Has Nokia fixed the vibrate/vibrating rattle/rattling problem for anyone?

intgom

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Sent my Lumia 920 to Nokia Care a few weeks ago to get the vibrating rattle sorted and just received it back with rattle fully intact. No explanation or note as to what the engineer did (or didn't do) and I am obviously disappointed.

For those who have this problem, have you actually managed to get it sorted?

There's so much evidence to suggest it's a build problem, e.g. pressing gently on both top corners of phone makes it go away. Even the guys at What Hifi noticed the problem on their sample unit when doing their review:

While first impressions of the unibody build are positive, over time we notice not only some flex on the top side of our review sample but also a rattling of the overall casing when the phone vibrates. This seems to be a wider issue according to reports online, so it?s worth keeping an eye on.​

Nokia Lumia 920 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I must have got lucky because mine does not have this issue. I have a couple friends that are planning to pick up a 920. I will check there's out when they get them.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I got my 920 last week from Rogers Canada and it made the rattling sound...but since i just got it, they were able to send me a replacement. The replacement does sound like it's ok but i dunno if i'm just paranoid abt it now or what and always second-guessing whether the vibrating sound is normal or not..

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Some people have said that newer devices or replacement devices don't have the same vibration or rattle when the phone is vibrating so if you have this problem you could always try to get a replacement and see if that fixes it for you. There are some videos on youtube that seem to show the device having a severe rattle to the point that it's starting to sound completely unhealthy and bordering on sounding like it's harming the device - these are the phone I'd say you need to try to replace. If your rattle is like mine and there's only a slight noise or rattle compared to vibration on another phone I wouldn't say that'd be a manufacturing defect. You have to bear in mind that the Lumia 920's have their camera assembly mounted on small springs (Optical Image Stabilisation), which will add a little bit of a rattle.

intgom

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the OIS camera mechanism does rattle a little bit, which is fine and absolutely acceptable. What is not acceptable in my opinion is a rattle that makes the Lumia 920 sound more like a pinball machine than a smartphone when it vibrates. Half expecting to see a 'tilt' message pop up when it happens :shocked:

Histrionics aside, I am concerned that Nokia might be burying their head in the sand with this issue, knowing full well that initial builds were faulty / had a design flaw. Even just an admission to this effect would make me feel better :straight:

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I dunno if this is anyone's issue but yesterday the ear piece didn't have any sounds coming out...not sure if it was a result of the rattling or not...but i didn't care for it too much since i was getting my replacement phone..

intgom

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Nokia have now replied to me saying that the rattle is normal/by design, which I find incredible. I will translate that to mean a design flaw that they don't know how to fix! Really regret buying this device.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's a problem with all Lumia 920s. The main camera uses a floating lens. If you've ever used a camcorder with image stabilization you'll experience a similar problem. I can't use it in my car because vehicle vibration transfers to the camcorder. On the camera's microphone you can actually hear the lens bouncing against the housing. It happens less with stabilization deactivated but still occurs too frequently. So the Lumia is experiencing something similar.

Not only that, but from the tear down of our phone it seems many of the internal components are not screwed in place, but are sandwiched between other components. All this could translate into enough play to cause rattles. The only way to fix all this is to redesign the phone and ditch the image stabilization.

intgom

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have watched the tear-down and understand (and accept) that the camera will rattle. What I am experiencing is something more than this. For example, when I gently press together both top corners of the phone, the rattling stops and all I can then hear is the OIS mechanism moving - as expected.

It may be by design, but if so then the design is flawed. This doesn't explain, however, why only some people have this problem. Are the internal components screwed/glued/clipped together more tightly on some phones than others? Is there a difference between phones manufactured at different times in different batches? I don't know and I shouldn't need to know - I should be getting on with using the phone as it was intended. Rant, rant, rant....

Daniel Sackett

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I actually went through 2 phones settling on my current 920, it had the rattling vibrations as well and I tried as hard as I could to the techs at at&t lol, they all told me it was the normal sound. We (920) owners know that it is for sure not supposed to sound like this. I was prompted the other day to update my phone, and i did as any normal person would. I have actually found no data to back up my experience but it honestly stopped the violent vibrations after the update. Any one else have any similar results?

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I actually went through 2 phones settling on my current 920, it had the rattling vibrations as well and I tried as hard as I could to the techs at at&t lol, they all told me it was the normal sound. We (920) owners know that it is for sure not supposed to sound like this. I was prompted the other day to update my phone, and i did as any normal person would. I have actually found no data to back up my experience but it honestly stopped the violent vibrations after the update. Any one else have any similar results?

i have read other posts as well saying their rattling issue was fixed by the latest firmware

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I just flashed the uk newest firmware (the one that allows storage check) and the vibration works much better, no more rattling

Andy_McG84

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what happened to me, since updating to the new firmware today my phone doesnt rattle when it vibrates anymore! Yay!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serdezdezen