Lumia 920 isn't being detected on PC. Also has trouble powering up when the battery drains.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So I just got a brand new Lumia 920 yesterday, and it doesn't connect to any of my laptops or desktop computer all running Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit. The phone does start charging but that's about it. There is no activity on the PC. Nothing in my computer, the Windows Phone metro app or the desktop app. Not even in the Device Manager as an Unknown Device. I wonder if this is a common issue, or there is something wrong with my phone.

Also, I let the battery drain completely the first time, but I noticed that the phone doesn't power on automatically when I connect it to the charger, like my Omnia 7 used to. I only shows my a large charging icon when I press the power button. Last night, I had to do a soft reset just to get it booted up again.

And yeah, it heated up while a single race of Asphalt 7, and the battery barely lasts about 7 hours over 2G and Wi-Fi when my Omnia 7 could easily go over a day under the same usage conditions.

To cut it short, is my device defective and should I try to get it replaced. The stock here is VERY limited but we buy phones off contract here (I paid about $620 for this) and I don't want to be stuck with a defective unit.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've only managed to get my Lumia to connect to the PC once. Every other time it knows the phone is plugged in but can't access the phone. The device manager claims there's a driver error, but I haven't been able to find a solution.

If you drain your battery thoroughly it's not going to be able to power up immediately after being plugged in. It's normal and I've experienced it with other devices. Better to avoid draining the battery completely if you want to get good life out of it.

As for battery life, it's perfectly normal to experience decreased life early on. It takes some time for the battery to be conditioned, but once it is things will improve dramatically. I'd give it at least a couple of weeks. But excessive battery drain is normal during gaming, regardless of whether it's an iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 or a Lumia 920. The CPU/GPU warming up during gaming is also perfectly normal, and again, relatively common amongst most devices.

The gist is that your phone is not defective. You've had it a day. Be patient.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
If you drain your battery thoroughly it's not going to be able to power up immediately after being plugged in. It's normal and I've experienced it with other devices. Better to avoid draining the battery completely if you want to get good life out of it.

As for battery life, it's perfectly normal to experience decreased life early on. It takes some time for the battery to be conditioned, but once it is things will improve dramatically. I'd give it at least a couple of weeks. But excessive battery drain is normal during gaming, regardless of whether it's an iPhone 5, Galaxy S3 or a Lumia 920. The CPU/GPU warming up during gaming is also perfectly normal, and again, relatively common amongst most devices.

The gist is that your phone is not defective. You've had it a day. Be patient.

Actually, I had left it on the charger for over 30 minutes this time and it still didn't power on. And when I tried to turn it on, it just gave me the low battery warning flashing on the screen. I did another soft reset and it booted up again and showed about 14% battery. If this is normal behavior, then this is really, really weird.

Also, none of my PCs even react to the phone, which is a bummer since I got this device for development purposes, and I need it to connect to Visual Studio.

dermotw

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I use my 920 with win 8 pro laptop & it detects it ok BUT I did notice that for some reason, with some USB leads, it didn't 'see' it(?) -In the end I used an actual Nokia USB lead which I happened to have anyway, and it always gets detected now, even without that desktop app. Why the lead would matter I can't really see but it did for me!

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Reboot the phone with it plugged into the PC. It worked for me on both my desktop and surface pro.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
^^^
I tried both above suggestions. I have tried two different cables and tried to reboot the phone while plugged in to the computer. Nothing works apparently. I beginning to wonder if this unit is indeed defective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)