T-mobile LTE Speedtest, Black Rogers Lumia 920, Euro-Dev 1308 Firmware

espressobar

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
My phone is an unlocked, Black, Rogers Lumia 920 flashed with the Euro-Dev RM-821 firmware version "1308"
  • 25 March 2013
  • Speedtest.net Application
  • Washington DC
  • Ping 67
  • Download 18.80
  • Upload 4.73
  • "L" shown instead of H+

I hit over 22mbps up and over 12mbps down during the test and have confirmed speeds well beyond H+ testing from a week ago.
Finally, T-Mobile LTE in the Washington DC area

UPDATE: I received some Nokia application updates which caused LTE to no longer work with the default T-Mobile APN or the IPv6 APN. I have updated the APN to the fast.t-mobile.com APN and am happy to report the following speeds using T-Mobile LTE:

• Ping 70
  • Download 23.86 Mbps
  • Upload 10.20 Mbps

Last edited:

jrjr488

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. One of my questions was if Euro-Dev RM-821 would get LTE on T-Mobile. It's good to know. Did you have to add an extra APN setting for LTE?

espressobar

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
No changes at all. Simply using the defaults.
Also, and likely worth noting.. I was having the power off issues with Portico (phone locking up/black screen/hard reset) and all have been resolved with the 1308 firmware.

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
This is good news, but confusing. According to all the other threads I can find, flashing RM-821 firmware to RM-820 essentially disables LTE. Yours would be the first and only report I can find where an RM-820 (Rogers 920) gets flashed with RM-821 (euro dev) firmware and keeps its (north american) LTE bands.

I've also got a black Rogers 920, but I'm using it on Wind Mobile (AWS 3G / no LTE). So I'm tempted to flash the latest RM-821 firmware, but I don't want to permanently lose any functionality that I might want in the future.

espressobar

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I can only report what I've observed. Regarding hardware and firmware, I've only flashed the RM-821 Euro-Dev version, nothing else aside from the Rogers Portico and Rogers 1308 firmware. I've only read speculation about AT&T RM-820 models potentially having differing hardware (probably less likely) or intentional disablement of the 1700mhz capability (possibly via firmware, and probably more likely due to mass production of RM-820 hardware) of the radio to keep customers away from GSM compeitors like T-Mobile USA. IMO, and if true, this is is the same set of tactics/unfortunate methods of increasing revenue that AT&T(and others overseas) are using on their customers to force them to pay additional fees for "services" like international roaming due to having simlocked phones.

Regarding flashing, it's your decision. I simply wanted hardware from Nokia, software from the vendor (be it Symbian, Meego, or WP8), and connectivity from the carrier. I'm adamantly opposed to carriers modifying the handset that the customer pays for either full price up front, or over 12-36 months at a 200% premium through so called subsidies. Rogers didn't seem to be so bad but having to remove all of their apps and be reminded that I had to purchase the phone from Canada, with no warranty, every time the phone booted up was enough for me to give it a try. I'm enjoying it, the phone is stable, data speeds are very good, and are verified to be faster via LTE "L" that I was getting via HSPA+ "H+". Finally, I'm receiving a steady stream of updates via the Store application for all of my purchased apps as well as Nokia system apps; all is good here.

You can always put the phone into test/engineering mode to see what frequencies it's using. I observed 1700mhz "AWS" usage when I first purchased the phone. This was important to me since T-Mobile refarmed some of the 1900mhz spectrum.

Regards

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, of course. Thank you for the info. So it sounds like you went to the latest Rogers ROM (1308) just like I did. Then you forced the Euro Dev 1308 on top of that?

Another possible theory is that earlier Euro Dev ROMS might have disabled North American LTE bands, but the 1308 might leave them alone. Based on your experience alone, I am willing to follow in your footsteps. After all, WIND doesn't have LTE anyway, and the current 3G data stability over AWS using the Rogers ROM leaves something to be desired. I'd rather have the benefit of AutoDataConfig in a debranded ROM, just in case Nokia's "Access Point" app is slightly off the mark with its APN settings.

Will report back with results - just downloading the euro dev 1308 through Navifirm now.

EDIT: followed http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2112674 to get the euro dev 1308 - still seemed to need "Access Point" to get data going on WIND, but will try to use test mode to confirm what LTE bands remain available.

Last edited:

DyeLongJustice

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Can you please please please share your APN settings? I have a developer lumia 920 (that bricked) on the Euro-Dev Rom. I get the "L" symbol for LTE as well, but it won't connect to data. I think it's because I don't have the "fast.t-mobile.com" apn setting, but every time I try to enter just that setting for an APN, it want's a proxy, etc.

Also, do you notice any difference from the portico rom to the 1308 rom (minus the stability)? I hear that the 1308 rom has connectivity issues, at least for ATT, which they are updating again to 1314. Thanks!

DyeLongJustice

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Edit: I figured out the fast.tmobile.com APN, but when I use that, I get data and no MMS. When I input the mmsc address, it says "only latin characters allowed", which is due to the "-" in t-mobile. Any workaround for this?

ka84

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have the portico version of the same rom , so I was wondering if tethering works with your custom apn setting ?

Last edited:

cellneuron

Aug 26, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately most people here may still use ATT version lumia 920, which has AWS disabled. Firmware will not enable AWS in ATT version. We need lower level tools.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, of course. Thank you for the info. So it sounds like you went to the latest Rogers ROM (1308) just like I did. Then you forced the Euro Dev 1308 on top of that?

Another possible theory is that earlier Euro Dev ROMS might have disabled North American LTE bands, but the 1308 might leave them alone. Based on your experience alone, I am willing to follow in your footsteps. After all, WIND doesn't have LTE anyway, and the current 3G data stability over AWS using the Rogers ROM leaves something to be desired. I'd rather have the benefit of AutoDataConfig in a debranded ROM, just in case Nokia's "Access Point" app is slightly off the mark with its APN settings.

Will report back with results - just downloading the euro dev 1308 through Navifirm now.

EDIT: followed [FLASH] How to use NCS to change from RM-820 to RM-821 and vice versa - xda-developers to get the euro dev 1308 - still seemed to need "Access Point" to get data going on WIND, but will try to use test mode to confirm what LTE bands remain available.

Hi, can you give an update after the flash? I'm getting a Rogers 920 soon and wondered if this was a good route to take as I too would prefer an unbranded ROM. I dont need MMS but tethering is necessary. Also wonder if these ROM's are getting the latest firmware and app updates from Nokia. Thanks.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, can you give an update after the flash? I'm getting a Rogers 920 soon and wondered if this was a good route to take as I too would prefer an unbranded ROM. I dont need MMS but tethering is necessary. Also wonder if these ROM's are getting the latest firmware and app updates from Nokia. Thanks.

Doesn't Rogers version disable tethering? I think I read it somewhere. Can someone confirm?

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have a Rogers 920 SIM-unlocked. I flashed it to the Rogers 1308 ROM and had data drop issues on Wind Mobile Canada (AWS). Then I flashed the RM-821 EURO DEV 1308 ROM, same as the OP in this thread. I had exactly the same data problems, but at least the ROM was unbranded. All this meant was that I didn't have the Rogers boot screen, or any preinstalled apps.

Now that the Rogers 1314 ROM is available, I have flashed it, and my data problems are basically gone. I've removed all the Rogers-specific apps, Rogers-specific IE favourites, and disabled the Rogers-specific red theme. I still get the Rogers boot logo, but I only restart the phone once in a blue moon anyway. I think the EURO DEV rom has offered no real advantages to me - it has never been a newer version than the Rogers ROM, it has never seemed to be any faster, and ADC never seemed to work (I still needed Nokia Access Point to get data and tethering working). I wasn't able to test for LTE bands - I never figured out how to do that without data roaming onto Rogers or Bell, and I'm too cheap to do that ;)

Doesn't Rogers version disable tethering? I think I read it somewhere. Can someone confirm?
Using the Rogers 1314 ROM and with Nokia Access Point installed and applying APN settings for Wind Mobile Canada, my tethering works just fine. But I am SIM-unlocked.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the update, I guess flashing the dev rom isn't really worth it if there is no tangible benefit so I'll just stick with it when the phone arrives. Thanks again.

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
no it doesn't, just stay away from the access point app and you should be fine, if using on T-Mobile US

What's the problem with the access point app? Don't you need it to change the APN settings for T-Mobile US?
I asked because I'm going to get an unlocked Roger 920 to use on T-Mobile US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3