Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mrdeezus
  • 2 Post By luv2skipow
  • 1 Post By Huime

I finally got my Lumia 920 and love it even more than I know I would. I hike a lot. Is there a good navigation/ mapping app that can be used offline in the woods? I know Nokia Maps and Drive include offline maps but they are geared toward driving. The trails I hike are not on national parks so the National Parks map does nothing for me.

Adding a spot to favorites in GPS calculator pro stores some area around that spot offline. I imagine it's not quite what you're looking for, but check it out.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

Don't really like that one but I do appreciate the suggestion. Thanks.

The one I found early on is 'gps calculator'. You can use it to import gpx tracks via skydrive, which it will then overlay on the offline maps. You can also record tracks and save those to skydrive. He should really rename it to 'gps toolbox' or something though.. The UI is cluttered, the tile is super ugly, but hey, it works. If you try it leave a review so the guy can keep developing it.
    Store link: GPS Calculator PRO | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Don't really like GPS Calculator but I do appreciate the suggestion. Thanks.

I use an app called "A route tracker". It only uses GPS and you can recored your routes and play them back as well as use them as an overlay. Check it out I think you will like it. Its like your own map maker. I do a lot of hiking and I like the fact that it doesn't need a data connection to record.
    minton227 and Nabkawe5 like this.

Just get a Garmin so that you don't die when you run out of battery power.
    Napocensis and realwarder like this.

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    maaloo Geocaching | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    this app touts offline maps and is made for hiking too (though only one review :S)

if you are willing to, you can use the Here Map map creator to create your own custom map and then sync to your phone via nokia account.
    Nabkawe5 likes this.

You can use outdoor navigation from windows store, by which is possible to download the map of area of interest, from google maps, bing maps, yahoo maps or open maps, or nokia maps, and navigate as you wish.

Outdoor Navigation for Windows Phone 7

Indeed, you may be able to squeeze 2 hours out of it, after that you are on your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2skipow View Post
    Just get a Garmin so that you don't die when you run out of battery power.

I think, maaloo geocaching works best so far. I've tried outdoor Navigation, but felt more comfortable with maaloo. Less stability issues than the other alternative.

Which offline map do you use for hiking on maaloo? I just downloaded the Hike (open street map).

I also use the osm ones, except for some remote locations in the alps. Therefore I use the built-in possibility of custom maps.
    In the new version of maaloo geocaching, here maps is an additional option. Hope it'll reach maaloo outdoor soon.

Hike Blackbox for Windows Phone seems a good app for orienteering using the compass and offline maps.

Hi, NaviComputer app seems to be the one you're looking for.
    I'm using it for my hiking and it allows to download offline maps from 4 different providers: MapQuest OSM, MapQuest Aerial, 4UMaps and HikeBikeMaps.
    Thanked by:

I use Outdoor Navigation. The limitation is that most of the "Google Map Terrain" maps do not contain trails and I'd like to be able to zoon in closer. I get 6 to 8 hours out of the battery but I am not constantly looking at the map on the screen. I am using the same phone with the map app running in the background to take plenty of pictures and I still get 6 to 8 hours battery time. I carry and external battery charger which doesn't weigh too much especially considering the phone takes the place of 4 different devices: phone, gps, camera and tunes. I usually charge the phone while I stop and eat lunch even though I know the phone will last 6 to 8 hours without the charge. My hikes are often longer than that. Outdoor Navigation would have it completely nailed if they provided support to download T4 Topo High maps. Then I wouldn't have to occasionally cross reference my GPS map with a real paper map that has the trails included. If there are other choices for a hiking GPS app I would sure like to also try those out.

Quote Originally Posted by pawelosk View Post
    Hi, NaviComputer app seems to be the one you're looking for.
    I'm using it for my hiking and it allows to download offline maps from 4 different providers: MapQuest OSM, MapQuest Aerial, 4UMaps and HikeBikeMaps.
    I'll give that one a try. It looks promising. Thanks.
    please keep us updated. im very curious as well.

In the UK I use OS Maps.
    Lumia 820 / Hudl tablet (Android) / Nokia 5800 (Symbian)