Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree37Likes
  1. Ranak Mann's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
       #1  
    I honestly wish other windows phones users (HTC, Samsung and blah) stop complaining so much. It's beginning to get annoying now. You should have done your research well or at least seen the launch video of Nokia Lumia 920 and then bought a phone if you wanted the nokia applications.

    Till then lick your wounds.

    Last edited by Ranak Mann; 03-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.
  2. DurnDurnDurn's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    41 Posts
    #2  
    Problem is HTC and Samsung are of the mindset they just want to keep throwing handsets at consumers to make money. They launch and forget. Nokia wants to retain their customers and that's why when the Nokia Lumia 928 comes out for Verizon I will be getting it and probably here on out I will only be getting Nokia Phones because they care about their customers. I think HTC could do a great job but they worry about their Android lineup too much even though they are getting clobbered by Samsung in that arena.... *sigh* HTC, when will you learn.
  3. sravanv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DurnDurnDurn View Post
    Problem is HTC and Samsung are of the mindset they just want to keep throwing handsets at consumers to make money. They launch and forget. Nokia wants to retain their customers and that's why when the Nokia Lumia 928 comes out for Verizon I will be getting it and probably here on out I will only be getting Nokia Phones because they care about their customers. I think HTC could do a great job but they worry about their Android lineup too much even though they are getting clobbered by Samsung in that arena.... *sigh* HTC, when will you learn.
    It's a combo of certain things. HTC has a certain amount in their R&D budget. They look at their revenue outlooks from Android and Windows Phone and they acknowledge that, for now, most of their resources need to go where most of the revenue is coming from. If the 8X and 8S meet or exceed their expectations, HTC will start funding more.

    Nokia put all of their eggs in their basket, so whatever software R&D budget they have goes towards developing apps and other cool software tweaks.

    So yes, Nokia has every right to make those apps exclusive...but HTC is simply playing the game reactively instead of proactively. Either way, it kinda sucks...
    rimlover likes this.
  4. scottcraft's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,401 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,526 Global Posts
    #4  
    The Nokia exclusive apps don't bother me at all. I had an 822 and have since moved to an 8X. The only apps I really miss are Nokia music and creative studio, but there are suitable replacements for both. When it's time to upgrade again I'll look at Nokia, but the apps aren't what will get my money.
    Thanked by:
    gapost, Laura Knotek and ryker002 like this.
  5. jgbstetson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    413 Posts
    #5  
    Its unfortunate that HTC decides to spend budget updating Sense for android; now more like live tiles. Idk wtf they're shooting for.
    cedarlog likes this.
  6. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #6  
    I went with Nokia for my WP8 device for several reasons:

    -The 920 is a wonderful device
    -Nokia put all it all down on Windows Phone (I figure this bodes well for ongoing support), whereas HTC and Samsung are just dabbling in it
    -Nokia seemed to be the only manufacturer trying to add something to WP8 to differentiate itself

    I don't see any reason for people to complain about the exclusivity Nokia apps. They're developed by Nokia for Nokia clients. I don't see HTC users complaining that their Android devices don't have Samsung/TouchWiz Apps and widgets. I can understand wishing that Nokia apps were available on HTC and Samsung phones, but being upset that that isn't the case makes no sense to me.
    Thanked by:
  7. David Best's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #7  
    my problem with HTC and Samsung is that they bring phones out rapidly and nine times out of ten the new phone they bring is is going to be better then the old one, at least with Nokia's wp8 line up
    i know that the L920 is the flagship and will be supported for a long time. Plus i think Nokia really need the Luimas to be a hit or they will be in real trouble, they've been advertising like mad in the UK.
    But i dont really use any of the Nokia apps apart from the transit app and some lens
  8. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #8  
    Agreed, even you don't have to get the high-end device, the Lumia 620/520 will have all of the exclusives that their hardware allows.. Nokia is the best OEM for Windows phone.
    rimlover likes this.
  9. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranak Mann View Post
    I honestly wish other windows phones users (HTC, Samsung and blah) stop complaining so much. It's beginning to get annoying now. You should have done your research well or at least seen the launch video of Nokia Lumia 920 and then bought a phone if you wanted the nokia applications.

    Till then lick your wounds.
    No probs bro enjoy your exclusives:

    • Cant call to any toll free numbers from Lumia 920
    • Speech recognition doesn't work, anyone else?
    • Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920
    • Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days
    • Fix for rotation no longer working?
    • Battery drains really fast when idle
    • Lumia 920 LED Flash Fail
    • Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset
    • I've recently won a Lumia 920 but the phone I have has a slight light leakage on bottom left corner
    • Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source

    I could've put the links in for you but you won't have to go far. They're all on the same page your post is.
    lol.
    That's just page one. There's a stark contrast here to another device's forum I was just on.
  10. rimlover's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    I went with Nokia for my WP8 device for several reasons:

    -The 920 is a wonderful device
    -Nokia put all it all down on Windows Phone (I figure this bodes well for ongoing support), whereas HTC and Samsung are just dabbling in it
    -Nokia seemed to be the only manufacturer trying to add something to WP8 to differentiate itself

    I don't see any reason for people to complain about the exclusivity Nokia apps. They're developed by Nokia for Nokia clients. I don't see HTC users complaining that their Android devices don't have Samsung/TouchWiz Apps and widgets. I can understand wishing that Nokia apps were available on HTC and Samsung phones, but being upset that that isn't the case makes no sense to me.
    ya i completely agree with that. people just need a reason to ***** when it comes to WP, or so it seems.
  11. WanderingTraveler's Avatar

    Posts
    4,802 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,812 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #11  
    Actually, this is Nokia's replacement for in-house smartphone OS development.

    How do you think they have a lot of developers working on Windows Phone?
  12. BeaverJuicer's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    No probs bro enjoy your exclusives:

    • Cant call to any toll free numbers from Lumia 920
    • Speech recognition doesn't work, anyone else?
    • Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920
    • Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days
    • Fix for rotation no longer working?
    • Battery drains really fast when idle
    • Lumia 920 LED Flash Fail
    • Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset
    • I've recently won a Lumia 920 but the phone I have has a slight light leakage on bottom left corner
    • Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source

    I could've put the links in for you but you won't have to go far. They're all on the same page your post is.
    lol.
    That's just page one. There's a stark contrast here to another device's forum I was just on.
    You should go in to read these. A lot of them are user error.
    - I make calls to toll-free numbers every day
    - Speech recognition has nothing to do with Nokia, and mine works great.
    - I love the camera. This was almost definitely user error.
    - Nope
    - Had the issue, it was rectified
    - etc...
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac, karmamule, n7slc and 2 others like this.
  13. MF73's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #13  
    HTC don't update Android either, my last two phones before my Lumia 920 were HTC. You never get the latest version of Android after the one you get it with unless you hack the phone and put on a custom ROM. Hence why I won't be getting another HTC. They just want to shift units, after that they do not care, short sighted really. Nokia are doing an amazing job with the Lumia and exclusive apps etc.
    Bartdog and LeLee092 like this.
  14. sniffs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,646 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranak Mann View Post
    I honestly wish other windows phones users (HTC, Samsung and blah) stop complaining so much. It's beginning to get annoying now. You should have done your research well or at least seen the launch video of Nokia Lumia 920 and then bought a phone if you wanted the nokia applications.

    Till then lick your wounds.

    Um.. the VAST majority of users who buy these phones don't come onto these forums. They walk into a store and look at the different devices and go from there.

    Seen the video? Done research? How would ANYONE KNOW THAT WORDS WITH FRIENDS WAS A FREE EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA? Is it mentioned ANYWHERE at AT&T? Nokia SHOULD NOT BE THE ONES BUYING EXCLUSIVES, THIS SHOULD BE MICROSOFT. Differentiated? Hardware/features/looks/colors can all separate out the manufacturers.. First party apps? Sure.. keep the first party apps to the manufacturer.. third party apps shouldn't be kept exclusive. Keeping apps from users is always bad.

    Microsoft has pretty much wiped their hands and called it a finished product and left Nokia to fill in the blanks. That's a TERRIBLE idea because you're causing rifts in the platform. Instead of unifying Windows Phone 8 and it's users, we're fragmented.
    Thanked by:
    rcasey 
  15. Gungzwei's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    Um.. the VAST majority of users who buy these phones don't come onto these forums. They walk into a store and look at the different devices and go from there.

    Seen the video? Done research? How would ANYONE KNOW THAT WORDS WITH FRIENDS WAS A FREE EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA? Is it mentioned ANYWHERE at AT&T? Nokia SHOULD NOT BE THE ONES BUYING EXCLUSIVES, THIS SHOULD BE MICROSOFT. Differentiated? Hardware/features/looks/colors can all separate out the manufacturers.. First party apps? Sure.. keep the first party apps to the manufacturer.. third party apps shouldn't be kept exclusive. Keeping apps from users is always bad.

    Microsoft has pretty much wiped their hands and called it a finished product and left Nokia to fill in the blanks. That's a TERRIBLE idea because you're causing rifts in the platform. Instead of unifying Windows Phone 8 and it's users, we're fragmented.
    Do you even read, bro?
    Portico update is out and there is already another updated on the Nokia servers.
    And also, Blue is supposed to come out at the end of the year.

    I don't think "wiped their hands" means what you think it means.
    Thanked by:
  16. ARVI_SD's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    85 Posts
    #16  
    very valid - why not move this thread to common windows 8 section ?
  17. sniffs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,646 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungzwei View Post
    Do you even read, bro?
    Portico update is out and there is already another updated on the Nokia servers.
    And also, Blue is supposed to come out at the end of the year.

    I don't think "wiped their hands" means what you think it means.
    When I said "wiped their hands" I didn't mean they are done with it. Obviously they are going to have updates.. but they aren't doing their part in bringing people to the platform. They run some advertisements, and have their little store tests they do compared to other devices.. but they aren't bringing innovation to the platform.

    Do they have any sort of first party News readers? Where's Bing turn by turn nav? Where's Winphone 8's first party IM solution? iOS has iMessenger, Android has Google Talk.. winphone has.....?

    MS needs to pump the OS full of first party apps from their development centers, stat. Bring some innovation to the table.. make people go "whoa check out this cool winphone8 only app!"
  18. RevoMikey101's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #18  
    I used to own a samsung omnia i8910, it was a great phone, or at least it had great potential, its downfall was samsung themselves, once they sold you the phone you were on your own, the updates were crap, scarce and they didnt care about their customers, since i had the 920 this last 5 weeks i have had several nice tweaks and updates, all quite useful too. the omnia was built with multitouch in mind, but samsung never turned that function on, says it all really, thankfully the hackers improved it with custom roms.

    Thats what you get for buying nokia, good support, solid build quality and reliable phones, although w8 and the 920 still have some work that needs to be done.
  19. omniusovermind's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverJuicer View Post
    You should go in to read these. A lot of them are user error.
    - I make calls to toll-free numbers every day
    - Speech recognition has nothing to do with Nokia, and mine works great.
    - I love the camera. This was almost definitely user error.
    - Nope
    - Had the issue, it was rectified
    - etc...
    I did read them because I knew this would be one of the first arguments used against me. And most of them are bugs or defects. The minority are user error. And as I said, I was only listing threads from page one out of the entire 920 forum. Just because you can rectify a bug with a factory reset or calling Nokia support doesn't make it user error. It makes it a bug. Point being, WPC members overhype the Nokia brand quite a bit. They don't actually hold any quality control advantage over HTC at all. Some of you are falling into the exact same trap that I always accuse overzealous Samsung Android users of: confusing hype with device quality. Samsung are by far and away the most popular Android maker. But in reality their phones actually are NOT any better made than the next top 3 OEM's below them in sales
  20. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    They don't actually hold any quality control advantage over HTC at all. Some of you are falling into the exact same trap that I always accuse overzealous Samsung Android users of: confusing hype with device quality. Samsung are by far and away the most popular Android maker. But in reality their phones actually are NOT any better made than the next top 3 OEM's below them in sales
    I agree with a lot of the above. I've had a Note and Note 2 and my wife has a Galaxy SIII. Samsung build quality isn't anything to write home about, although I don't recall anyone claiming that it was. It's plastic. The Note 2 feels solid and sometimes looks nice, but it still creaks and gets dust around the home button.

