives:

• Cant call to any toll free numbers from Lumia 920
  • Speech recognition doesn't work, anyone else?
  • Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920
  • Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days
  • Fix for rotation no longer working?
  • Battery drains really fast when idle
  • Lumia 920 LED Flash Fail
  • Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset
  • I've recently won a Lumia 920 but the phone I have has a slight light leakage on bottom left corner
  • Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source
I could've put the links in for you but you won't have to go far. They're all on the same page your post is.
lol.
That's just page one. There's a stark contrast here to another device's forum I was just on.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I went with Nokia for my WP8 device for several reasons:

-The 920 is a wonderful device
-Nokia put all it all down on Windows Phone (I figure this bodes well for ongoing support), whereas HTC and Samsung are just dabbling in it
-Nokia seemed to be the only manufacturer trying to add something to WP8 to differentiate itself

I don't see any reason for people to complain about the exclusivity Nokia apps. They're developed by Nokia for Nokia clients. I don't see HTC users complaining that their Android devices don't have Samsung/TouchWiz Apps and widgets. I can understand wishing that Nokia apps were available on HTC and Samsung phones, but being upset that that isn't the case makes no sense to me.

ya i completely agree with that. people just need a reason to ***** when it comes to WP, or so it seems.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No probs bro enjoy your exclusives:

• Cant call to any toll free numbers from Lumia 920
  • Speech recognition doesn't work, anyone else?
  • Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920
  • Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days
  • Fix for rotation no longer working?
  • Battery drains really fast when idle
  • Lumia 920 LED Flash Fail
  • Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset
  • I've recently won a Lumia 920 but the phone I have has a slight light leakage on bottom left corner
  • Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source
I could've put the links in for you but you won't have to go far. They're all on the same page your post is.
lol.
That's just page one. There's a stark contrast here to another device's forum I was just on.
You should go in to read these. A lot of them are user error.
- I make calls to toll-free numbers every day
- Speech recognition has nothing to do with Nokia, and mine works great.
- I love the camera. This was almost definitely user error.
- Nope
- Had the issue, it was rectified
- etc...

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
HTC don't update Android either, my last two phones before my Lumia 920 were HTC. You never get the latest version of Android after the one you get it with unless you hack the phone and put on a custom ROM. Hence why I won't be getting another HTC. They just want to shift units, after that they do not care, short sighted really. Nokia are doing an amazing job with the Lumia and exclusive apps etc.

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I honestly wish other windows phones users (HTC, Samsung and blah) stop complaining so much. It's beginning to get annoying now. You should have done your research well or at least seen the launch video of Nokia Lumia 920 and then bought a phone if you wanted the nokia applications.

Till then lick your wounds.

Benji_SwitchPitch - YouTube

Um.. the VAST majority of users who buy these phones don't come onto these forums. They walk into a store and look at the different devices and go from there.

Seen the video? Done research? How would ANYONE KNOW THAT WORDS WITH FRIENDS WAS A FREE EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA? Is it mentioned ANYWHERE at AT&T? Nokia SHOULD NOT BE THE ONES BUYING EXCLUSIVES, THIS SHOULD BE MICROSOFT. Differentiated? Hardware/features/looks/colors can all separate out the manufacturers.. First party apps? Sure.. keep the first party apps to the manufacturer.. third party apps shouldn't be kept exclusive. Keeping apps from users is always bad.

Microsoft has pretty much wiped their hands and called it a finished product and left Nokia to fill in the blanks. That's a TERRIBLE idea because you're causing rifts in the platform. Instead of unifying Windows Phone 8 and it's users, we're fragmented.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Um.. the VAST majority of users who buy these phones don't come onto these forums. They walk into a store and look at the different devices and go from there.

Seen the video? Done research? How would ANYONE KNOW THAT WORDS WITH FRIENDS WAS A FREE EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA? Is it mentioned ANYWHERE at AT&T? Nokia SHOULD NOT BE THE ONES BUYING EXCLUSIVES, THIS SHOULD BE MICROSOFT. Differentiated? Hardware/features/looks/colors can all separate out the manufacturers.. First party apps? Sure.. keep the first party apps to the manufacturer.. third party apps shouldn't be kept exclusive. Keeping apps from users is always bad.

