Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Hi all,

    I have an AT&T-branded Lumia 920. As background info, I keep my data and wi-fi connections off until I need them.

    I've been having an issue for the past two months or so whereby my phone loses connection after being dormant for some time. I can't say what the threshold after which it loses connection is with any certainty, but I would estimate it to be around one hour. Once it loses connection, I do not receive any text messages, calls, or voicemails until I attempt to send a message or make a call. During this time of dormancy, the phone always shows three signal bars. However, when I make a call or send a text message the signal bar immediately flashes the no signal symbol and then updates to the real current signal strength. A few minutes later I get a barrage of text messages that had been sent to me during the period of dormancy but that I didn't receive until I manually reestablish connection (the texts list the timestamp from when they were sent). However, I do not receive notifications of missed calls (though I do get voicemails that were left, if I check for them).

    This issue happens every day, without fail, and has resulted in me missing important text messages and calls. A month ago I contacted AT&T tech support, and they told me the registration for my phone in their system looked "weird" and then proceeded to re-register my phone. This did not solve my problem.

    Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.
  2. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Does the problem persist if you leave your mobile data switched on?

    It would also help to know which firmware version you currently have - go to settings > about > more information and tell us what it says for Firmware revision number and Radio software version.
  3. BobR1908's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    The only connection issue I have observed with mine is sometimes I lost my data connection after it is dormant for a period of time or while it is charging. This has never affected my calls or texts but has FB notifications, browsing pages, etc. I have learned to get this back by simply opening my browswer going into "tabs" and closing out the active tab there and then relaunching my browser. Once I do that I no longer get page cannot be displayed and my browser and other internet connections come back.
  4. rockstarzzz's Avatar

    Posts
    4,883 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,888 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Settings - cellular/mobile data - Highest connection speed- 3g or 4g?
  5. nlcbryan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I have the same problem and restart of the phone will help (sometimes do a soft reset by pressing volume down + power for ten sec, soft rest does make it happens less frequently). Change your connection speed to 3G as highest.

    This problem happens more frequently when you are in a lower reception area that jumps between 2G to 3G or 4G.

    I would like to see Nokia/MS fixing this problem. Because it is really annoying..
  6. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post
    Does the problem persist if you leave your mobile data switched on?

    It would also help to know which firmware version you currently have - go to settings > about > more information and tell us what it says for Firmware revision number and Radio software version.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if having the data switched on solves the problem; I think it might. However, I don't want to have to leave that on all the time so as to conserve battery.

    Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.0001
    Radio software version: 1.0.202075.3

    I don't seem to have a settings page where I can change my highest connection speed. My "cellular" setting page only has data connection on/off and roam/don't roam options. I do have an access point setting page which seems to have "AT&T - LTE 2 - Lumia" as active.

    Restarting my phone has had no effect, but I do think that this problem only occurs in places where the signal strength is less than ideal (i.e. my home).
  7. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Doc View Post
    Restarting my phone has had no effect
    Do you mean that restarting your phone doesn't get your connection working again? Or just that restarting your phone doesn't stop the connection dropping out again after an hour?

    Assuming it's the latter, can you do the following:

    Dial ##3282 [call]
    In the field test menu, select LTE and note the contents of the display
    Use the back key to exit
    Wait for the phone to "die" and repeat the attached
    Post both sets of results up here.

    What I am wondering is if the combination of low signal strength and the phone's various power saving modes is causing either the phone or your nearest cell tower to drop the link. Hopefully the diags will show this. If so, I think this is resolved in the 1308 firmware.
    Eye Doc likes this.
  8. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #8  
    Yes, I meant the latter.

    The first two screenshots are from when my phone was functioning normally:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130326_0003.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	31202 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130326_0004.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	31203

    This from a period where my phone is dormant and not responding:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130326_0005.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	31204

    This is immediately after when I sent a text message to re-establish connection:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20130326_0007.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	31205
  9. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Ok, that's helpful insofar as it rules out my theory that the radio is going to sleep because of a marginal signal and ENS being enabled. There's plenty of signal (in LTE terms). You are running on the merged Cingular/AT&T network.

    As the 1308 firmware is now being rolled out for AT&T customers I'd be tempted to wait for that before going any further.
    Eye Doc likes this.
  10. pinoyrepn1124's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by markfive View Post
    Do you mean that restarting your phone doesn't get your connection working again? Or just that restarting your phone doesn't stop the connection dropping out again after an hour?

    Assuming it's the latter, can you do the following:

    Dial ##3282 [call]
    In the field test menu, select LTE and note the contents of the display
    Use the back key to exit
    Wait for the phone to "die" and repeat the attached
    Post both sets of results up here.

    What I am wondering is if the combination of low signal strength and the phone's various power saving modes is causing either the phone or your nearest cell tower to drop the link. Hopefully the diags will show this. If so, I think this is resolved in the 1308 firmware.
    I downloaded the new update and ##3282 does not seem to work any longer. It just tries to make a call to that number :(
  11. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyrepn1124 View Post
    I downloaded the new update and ##3282 does not seem to work any longer. It just tries to make a call to that number :(
    same here, I been trying to figure this out.
  12. dkp23's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,494 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,529 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    One of my previous 920s had a similar issue. When put to sleep, the phone had trouble staying connected to the signal. So it would drain the battery like crazy. When i woke up the phone, i see the signal bar change to the no signal icon and then wait a bit and then increases from 1 to 3 or 4 bars thereafter. If i put the phone to sleep again, i wake it up, same thing.

    At this point, not sure why you waited two months to do anything, if your phone does not work properly do a warranty exchange. Dont try to fix a broken phone, return a broken phone. Im on my 4th 920, i dont care what it is, if it doesnt work right, im not troubleshooting, im exchanging it.

    I suggest you do the same instead of trying to fix a broken phone.

    If you exchange your phone and it still happens, then its probably not your phone, its your area.
  13. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    In that case I guess AT&T have had it disabled... it's still present in the version I have (CV UK)
  14. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #14  
    Yes, I updated to 1308, and the ##3282 portal no longer works. However, I would like to note that the radio software has also been updated. I do not know as of yet if this will solve the connection issue I have been having, but I will see if it does and reply to this thread accordingly.

    To dkp23, I purchased my 920 from Walmart back when they were free there. Exchanging it there would be difficult at best, but I'll see what happens.
  15. pinoyrepn1124's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Doc View Post
    Yes, I updated to 1308, and the ##3282 portal no longer works. However, I would like to note that the radio software has also been updated. I do not know as of yet if this will solve the connection issue I have been having, but I will see if it does and reply to this thread accordingly.

    To dkp23, I purchased my 920 from Walmart back when they were free there. Exchanging it there would be difficult at best, but I'll see what happens.
    Ok this is a problem cuz I had mine set to 3g in order to save battery life and now I cant switch back to get LTE . . Please post if anyone finds a workaround . . I would like to have LTE back :(
  16. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #16  
    Just an update: I've not had any connection problems since the update. It may have solved the issue.
  17. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Doc View Post
    Just an update: I've not had any connection problems since the update. It may have solved the issue.
    That would be good news, let's hope that is the case
  18. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyrepn1124 View Post
    Ok this is a problem cuz I had mine set to 3g in order to save battery life and now I cant switch back to get LTE . . Please post if anyone finds a workaround . . I would like to have LTE back :(
    Probably your only choice would be to flash a non-AT&T version of the ROM, use ##3282 to set LTE back on and then flash the AT&T version back again.
  19. tcman88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    359 Posts
    Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Doc View Post
    Hi all,

    I have an AT&T-branded Lumia 920. As background info, I keep my data and wi-fi connections off until I need them.

    I've been having an issue for the past two months or so whereby my phone loses connection after being dormant for some time. I can't say what the threshold after which it loses connection is with any certainty, but I would estimate it to be around one hour. Once it loses connection, I do not receive any text messages, calls, or voicemails until I attempt to send a message or make a call. During this time of dormancy, the phone always shows three signal bars. However, when I make a call or send a text message the signal bar immediately flashes the no signal symbol and then updates to the real current signal strength. A few minutes later I get a barrage of text messages that had been sent to me during the period of dormancy but that I didn't receive until I manually reestablish connection (the texts list the timestamp from when they were sent). However, I do not receive notifications of missed calls (though I do get voicemails that were left, if I check for them).

    This issue happens every day, without fail, and has resulted in me missing important text messages and calls. A month ago I contacted AT&T tech support, and they told me the registration for my phone in their system looked "weird" and then proceeded to re-register my phone. This did not solve my problem.

    Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.
    I have the same issue as well. What I do is I turn on/off the airplane mode and that resets the connections for me. I always thought it was ATT bad service as i've been a verizon user untill L920. so I guess it's my nokia not att
  20. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    After a few more days of testing, it has become apparent that the firmware update in fact did not solve the dormant connection issue. How deflating.
  21. pval28's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    I have the same issue. It's a completely unacceptable situation as the device is not capable of functioning as a phone if it cant receive calls reliably. Toggling airplane mode, making calls and soft resets help wake the cellular modem up but that's only a temporary fix. I would like to try and force the 3g only option if that fixes the issue but it seems I can't do that after the latest update. Having the data connection on doesn't help. Phone is right in front of me showing 3 bars but it goes straight to voicemail if I call it.
    Is this even a defective piece or is the problem more to do with my location and signal.
  22. markfive's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    384 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by pval28 View Post
    I have the same issue. It's a completely unacceptable situation as the device is not capable of functioning as a phone if it cant receive calls reliably. Toggling airplane mode, making calls and soft resets help wake the cellular modem up but that's only a temporary fix. I would like to try and force the 3g only option if that fixes the issue but it seems I can't do that after the latest update. Having the data connection on doesn't help. Phone is right in front of me showing 3 bars but it goes straight to voicemail if I call it.
    Is this even a defective piece or is the problem more to do with my location and signal.
    That's a good point. The signal strength shown on your phone tells you that you have a connection with a cell tower, but does not tell you whether or not that tower is currently capable of routing a call to you. So if the tower is busy, anyone calling you will get diverted to your voicemail.
  23. pval28's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    I don't think it has anything to do with the tower being busy. There are other phones in the apartment connected to the same network that work just fine. I think its more to do with the antenna / radio on the Lumia 920. I have noticed that this bug manifests itself with a different frequency after the latest update.
    After browsing around for a bit it also seems like it might be a Windows phone 8 issue and not just a Nokia issue:
    Not getting texts or calls until I make a call or send a text - Microsoft Community
    HTC 8X not receiving all texts Support | T-Mobile
    If this is the case then it is interesting how only a certain percentage of users are affected. Right now I wouldn't mind setting the phone to 2G as that apparently fixes the problem. Anyone solved this problem by doing a warranty exchange for a new device?
  24. revfast's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyrepn1124 View Post
    I downloaded the new update and ##3282 does not seem to work any longer. It just tries to make a call to that number :(
    I been able to change it to 3g (AKA 4g) by going to Settings -> Access Point, there are 3 options ATT 3G, ATT LTE 1, ATT LTE 2, I just selected the 3g AP and its been connecting to only 3g/4g, I noticed that signal still drops (issue with the 1308 firmware) but at least you'll have better life on battery.
  25. Eye Doc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    16 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #25  
    Data now barely works... Either doesn't work or very slow (0.3 Mbps) under LTE. I'm also missing calls and texts. Sometimes the phone just says no network.

    This is truly unacceptable. At&T and Nokia, what is going on? I called AT&T tech support and they renewed my phones registration and said everything looks good from their perspective. However, none of my problems have been solved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LTE Connectivity Problem - 900 (PLEASE HELP)
    By crg28 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM
  2. Dialling from Phone through PC when connected?
    By tomcott in forum HTC HD 7 / 7s
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 05:57 AM
  3. please help me, my phone is unusable
    By tuffluck in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions