Does navigation suck or am I too stupid?

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not even sure this is the right forum, so apologies in advance if not.
I had a Lumia 820 and gave it away, because of navigation troubles, besides other issues.
Now I bought a 920 and hoped it's going to be better in this field. However, I could not make this work either.

I want to use Nokia Maps as a pedestrian - to give me walking directions when visiting other cities.
Maps were downloaded to the phone. GPS etc. everything is active.
So, in order to get used to it before travelling and relying to it, I went to places in my home city, where I know literally every corner. I started maps. My location was found in just a few secnonds.
I chose route planner and entered an address that was just a few blocks away - and known by me, so I knew how to get there. Walking navigation was selected. Then I klicked "start navigation".

Well, it proposed a route which was correct, however, the map on the phone NEVER pointed into the right direction, not even close. Sometimes the little compass showed in the left upper corner, pointing northwards, sometimes not. When I klicked the compass, the map got turned northwards (as if using a paper map). Sometimes the compass disappeared and never showed up again.
The directions told me to carry on walking for hundred meters and then to turn left when I knew I had to walk into the opposite direction and then turn right.

I tried this several times at different places. And with both the 820 and the 920. Of course I was outside and not under a roof or so. I think it's highly unlikely that both devices were defective.

I remember the older versions of Nokia maps, running on older Symbian devices, and that was phantastic. I could even hold the phone in my hand when taking a walk and a few steps before a crossing it vibrated an told me to run right if I had to. I didn't even have to take care of holding the phone in a certain way, it was all adjusted by the SW.

So I'm asking you guys, am I just too silly to make proper use of this? Or does this WP8 implementation simply suck?
AllI know is, that in a foreign city, I would be COMPLETELY lost, if having to rely on this.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've never used nokia drive or maps for walking. I have used the old 7.5 Bing maps and that worked just great. Likewise I've never had a problem using nokia maps or drive when in the car. Sorry...

The only related problem I've had was when on vaca in NYC last summer, my L900 kept thinking I was in Dayton Ohio. I would be able to fix it by stepping away from the buildings, but it was a little annoying and my wife and daughter (both with iphones) gave me a little grief.

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I really get you mate, I am really disappointed with Here maps on WP8. Compass feature is essential for walking navigation and I enjoyed the experience on my C7 which I had used abroad in a few countries. This app really sucks, it is poorly designed and made. It lacks features and buggy. Places button is useless, all it does is brings about clutter of different categories. I hope they will sort this out.

Bhanu Prasad

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
i too observed same the reason i bought lumia instead of some android was nokia maps my n8 saved my back many times with accurate direction and working compass but 920 compass doesn't seems to work well though navigation is working it doesn't meet my expectations :(

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I think what they have done is have redesigned the wheel. They should not have touched the basics, like a compass or search places of different categories.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea