Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I know many people have issues with their proximity sensor preventing them from using their screen while on a call. I have had 2 Lumia 920s with the opposite problem: the proximity sensor does not seem to properly prevent accidental touches to the screen.

I have been on calls where the phone hangs up over and over again. I have also had the phone switch to speaker. I have also had the phone hang up and dial another number off the previous calls list.

Has anyone else experienced this on their Lumia 920?

I have had this problem on multiple occasions. At one point, the screen wouldn't turn off at all when I took a phone call. A hard reset sometimes helps, but I still get phantom hangups at least once a day.

Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    I know many people have issues with their proximity sensor preventing them from using their screen while on a call. I have had 2 Lumia 920s with the opposite problem: the proximity sensor does not seem to properly prevent accidental touches to the screen.

I have been on calls where the phone hangs up over and over again. I have also had the phone switch to speaker. I have also had the phone hang up and dial another number off the previous calls list.

I have this EXACT problem. But I fixed it. It used to happen when I had the phone up to my right ear. I started holding the phone to my left ear and the problem does not happen anymore.

lulz. Yes. I'm serious.

Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    I have this EXACT problem. But I fixed it. It used to happen when I had the phone up to my right ear. I started holding the phone to my left ear and the problem does not happen anymore.

lulz. Yes. I'm serious.
    My mother have the same problem because the way she holds the phone.

Bradleyj, can you try to cover the ear speaker with the palm of your hand and check if the sensor does work?
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post

I replaced my phone and now have none of these issues.
    Talderon

Device: Black Nokia Lumia 1520 (32GB Edition)
    Network: AT&T (LTE)

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    The same issue kept on happening to me. My solution was to press the lock button every time I got onto a call. The proximity sensor does not trigger the screen to turn on while on a call. If you want to end the call, press the lock button again and it takes you right back to the call screen. No need to change positions

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    I have thoroughly checked the proximity sensor by having my wife and daughter watch the screen as a hold the phone against my head in different ways. The sensor *seems* to work fine in these tests. And yet I have had multiple hang-ups (and I think a speakerphone or dialing another number) on calls. It seems intermittent to me.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by npoe View Post
    My mother have the same problem because the way she holds the phone.

Bradleyj, can you try to cover the ear speaker with the palm of your hand and check if the sensor does work?
    I specifically tried that and the sensor appears to work fine.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Update: Nokia sent me a new Lumia 920, and as much as I love the phone, I decided to sell it. The problem is that on the LUmia 920, the proximity sensor is so far to the right side of the rather large phone that if you don't hold the phone tightly against your head the screen can activate. This won't happen if you use the phone left-handed. Why Nokia built a phone that needs to be held in just te right way is beyond me. My Samsung Focus has no problems (it has the proximity sensor on the left side which seems wiser).