    The Lumia is in another league compared to the Samsung devices that I have owned. It's beautifully-crafted and actually feels like a premium device. I checked out the 8X when shopping for a WP8 device, and it was also nice. I preferred the look. feel and features of the Lumia, that's all.

    The 'hype' about the Lumia is well-deserved, though. It's an incredible device, IMO. The fact that some have issues is not a deal-breaker. I see it (and sorry to use a tired comparison/stereotype) as being similar to buying a BMW, Mercedes or Audi. They are excellent vehicles. There's no denying that they are solidly-built and feel great to drive. On the down-side, though, historically they have had their fair share of issues down the line (electrical and other). That doesn't take away from the fact that they are *still* luxury cars. Same goes for the Lumia 920. it's solid. Some units have issues, but it's still a premium device.

    As far as Android devices go, I still haven't held one that actually gave me a sense that it was truly a premium, high-end device. It's actually pretty disappointing. The upcoming HTC One might be the first to do it, but I won't get my hopes up.
    karmamule likes this.
  21. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #21  
    Anyone who has ever had an HTC device sooner or later knows what to expect from the company. HTC's focus has always been drop it into the consumer's hands and forget about it. I don't know about Samsung as I have never had one.

    Simply put: to those that work hard go the spoils. It is enough that Nokia has given HTC users use of their maps. It isn't a charity event and even IF Nokia didn't pay for the exclusive rights there is NO guarantee that the app would even be in the marketplace to begin with. Nokia has thrown a bunch of money into the WP8 field and have lured the app developers into it. Hopefully the app developers won't leave after the exclusivity ends. It is Nokia's money. Not HTCs. If you wanted to use Nokia software, should have bought a Nokia product. If not, hopefully once the exclusivity ends, the app developer won't bail on the platform and will continue updating the app.
  22. David Best's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #22  
    but it would be sad if instagram was a nokia only app.....not for me because i have a lumia but for the other..
  23. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    #23  
    Sometimes I wish Nokia was in control of the OS, they get stuff done.
  24. inside man 55's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    91 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by omniusovermind View Post
    No probs bro enjoy your exclusives:

    • Cant call to any toll free numbers from Lumia 920
    • Speech recognition doesn't work, anyone else?
    • Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920
    • Lumia 920 has dust collecting in front camera but AT&T store won't accept it past 14 days
    • Fix for rotation no longer working?
    • Battery drains really fast when idle
    • Lumia 920 LED Flash Fail
    • Bricked my 920... careful of a hard reset
    • I've recently won a Lumia 920 but the phone I have has a slight light leakage on bottom left corner
    • Overnight freezing workaround and possible bug source

    I could've put the links in for you but you won't have to go far. They're all on the same page your post is.
    lol.
    That's just page one. There's a stark contrast here to another device's forum I was just on.
    Sounds like a bad phone. Quite a few went out when the phone launched. I have trouble hearing on calls, but my daughter dropped it, so self inflicted, speakerphone works great though.
  25. Jnbs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    360 Posts
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    Sometimes I wish Nokia was in control of the OS, they get stuff done.
    I agree.. MSFT is awesome don't get me wrong, but they are not only focused on the mobile area
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What apps for WP8 are Nokia exclusive?
    By saintforlife in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM
  2. Where is Viber w/calls for WP8 - the Nokia exclusive?
    By rockstarzzz in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
  3. Mirrors Edge - Nokia exclusive only?
    By crystal_planet in forum Windows Phone Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM
  4. What are the "Nokia exclusive" apps people talk about?
    By ticktock5 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
  5. Countdown for CNN and ESPN Nokia exclusive apps.
    By kenzibit in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Posting Permissions