Beta 2 of the 3D printed Lumia 920 case on the way!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well Beta 1 came, and there are changes that need to be made before I can start offering it for sale. I was a little too close to the side buttons, and the bottom didn't quite fit, but I was able to get it 95% fit on the first try! That's simply amazing, and the 3D scan really helped a LOT. Im very positive that the Beta 2 will fit 100%. Once I get beta 2 and assure it fits, it will be available for sale!

To see video of Beta 1 fitting on the 920 dummy case, view it here.

For Beta 2, I created a new design that I think is cool. Its a geodesic pattern and plays a bit of a optical illusion on your mind when you view it. Here is a render of it.

920_Case_02.jpg

What do you think? I also designed a finger guard on the camera shutter so you don't accidently take photo's of your pocket. I had a problem with this on my 8X and the shutter guard worked very well without getting in the way at all. Also the side grips are amazingly comfortable!

Beta 2 will get here April 4th. I was thinking about having some sort of contest or drawing to give it away once im done test fitting it.

Anyways, more to come after April 4th. If anyone has any suggestions for case designs, please let me know! Im always looking for inspiration!

Kevin

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
And YES, I did test it with one of those invisible cases, and it worked just fine. Not a single problem! Also there is 0 problems with the wireless charger.

Comrade427

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking the geo design!

Do these cases have a raised lip along the sides to keep the screen safer, should you decide to lay it screen down on a flat surface?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It will keep the screen off the ground by about 1MM on the 920. You can slide it on concrete without a scratch. Sadly I did that a few times on my 8x already, but not a scratch on the phone.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
It is possible with more engineering to make sort of a flip/stand. I can print the hinges, but it would take a lot of effort and would be rather thick and bulky.

Comrade427

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think it's best to stick with what the material is best at: rigid protection for the phone.
I'd think a hinged model would be prone to having the front pop off in day-to-day use.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The shipment got delayed by UPS. I should get it tonight, and I will make a video showing it ASAP and hopefully post it tomorrow.

SahilShah

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Dude...

This is seriously awesome! I would totally buy something like this instead of crap unoriginal casing that I have on now. Trust me, if there were cases like yours on the market, I would have like 10 haha...Are you selling yet?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Dude...

This is seriously awesome! I would totally buy something like this instead of crap unoriginal casing that I have on now. Trust me, if there were cases like yours on the market, I would have like 10 haha...Are you selling yet?

Hopefully soon! I need to test it first iin the real world, then start selling it. Should be around 25$

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update. I got the prototype case in, and it fits flawlessly! Here is a photo. I will post the video soon.

DSC01493s.jpg

You can see some of my 8X cases on the side. I really like the "sticky" theme in green =) Who wants sticky on there Lumia 920?!?!?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte