My 920 battery is slowly dying... while it's plugged in.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?

Ugggh. The battery sucks to begin with, the proximity sensory that turns the screen off when it's against your face is broken, the thing gets hotter than hades just sitting around playing Pandora or charging, and now this?

The batter level dropping... while it's plugged in?!?!!

This might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

:angry:

sorry. /rant

:cry:

l_n

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the charger that came with the phone or one you had lying around? Low current chargers won't charge the phone because the drain is greater than the current being provided by the charger.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah noticed this too - when plugged in via USB connected to cig lighter in car, the battery still drains slowly when running apps like Here Drive... Seems to be no way of keeping the phone charged whilst in the car (of you want to use it for sat nav etc..)

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the charger that came with the phone or one you had lying around? Low current chargers won't charge the phone because the drain is greater than the current being provided by the charger.

It's not the one that came with the phone, but it's one that I've been using for months without any issues at all. This charger typically charges the phone quickly and fully.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
If it is like this no matter what you do (reboots, maybe even after trying a full device hard reset) I would get it replaced. It sounds like a hardware issue. You should not have this many problems with the battery.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If it is like this no matter what you do (reboots, maybe even after trying a full device hard reset) I would get it replaced. It sounds like a hardware issue. You should not have this many problems with the battery.

trust me that's in the plans. Have full geek squad protection at best buy so i'll be paying them a visit. this will be the 2nd time I've had to use the plan in less than 6 months. Hey, at least I'm getting my money's worth :)

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to update on my post - I bought the DC20 Nokia usb charger and everything is now fine. Phone charges under heavy use. The old usb charger I was using was obviously rubbish and was not sending enough power to the phone - hence draining whilst on charge.

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is doing the same thing right now! It did it one day last week. I thought it was some kind of fluke, but then it did it again today. My charger at work is the one that came with it, and even after I restarted the phone, it slowly drained with it plugged in. I figured the battery app I'm using was messed up, so I erased it, but even in the Settings, it showed it draining. When I drove home, I had it plugged in my car the whole time, but it just kept dying. Right before I got home, it died on me, so as soon as I got in the house, I plugged it in the charger I have at home (not my wireless charger).
THIS IS WHERE THE WIERD PART HAPPENS:
I plugged it in, then it restarted and showed it charging and 9% on the battery. After ONLY 5 mins (I timed it), it said my battery was 100% FULL. Can someone please explain that to me? ;)

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Its a software bug. Call into your nearest Nokia care centre and have them take a look. Also, install a battery app that will monitor the battery status. That way you can keep an eye on it. If it does it again. Get it sent for repair or a replacement

MarkAllett

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My 920 is doing the same thing right now! It did it one day last week. I thought it was some kind of fluke, but then it did it again today. My charger at work is the one that came with it, and even after I restarted the phone, it slowly drained with it plugged in. I figured the battery app I'm using was messed up, so I erased it, but even in the Settings, it showed it draining. When I drove home, I had it plugged in my car the whole time, but it just kept dying. Right before I got home, it died on me, so as soon as I got in the house, I plugged it in the charger I have at home (not my wireless charger).
THIS IS WHERE THE WIERD PART HAPPENS:
I plugged it in, then it restarted and showed it charging and 9% on the battery. After ONLY 5 mins (I timed it), it said my battery was 100% FULL. Can someone please explain that to me? ;)

I had this kind of behaviour with a HTC Mozart. The phone was claiming 100% charge then went down to 10% after a single phone call, that kind of thing. The culprit was not the phone but a car charger I'd bought from eBay which turned out to be a counterfeit (it was supposed to be a Belkin one). It was confusing the phone somehow. As soon as I ditched the cheap charger, the phone behaved itself again.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
You need at least 1A, preferably 1.5A of power via USB to keep the phone charging when its under heavy load (GPS/data/Games)

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I've used the same chargers I've had since I got the phone, and have never had this problem. The charger at my work desk is the Nokia one that came in the box. My car charger is a cheap one (but has always worked fine), the one I plugged it in at home is to my daughter's Kindle (has always worked fine). I also have my wireless Nokia charging pad by my bed. After it was on there all night, when I grabbed my phone this morning, it only showed 75% charge. I got in the car, plugged it into the charger, then immediately it said 66%, so I took it off, and it has stayed on 66% since. Then, about 10 minutes ago, I looked, and it said 100%, but I haven't had it plugged in for over an hour now. So, I don't think it's my chargers. I'm calling Nokia to see what they say. I love my phone, but this is extremely irritating. I never had this problem until I did that Portico update.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your battery is loose. You need to vigorously shake the phone and it will be okay again. Sorry that you had to buy the worst phone in the market

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
So, I got ahold of Nokia Tuesday and they gave me some automated BS message that told me to do all these things anyone as smart as a monkey could do, and nothing worked. Then yesterday evening, my phone started updating again with the 1232.5962.1314.0001 version, so I figured YES, THIS WILL WORK!. Nope...... Oh well, I guess I'll try the hard reset next, and if that doesn't do it, I'm off to AT&T for a new phone.

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia is doing an awesome job with their phones right now. They've really come out hard where other companies are lagging, but I would really love to see this thing come to life. It has the beautifully, simplified look that everyone loves in the iPhone as well as the excellent OS of Microsoft. Now, if they can just get away from Apple saying they're copying them.
microsoft_surface_phone_by_yronimus-d54sho4.jpg

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, my phone decided to crap out on me today, so had to file a warranty replacement for it. Now, I gotta get used to using my old iPhone 4s for a couple days. Wow, I feel like I have giant hands!

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Got my new Lumia this last week, and the switchover was almost seamless. I'm a little disappointed though, because it seems that my battery life on this phone is not a whole lot better than the other one. Lastnight the phone was charged when I went to bed at 10pm, so I didn't put it on the charger throughout the night. When I got up this morning, it was on 18%! WTF! I really like my Lumia, but if something doesn't change soon, I may be looking at the new HTC One :straight:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium