Lumia 920: Screen Cracked

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rushing out the van today to get to the bank. Rain was falling, documents in hand, keys and umbrella. I put the keys in my pants pocket, but my brain thought it was my phone. My phone was in the other hand mixed up somewhere with the umbrella. When I opened the umbrella, up when my phone and it fell face first onto the rough, rugged road. My case went flying one direction, and lumia the other.

I did not even want to pick it up, because I knew what awaited me. Alas, the screen was damaged. The LCD is stil functioning, thank god. Just the digitizer is damaged. You can clearly see the point of impact (close to the edge of the screen, about half way down). The impact caused two lines, one going diagonally north, and one going diagonally south. It's not that deep. I don't feel it, but god, it is an eye sore.

I'm more concerned about a piece of the digitizer that has been chipped away; so there is a very fine hole there

I'm torn between replacing it. I spent 670CDN to buy this from rogers, and an additional 50CDN to unlock it. With an exchange rate of $6.32 to $1, this blows!

I saw the screen on ebay for about $150USD, I can most likely change it. I used to repair blackberries and I'm a tech by nature. The digitizer is about $46USD but that looks like ALOT of work to change.

Just need to decide how much of an eye sore it's going to be. Sigh.

I will note, that based on the conditions, and the manner in which it fell, I am impressed that my phone is still fully functional. I'm sure if I had an S3 or an iPhone 5, that would be the end of it.

kwambe5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Man I am sorry for you! I hate for that to happen to anyone. If I were you, I would replace it myself. You said you are techy, so be careful, and do it. I know I would. I have had my share of replacements, some good, mostly, one bad. I know there are some tear down videos floating around the web for reference that actually seem to be pretty good. Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
:( :(

On other topic... That rate you mentioned is from Canadian Dollars to what? Because I thought 1 Canadian Dollar = $0.98 US Dollars approximately.

carlcamera

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel for you. I am happy to report that

have combined to restore my cracked Lumia 920. The only difference is the absence of the AT&T Logo which I consider an improvement. Everything appears to be in working order! The glass+digitizer was shipped from China so there was a bit of a wait while it made its way stateside. Also, there is a 5% discount code mentioned on one of the Le55ons YouTube Lumia videos. That saved a couple bucks. I chose to get the glass+digitizer rather than try to fuse new glass onto the existing digitizer. I'm a patient person, but that seemed too much for me.

Cost: $132 screen + $12 Torx screwdriver = $144.

Before and After:

before-after-lumia-920.jpg

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I feel for you. I am happy to report that

have combined to restore my cracked Lumia 920. The only difference is the absence of the AT&T Logo which I consider an improvement. Everything appears to be in working order! The glass+digitizer was shipped from China so there was a bit of a wait while it made its way stateside. Also, there is a 5% discount code mentioned on one of the Le55ons YouTube Lumia videos. That saved a couple bucks. I chose to get the glass+digitizer rather than try to fuse new glass onto the existing digitizer. I'm a patient person, but that seemed too much for me.

Cost: $132 screen + $12 Torx screwdriver = $144.

Before:
https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror
After: https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Thanks. This is most likely the route im going .

On another note, i noticed some screens say atnt. Does this matter? I have a Rogers phone. I remember when fixing blackberries there would be different screen models
does the same apply to lumias or will any screen work

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the screen will matter...

Just in case, why not hit up Stephen Elop's email or just their customer care link and see if they can give you a replacement for a good price if you send the broken one back?

carlcamera

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not a screen expert but the unbranded screen worked fine on my AT&T. And it was cheaper. I'm guessing the screens are the same across carriers. I think the hardest thing to find was the T2 Torx!! Best wishes with this.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I haven't change me screen yet (waiting for the price to go down) , but as of yesterday, I've noticed that there is now a yellow sort of "Stain" at the top and bottom of the screen. The stain is also noticeable in the center of the screen. This is only visible on white backgrounds and it's actually annoying me more than the crack on the screen.

It looks almost as if some liquid got in and stained the LCD :/

drelewis

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My screen is cracked to **** in the top left hand corner. Not sure what to do. Try and get a deal for a lumia on ebay for $200 and sell the cracked phone for $100 would mean I have only spent $100 and saved myself the hassle of changing the screen out.....

hmmmm choices.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3