Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DeZerT
  • 1 Post By DeZerT
  1. DeZerT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #1  
    Ok, I guess I may have a problem with my screen. After removing one of those gadgetshieldz protectors (wet apply) the screen looks weird, especially when displaying white. It looks like there's some dirt on it making it look pixelated and greyish, while just a couple of weeks ago the whites were super crisp. It really seems like it's the glass to be blamed, because you can actually see the text sliding below this sort of "dirt" when you scroll. However when the screen is turned off it looks perfectly clean. I think the problem can be caused by the coating wearing off, possibly damaged by the screen protector...I also got a "stickier" area around the earpiece that has the coating obviously wearing off, because it collects dirt and smudges much more than the rest of the screen, but that would be a whole different story, I've heard of many others with the same issues, but frankly it doesn't even bother me. Anyone having similar issues? I'll try to get the phone replaced or at least repaired next week, this is ridiculous, I have a phone with an HD screen looking more fuzzy and pixelated than my GF's 710. You may say that I shouldn't have applied the screen protector and whatnot, but frankly I've been using these protectors on my old 800 for a year and the screen is mint. There's something very wrong with the coating of the 920, I suggest you to be very careful with screen protectors, maybe paradoxically going naked is less dangerous...
    Thanked by:
    Elton Jothi likes this.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvman View Post
    Ok, I guess I may have a problem with my screen. After removing one of those gadgetshieldz protectors (wet apply) the screen looks weird, especially when displaying white. It looks like there's some dirt on it making it look pixelated and greyish, while just a couple of weeks ago the whites were super crisp. It really seems like it's the glass to be blamed, because you can actually see the text sliding below this sort of "dirt" when you scroll. However when the screen is turned off it looks perfectly clean. I think the problem can be caused by the coating wearing off, possibly damaged by the screen protector...I also got a "stickier" area around the earpiece that has the coating obviously wearing off, because it collects dirt and smudges much more than the rest of the screen, but that would be a whole different story, I've heard of many others with the same issues, but frankly it doesn't even bother me. Anyone having similar issues? I'll try to get the phone replaced or at least repaired next week, this is ridiculous, I have a phone with an HD screen looking more fuzzy and pixelated than my GF's 710. You may say that I shouldn't have applied the screen protector and whatnot, but frankly I've been using these protectors on my old 800 for a year and the screen is mint. There's something very wrong with the coating of the 920, I suggest you to be very careful with screen protectors, maybe paradoxically going naked is less dangerous...
    Not true in my case. It's as good as new and our household has 4 lumia 920s - all fine and dandy!
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  3. Elton Jothi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Not true in my case. It's as good as new and our household has 4 lumia 920s - all fine and dandy!
    did u try gadgetshieldz protectors ??
  4. realwarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,268 Posts
    #4  
    I had a similar thing on my old iPhone when I removed a screen protector. With some glass cleaner and a lot of rubbing with some dry paper towels it cleaned up but really left a nasty residue that had to be cleaned up. No idea what brand protector I was using but I think its common. Not sure what I'd use on the 920 as its not glass...
  5. DeZerT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #5  
    Ok I got an update on the issue. A guy over at XDA suggested me a possible reason for this to happen: maybe it's the fact that I didn't use distilled water during the apply, but simple tap water. Apparently non distilled water can contain some minerals that after some time may eventually deteriorate the coating. However this is still weird because I've never had issues on my older phones with Gorilla Glass, and I've always applied the protectors using the same method. I also tried some of that Fusso Smartphone thing to recoat the screen but no luck, I guess this one is going straight to Nokia repair center, hopefully they will consider it a manifacturing defect and won't charge me...and no I don't really feel like stealing here because come on, let's face it, a Gorilla Glass screen getting damged by a few drops of tap water? Gotta be kidding me...
    Thanked by:
  6. admorris#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    #6  
    I think this is seriously blown out of proportion. It absolutely sucks for you, but I think that was a freak problem. Considering the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of screen protectors being installed on gorilla glass 2 phones, I have never heard of this issue before. I would bank of your issue being a manufacturers screen defect over anything else.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
  7. DeZerT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerwagon View Post
    I think this is seriously blown out of proportion. It absolutely sucks for you, but I think that was a freak problem. Considering the hundreds of thousands, if not millions of screen protectors being installed on gorilla glass 2 phones, I have never heard of this issue before. I would bank of your issue being a manufacturers screen defect over anything else.

    Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree. By the way in case anyone is wondering, I'm not from Mexico, tap water is more than fine here, people drink it on a daily basis ;)
  8. Elton Jothi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #8  
    thanks for the info..
    how is the cutout in gadget shieldz?
    does it block the sensor near the front camera ?

    can u also link me the XDA post abt the guy who said it was due to tap water
  9. DeZerT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton Jothi View Post
    thanks for the info..
    how is the cutout in gadget shieldz?
    does it block the sensor near the front camera ?

    can u also link me the XDA post abt the guy who said it was due to tap water
    Yeah it has the cutouts, no complaints about the shape or the quality of the protector, but still when I get my screen replaced I highly doubt I'll ever use anything again on it, be it the film, the water or a defective unit, I just don't wanna risk it anymore. A flip case will be my best bet. I already have it but I thought some extra protection could have been nice. Oh well...

    Not sure if I can post a link to another forum here, I've sent you a PM with the link tho.
    Thanked by:
    Elton Jothi likes this.
  10. Elton Jothi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vnvman View Post
    Yeah it has the cutouts, no complaints about the shape or the quality of the protector, but still when I get my screen replaced I highly doubt I'll ever use anything again on it, be it the film, the water or a defective unit, I just don't wanna risk it anymore. A flip case will be my best bet. I already have it but I thought some extra protection could have been nice. Oh well...

    Not sure if I can post a link to another forum here, I've sent you a PM with the link tho.
    Thanks a lot again...
    btw did u apply soap water ??
    its so wired to apply soap solution on the screen without wiping it off and letting it dry:|
    anyways i have ordered that shield and will be receiving it soon as that company is located in the same place where i live :)
  11. DeZerT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elton Jothi View Post
    Thanks a lot again...
    btw did u apply soap water ??
    its so wired to apply soap solution on the screen without wiping it off and letting it dry:|
    anyways i have ordered that shield and will be receiving it soon as that company is located in the same place where i live :)
    Yeah I know it sounds kinda weird, but all in al it's just a drop of soap for a glass of water, just in order to make the protector slide in position more easily. It's important that you don't overdo it with the soap because otherwise the protector won't have a very clean look when it dries. It also sticks kinda fast, so you should try to align it as quickly as possible, and in order to avoid the orange peel effect you really shouldn't use the phone for a good 8-10 hours. Imperfections will disappear as soon as it dries completely, assuming that you haven't screwed up during the installation process :)
    Thanked by:
  12. Elton Jothi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    #12  
    Finally i have installed gadgetshieldz on mine perfectely, the proximity sensor was blocked though which i had to make a cut manually with a sharp blade...
    been upto 12 hrs and all the haziness and bubbles dissapeared, not much of a orange peel

    @vnvman : after installation, how long did it take for the defect to appear?
    i am just hoping your case doesnt happen to me
  13. link68759's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    601 Posts
    #13  
    I have some substance in my room that does this to glass; no idea what the culprit is. I've had three different devices loose their coating in spots. :/
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
  14. FBirraque's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    104 Posts
    #14  
    Looks like "wet apply" screen protection really will damage L920.
    Look out, screen protectors possibly damaging the screen on the 920. - xda-developers

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 07:03 AM
  2. Is it possible to remove the cover on the 8x?
    By lee.eubanks in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
  4. Anyone notice the tiles on the Start screen re-draw?
    By jrdatrackstar1223 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions