Wait for Catwalk or buy Lumia 920?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Buy a device for what it does today. If you wait for the next greatest thing you'll never upgrade. So just go in with the Lumia 920. I have one myself, a fantastic device.

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Think about it this way, you can get the Lumia 920 or wait until the Catwalk is announced probably sometime in May. Then wait another 3 months (maybe even more) for it come to the market. And by the time is comes it will already be old because they would unveiled another phone in September. Listen to Paladin and buy the product for what it is today.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Like anything with technology, you have to make the choice and buy something knowing it could be out of date within a week or month. If you keep waiting for the next big thing to come out, you'll never be able to actually purchase anything.

And as they said, it may be announced, but have a 3Q or 4Q availability date. If you like the 920, pull the trigger. If there's something that you don't like, and you're willing to wait, wait.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Catwalk will be a slightly lighter and thinner 920 (edit: +slightly improved GPU). If that seems worth waiting for, then wait, otherwise buy now.

Last edited:

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your "bind" is. If it is just that you are jonesin for a Nokia phone, then I'd wait. One, it teaches you patience and two, you'll be a much happier camper when the catwalk comes out.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Faced this same question 9 days ago. Made a decision, my 920 arrived 6 days ago, and I've been enjoying ever since.

I think I made the right choice! 😁

P.S. Waiting sucks
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want to wait then wait but you're going to wait forever as many have previously stated. The next big thing is always around the corner

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I refuse to go with ATT because the coverage around here is terrible. Verizon or Sprint is the only thing i can go with. Which ever one get's a flagship first I will buy, otherwise my HTC Arrive will do.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
as someone else said it depends on your situation. i don't agree with just getting it regardless. think about it this way. windows phone 9 comes out around holiday season so you know they're going to be updated devices. the reason i say wait (i'm assuming you can) is because it's going to be better (technology always improves), and because the 920 is near the end of it's life cycle. i like to compare this to the surface pro. i was going to buy it, but haswell comes out in summer, so i'm going to wait for a tablet with that chip because it's not only newer, but i'm guaranteed that architecture would remain the same for 2 years (intel changes architecture every 2 years). if you wait for the new nokia you'll be guaranteed it will be flagship for at least 6 months. oh by the way i bought my lumia 2 weeks ago so i do own the 920. it's in repair right now. i love it. the reason my advice is different from then what i did is because i plan on getting the new version as well. if you can do that then by all means get the 920 now :).

stevejansen4

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting fed up with this! I badly want a decent (non-brick like) Nokia phone. We have the HTC-One, Xperia Z, Iphone 5 and the S4 setting the standards. Nokia - please deliver the goods -fast! We want a thin phone, not too heavy and yes - microSD should be included for all other spec see above ..it should at least match those models. I want to upgrade from my Lumia 800 which I love, but the 920 doesn't cut it..

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting fed up with this! I badly want a decent (non-brick like) Nokia phone. We have the HTC-One, Xperia Z, Iphone 5 and the S4 setting the standards. Nokia - please deliver the goods -fast! We want a thin phone, not too heavy and yes - microSD should be included for all other spec see above ..it should at least match those models. I want to upgrade from my Lumia 800 which I love, but the 920 doesn't cut it..

Not all of us want thin, light phones, I really like the size and weight of my L920.

The HTC One doesn't have MicroSD. - Not setting standards.
The HTC One's "Ultrapixel" and low light performance is beyond laughable, it took them about 6 years to catch up to Nokia's 2.2 micron per pixel (correct me if I'm wrong, thanks) - Seriously not setting standards here at all.
THE HTC One & Xperia Z's 1080p display with a 2300mAh non removable battery - can I just say LOL? seriously.
The 4S I mean... GS4 non built in wireless charging but "if" carrier decides to and it'll cost you even extra monies - Not setting standards.
The GS4's "dual" camera is such a gimmick because they aren't able to develop the camera technology like Nokia has and will never be able to do it on their own. They'll reverse engineer and copy. Also their presentation of the "camera software" guess what, we already have all those - Not setting standards
The iPhone 5's "retina" display with LTE enabled on a and I quote this 1440 mAh non removable battery - No setting standards at all.

All in all Nokia's set the bar pretty high for other OEM's in the Camera department. It's going to take a while before anyone can actually catch up to Nokia's 41MP Pureview. Let's face it here, all phones will have the same specs eventually, all phones will have these amounts of cores, these amounts of rams, these amounts of ppi but will the battery support it, hells no! Now having your R&D department concentrate on Camera technology, Battery Life (by not just amping up the amp-page), the Flexible screens now those things would be setting standards.

Also about the bricked phones, guess what, nothing is perfect, you'll be unlucky to get a lemon but that's how the world of technology is and at least you can easily fix it. There are always 100 - 1 people that are always complaining about anything and everything even it's 100% perfect. And let me tell you something about all these other flagship phones as I do work in a private cell phone store, guess what. They all got problems that the 920 has cause I hear complaints and problems all the time, even weight. Here's an example of that weight issue with lighter phones.

C - "oh it's so light, it slips out of my hand so easily and my screen breaks. I am sad faced now :<"
Me - "Sorry to hear that, sad faced for you"
C - "How much is it to fix it"
Me- "Oh about $350+ since it's a new phone."
C - "Oh noooooo, end of the world for me, even sadder faced."

Anyway I'm going to go pet my cat now because he's super fuzzy!!!

2011-07-29 23-28-04.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99