Microsoft has pretty much wiped their hands and called it a finished product and left Nokia to fill in the blanks. That's a TERRIBLE idea because you're causing rifts in the platform. Instead of unifying Windows Phone 8 and it's users, we're fragmented.

Do you even read, bro?
Portico update is out and there is already another updated on the Nokia servers.
And also, Blue is supposed to come out at the end of the year.

I don't think "wiped their hands" means what you think it means.

sniffs

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Do you even read, bro?
Portico update is out and there is already another updated on the Nokia servers.
And also, Blue is supposed to come out at the end of the year.

I don't think "wiped their hands" means what you think it means.

When I said "wiped their hands" I didn't mean they are done with it. Obviously they are going to have updates.. but they aren't doing their part in bringing people to the platform. They run some advertisements, and have their little store tests they do compared to other devices.. but they aren't bringing innovation to the platform.

Do they have any sort of first party News readers? Where's Bing turn by turn nav? Where's Winphone 8's first party IM solution? iOS has iMessenger, Android has Google Talk.. winphone has.....?

MS needs to pump the OS full of first party apps from their development centers, stat. Bring some innovation to the table.. make people go "whoa check out this cool winphone8 only app!"

RevoMikey101

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I used to own a samsung omnia i8910, it was a great phone, or at least it had great potential, its downfall was samsung themselves, once they sold you the phone you were on your own, the updates were crap, scarce and they didnt care about their customers, since i had the 920 this last 5 weeks i have had several nice tweaks and updates, all quite useful too. the omnia was built with multitouch in mind, but samsung never turned that function on, says it all really, thankfully the hackers improved it with custom roms.

Thats what you get for buying nokia, good support, solid build quality and reliable phones, although w8 and the 920 still have some work that needs to be done.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You should go in to read these. A lot of them are user error.
- I make calls to toll-free numbers every day
- Speech recognition has nothing to do with Nokia, and mine works great.
- I love the camera. This was almost definitely user error.
- Nope
- Had the issue, it was rectified
- etc...

I did read them because I knew this would be one of the first arguments used against me. And most of them are bugs or defects. The minority are user error. And as I said, I was only listing threads from page one out of the entire 920 forum. Just because you can rectify a bug with a factory reset or calling Nokia support doesn't make it user error. It makes it a bug. Point being, WPC members overhype the Nokia brand quite a bit. They don't actually hold any quality control advantage over HTC at all. Some of you are falling into the exact same trap that I always accuse overzealous Samsung Android users of: confusing hype with device quality. Samsung are by far and away the most popular Android maker. But in reality their phones actually are NOT any better made than the next top 3 OEM's below them in sales

zc1

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
They don't actually hold any quality control advantage over HTC at all. Some of you are falling into the exact same trap that I always accuse overzealous Samsung Android users of: confusing hype with device quality. Samsung are by far and away the most popular Android maker. But in reality their phones actually are NOT any better made than the next top 3 OEM's below them in sales

I agree with a lot of the above. I've had a Note and Note 2 and my wife has a Galaxy SIII. Samsung build quality isn't anything to write home about, although I don't recall anyone claiming that it was. It's plastic. The Note 2 feels solid and sometimes looks nice, but it still creaks and gets dust around the home button.

The Lumia is in another league compared to the Samsung devices that I have owned. It's beautifully-crafted and actually feels like a premium device. I checked out the 8X when shopping for a WP8 device, and it was also nice. I preferred the look. feel and features of the Lumia, that's all.

The 'hype' about the Lumia is well-deserved, though. It's an incredible device, IMO. The fact that some have issues is not a deal-breaker. I see it (and sorry to use a tired comparison/stereotype) as being similar to buying a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. They are excellent vehicles. There's no denying that they are solidly-built and feel great to drive. On the down-side, though, historically they have had their fair share of issues down the line (electrical and other). That doesn't take away from the fact that they are *still* luxury cars. Same goes for the Lumia 920. it's solid. Some units have issues, but it's still a premium device.

As far as Android devices go, I still haven't held one that actually gave me a sense that it was truly a premium, high-end device. It's actually pretty disappointing. The upcoming HTC One might be the first to do it, but I won't get my hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills