Phone loses connection when dormant. Please help.

pval28

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. It's a completely unacceptable situation as the device is not capable of functioning as a phone if it cant receive calls reliably. Toggling airplane mode, making calls and soft resets help wake the cellular modem up but that's only a temporary fix. I would like to try and force the 3g only option if that fixes the issue but it seems I can't do that after the latest update. Having the data connection on doesn't help. Phone is right in front of me showing 3 bars but it goes straight to voicemail if I call it.
Is this even a defective piece or is the problem more to do with my location and signal.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. It's a completely unacceptable situation as the device is not capable of functioning as a phone if it cant receive calls reliably. Toggling airplane mode, making calls and soft resets help wake the cellular modem up but that's only a temporary fix. I would like to try and force the 3g only option if that fixes the issue but it seems I can't do that after the latest update. Having the data connection on doesn't help. Phone is right in front of me showing 3 bars but it goes straight to voicemail if I call it.
Is this even a defective piece or is the problem more to do with my location and signal.

That's a good point. The signal strength shown on your phone tells you that you have a connection with a cell tower, but does not tell you whether or not that tower is currently capable of routing a call to you. So if the tower is busy, anyone calling you will get diverted to your voicemail.

pval28

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with the tower being busy. There are other phones in the apartment connected to the same network that work just fine. I think its more to do with the antenna / radio on the Lumia 920. I have noticed that this bug manifests itself with a different frequency after the latest update.
After browsing around for a bit it also seems like it might be a Windows phone 8 issue and not just a Nokia issue:
Not getting texts or calls until I make a call or send a text - Microsoft Community
HTC 8X not receiving all texts Support | T-Mobile
If this is the case then it is interesting how only a certain percentage of users are affected. Right now I wouldn't mind setting the phone to 2G as that apparently fixes the problem. Anyone solved this problem by doing a warranty exchange for a new device?

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the new update and ##3282 does not seem to work any longer. It just tries to make a call to that number :(

I been able to change it to 3g (AKA 4g) by going to Settings -> Access Point, there are 3 options ATT 3G, ATT LTE 1, ATT LTE 2, I just selected the 3g AP and its been connecting to only 3g/4g, I noticed that signal still drops (issue with the 1308 firmware) but at least you'll have better life on battery.

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Data now barely works... Either doesn't work or very slow (0.3 Mbps) under LTE. I'm also missing calls and texts. Sometimes the phone just says no network.

This is truly unacceptable. At&T and Nokia, what is going on? I called AT&T tech support and they renewed my phones registration and said everything looks good from their perspective. However, none of my problems have been solved.

Eye Doc

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
This issue has resurfaced starting a few days ago. The last Nokia update seemed to have fixed it, but now my phone is losing connection once again. What the heck is going on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05