Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Just interested to know how many will move onto the next new Windows (or other platform) phone, and who will be sticking with the Lumia for the length of a contract? I've got mine til I can upgrade in December 2014. Don't see me shelling out for a new handset within my current contract. Although I will be jealous when the next one has a brilliant camera :P

AT&T allows an upgrade every 18 months. I'm very happy with AT&T and don't plan on moving so if the next big thing is out in 18m I will likely get it.

Unless its just the EOS with a high MP camera. I think the 920s camera is perfect for me.
    Camera Chick likes this.
    Sticking to my Lumia 920! Whatever the next one is, will have only incremental software changes, that I will see on Lumia 920 anyway! I'm more than happy with the camera and how the pikachu feels in my hands and pocket! I've sort of bonded and am into a relationship with this one, don't think I can break her heart ;)
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
    Thanked by:

As long as I don't destroy this phone I'm using it until 2014.
    Thanked by:

Yea! I've got to stay put until my contract is up December 2014. I'm very happy with my Nokia 920.
    Camera Chick likes this.
    For me, I'm happy to wait, but I usually take such good care of my phones that I can get a decent price selling them used. If the next big windows phone is incredibly alluring, I might take the bait.

The only other obstacle would be that I just bought a house and renovations are coming up. May not be able to justify spending for a new device.
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    2,523 Global Posts
    I'm not on a contract, but I stick with my phones until they've been in active use for 2 years, at which point I start considering a new phone (as in, I might wait a while like I did with this phone cos it wasnt available yet at the 2 year mark).
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    Tough call, I love my 920 but I'm a phone geek and need the latest so who knows
    Thanked by:
    Camera Chick likes this.

Here other with contract until december 2014. I think this is the best part of all, because in almost one year or more we can obtain a great upgrade with zero cost ^^
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    2,883 Global Posts
    Getting the next flagship Nokia if its a good improvement over the 920, even though I'm pretty happy with mine now. I like having the best device available and there's still so much we can expect from Nokia it will be hard to resist. I'll be breaking my at&t contract sometime soon and switching back to Tmobile for their unlimited plan and now LTE goodness!
    Camera Chick likes this.

I will be keeping my Lumia 920, but will upgrade to the new OS when it hits....
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    I'm not on a contract. I'll be keeping this 920 for a few years.
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    I've a family plan with my wife and parents on there and they all have varying end of contracts. I will most definitely be upgrading my phone using one of the eligible lines and hand down my L920. I'm the only one who cares for a new phone every year, so its the perfect system! :)
    Camera Chick likes this.

I'm planning to collect all the colours of the rainbow
    Thanked by:

It depends on what will be the inovations and new features available on new flagship device. But, as I really love to have the latest and simply the best... I think that I will sell 920 and will buy the new KING. :)
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    I would like a thinner and lighter phone. Otherwise I am quite happy with the hardware. Hopefully Nokia will do this for the 930
    Thanked by:
    Camera Chick likes this.

I will move on if my boss keeps his promise of that three mo bonus, but looking at the Q1 report, I doubt my dream will come true.
    Camera Chick likes this.

I upgraded and bought the Lumia 900 when that came out back last year. I then bought the Lumia 920 off contract at full price. So I'm due for an upgrade later this year so I'm probably gonna get me a new phone. Hopefully Nokia and Microsoft launch something so crazy I can't resist. Cause if the iPhone 5S seems better I might have to get it. I really like getting all the new games when they come out and that's almost impossible with windows phone. Hopefully we can get games like real racing, infinity blade, and other major games at launch. I hate IOS but I love games and I love windows phone but the Xbox part of that is a joke and windows phone has been lacking in the gpu department.
    Camera Chick likes this.

I'm going to wait. I'm plenty happy with the camera in my 920 (and have my "big" camera for when that's not good enough). No other hardware spec would be compelling enough to trade up unless the new OS releases stop supporting current hardware (which they promised not to do). This is one of the reasons I stopped using Android - A flagship WP purchased on launch date _should_ in theory be good for the length of the contract. Maybe by late 2014, they'll have figured out how to get the 808's camera into a 920 form factor ;)
    Camera Chick likes this.

Sticking to my Lumia 920 for at least 2-3 years. I'm tempted however to buy the next Nexus if it's as cheap as the Nexus 4 and use it with the 920 in one year's time.
    Camera Chick likes this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivion17 View Post
    I upgraded and bought the Lumia 900 when that came out back last year. I then bought the Lumia 920 off contract at full price. So I'm due for an upgrade later this year so I'm probably gonna get me a new phone. Hopefully Nokia and Microsoft launch something so crazy I can't resist. Cause if the iPhone 5S seems better I might have to get it. I really like getting all the new games when they come out and that's almost impossible with windows phone. Hopefully we can get games like real racing, infinity blade, and other major games at launch. I hate IOS but I love games and I love windows phone but the Xbox part of that is a joke and windows phone has been lacking in the gpu department.
    I'm just hoping Nokia doesn't follow the path of iPhones by just adding minor features each year. Keep innovating, Nokia! Let's bring out the flexible screens you were touting late last year! Something new that I can be proud to show off!
    Camera Chick likes this.

I'll be keeping the 920 until my upgrade period is due. I highly doubt devices that come out this fall will blow it away that much, and it's more than powerful enough to handle things for another year. Sure it won't be top dog in 2014, but it's still a solid device and more than meets my needs.
    "Bro, you know I lift cause I use a Lumia 920..."
    Camera Chick likes this.

It all depends on what is released and where the technology is going. There are a few things that would have me jump the gun on an upgrade if they became available and useful:
    1) Some way to have a video output from my phone so that I can do PPT presentations, screen sharing, or play videos from my phone to a TV. I don't particularly care if it is a physical connection, or WiDi, or some form of AirPlay, I will find a way to make it work for me. This would be hugely useful for work and would be the last feature needed in order to fully replace my laptop.
    2) If a hardware upgrade is required in order to get Wallet to work for NFC payments from my bank acct then I will do it. This feature is so important to me that I will switch platforms if it is not in working order by the time my next upgrade comes around. My phone is much more secure than my cards or cash in my wallet that someone can just run off with and use simply because my phone has a password to use it, and another password to use the wallet functionality. I would be much more annoyed if my phone was stolen, but I am fairly sure that I could disable my phone faster than they could get into it and use it compared to cash and cards.
    3) If some monster games come out that I get addicted to, but require better hardware than I have, then I would upgrade. However, it would seem that most games are not that graphically intensive, and the games that are graphically intense tend not to lend themselves to being fun to play on a touch format, so I am fairly sure that this will not be a problem over the next 2 years.

All that said, when the contract is up and it becomes available to have new phones, then I will ditch my L920 at the drop of a hat. I love it and all, but I am sure there are going to be much more impressive phones by the end of 2014, and the whole point to paying a contract is to get that cheaper up front cost on new phones, so I intend to use that liberally.
    Camera Chick likes this.

I'll be holding on to my phone. It's a total waste of money to jump onto the next phone the instant it's released. It's not going to net anyone much of anything beyond the satisfaction of owning the latest phone. The way these cycles always go, regardless of platform, it will be 6 months to a year before anyone starts taking advantage of the new hardware anyway. In the meantime people will just complain that no one is supporting the new phone.

Still have a year and a half on 920 contract. Will have to see if the next is worth it. With WP8 I feel satisfied unlike when on Android you felt outdated and something new was much better. May go for the next flagship device if its an OS upgrade ahead and much better in camera.
    Camera Chick likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast