Battery issue with Double tap to wake-up?

fredolay69

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So i saw the video of the double tap to wake up feature. Very nice. My concern however is that clock that stays on after you lock the screen. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this add extra strain on the battery to constantly be displaying a clock like that?

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So i saw the video of the double tap to wake up feature. Very nice. My concern however is that clock that stays on after you lock the screen. Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't this add extra strain on the battery to constantly be displaying a clock like that?

It has to do with what screen-tech is being used. AMOLED-displays don't drain much battery when they are displaying just black and with a low refreshrate (Wouldn't have to update the screen more often than once per minute or when there's a notification). LCD's are a different story though... They basically Always drain the same amount of Power regardless of what you do with it (if it is turned on of course).

My guess is that the "Clock on Lock"-screen will be an AMOLED-only feature.

The rumors are saying the next flagship by Nokia will use a different screen-tech (Probably an OLED-screen).

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It has to do with what screen-tech is being used. AMOLED-displays don't drain much battery when they are displaying just black and with a low refreshrate (Wouldn't have to update the screen more often than once per minute or when there's a notification). LCD's are a different story though... They basically Always drain the same amount of Power regardless of what you do with it (if it is turned on of course).

My guess is that the "Clock on Lock"-screen will be an AMOLED-only feature.

Exclusive first look at Nokia

the whole article is about the feature coming to a Lumia 920...which has an LCD...Nokia Lumia 920 - Full phone specifications

So, I really didn't get your statements as to how it would affect everything. You are saying it WILL kill the Lumia 920 battery...?

I kind of have a feeling it will require the screen to always be on/black...like when you let your phone go to 0% and plug it in, you get the Red Battery screen but your phone is still ALWAYS on, the Red Battery just hides a bit. It is easy to tell if you are charging your phone is a completely dark room.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Exclusive first look at Nokia

the whole article is about the feature coming to a Lumia 920...which has an LCD...Nokia Lumia 920 - Full phone specifications

So, I really didn't get your statements as to how it would affect everything. You are saying it WILL kill the Lumia 920 battery...?

I kind of have a feeling it will require the screen to always be on/black...like when you let your phone go to 0% and plug it in, you get the Red Battery screen but your phone is still ALWAYS on, the Red Battery just hides a bit. It is easy to tell if you are charging your phone is a completely dark room.

I have a feeling it has to do with Nokia wanting to give a sneak-peak of PR 2.0 on a well-known and widespread device (the 920). They can't very well demo it on the 928 which according to rumor has some kind of OLED-display.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
A clock on screen all the time will not 'kill' your battery. I'm sure after a while the screen will dim, so battery usage will be minimal.

There seems to be a preoccupation on WP Central about battery life. I'm getting close to 2 days with nearly constant use on my 920. More often than not, it is a 'rogue' or badly written app which causes the problems. Also, get rid of those silly battery monitoring apps. They drain battery like no tomorrow.
Ironic really!!!!

kevin2577

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I would expect that battery life would take a hit, especially with the LCD nature of the Lumia 920's screen, but before releasing the feature to phones Nokia will have done all they can to minimize the impact, and let users decide if it is worth it. In the same way that Sunlight Readability mode can decrease battery life, and users can enable/disable it as they see fit.

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
There seems to be a preoccupation on WP Central about battery life. I'm getting close to 2 days with nearly constant use on my 920.

Well, bully for you. My battery is, generally, pretty good. Sometimes, it is excellent. Often, though, the phone goes into egg poaching mode and zaps the battery. Last week, within an hour of taking it off the charger (in the morning, so it was charging all night) I got a critical battery warning. This morning, the alarm went off, I hit snooze and knocked the phone off the charger. 9 minutes later the alarm went off again and the battery was down to 75%. Inconsistant battery.

Randy Wall

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys the clock on the lock screen is in a different setting all together its in the last setting called glance wow all you 920s out there couldn't just say that lmao and the double tap is in the touch settings jeeeez people
love my 920
use my 900 as a back up alarm clock

and my HTC surround as a dust collector hahaha good phone tho my 1st windows phone and I'll never switch back
PS have owned every other OS from ijunk to BB and I've toured the galaxy as an Android windows will come too #1 I've tried them all

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys the clock on the lock screen is in a different setting all together its in the last setting called glance wow all you 920s out there couldn't just say that lmao and the double tap is in the touch settings jeeeez people
love my 920
use my 900 as a back up alarm clock

ahahahah, Dude, the thread is from April...this was a conversation from 6 months ago when it was all theory. No one knew the settings at the time but I guess thanks for bumping because I give myself a 10 of 10 on the rum-o-meter.

Any answer to that is purely a guess by any of us.

I'll put one guess in for "you will be able to have one or the other or both"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos