Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi everyone, I'm experiencing some weird problems on my Lumia 920. It's about the battery indicator. I use no battery apps, everytime I want to check my battery, I go to settings and down to the battery saver section, it tells me how much I have left. The problem is this morning, I went to sleep at 6 in the morning, wake up at 13:30 in the afternoon and my battery went from 90% to 83%, I guess that's normal, I lost 1% every hour ? And then I turn off my phone and restart it again just out of curiosity. When I checked after restarting my phone, the battery indicator in Settings dropped to 79%. So I restart my phone again, and my battery power continued to drop from 79% to 77% and 75%. It's really weird for me, because there's absolutely no apps running in the background, I'm at home so I only use Wi-fi, my 3G is switched to 2G and cellular data is turned off. I have this Lumia for 2 months now and the battery is always acting weird for me,even though I installed every released updates. Please suggest if I should get it fixed by a change of battery or is there a way to fix this without bringing it to Nokia Care ? I lived in Vietnam and Nokia Care Vietnam does not have a policy to return a defect unit, they just find out what's wrong and try to fix it, in like 2 months or something, so I truly hate to go to Nokia Care,(the experience is really bad), even to change a defect battery. Thank you very much for your time and attention.

The batterylife (or lack of it) is the phone's biggest problem. The internet is rife with Lumia 920 battery drain threads. Hope it can be fixed by software during an update.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thank you for your quick reply. My question is that has anyone experienced the same issue as me ? This is not about using the phone , this is about restarting the phone and lose 2% battery power everytime, it means if I restart 37 times more than my battery will literally die without any use at all ?

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thank you for your quick reply. Is there anyone who's experiencing the same issue ? Because this is not about using the phone, this is about restarting the phone and lose 2% battery power every time. It means I can go on restarting it 37 times more then my battery will die with no use at all.

If you restart the phone it uses a lot of juice to get all systems up and running. That's why it is suggested not to turn off the phone when you want to save battery for later use in the day. It is advised to keep it in a flight mode.

Which is ridiculous as no other phone demands this as a way to make your phone last longer. Basically, when the phone is idle, it should be losing no more than 1-2% battery per hour. Every other high quality smartphone that I have used is like this.

zim ali: some app is draining ur battery. Look for it, and uninstall it.

Bachpham: u aren't quite right, but every other phone does show a different battery level after a power cycle. Even the old Nokia 3310. Try it and see D:
    ex iPhone3G and iPhone4 user, ex Lumia920 user
    Now a proud Nokia Lumia930 user

Ceterum censeo, Androidam delendam esse!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachpham9475 View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply. Is there anyone who's experiencing the same issue ? Because this is not about using the phone, this is about restarting the phone and lose 2% battery power every time. It means I can go on restarting it 37 times more then my battery will die with no use at all.
    My phone does the same, but im not losing 2%...its more like 5% for each power cycle.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    It's not that your battery is bad. It's the OS. The battery reader in the OS is horrible

On top of that the OS is buggy and processes do get stuck which cause absurd battery drain. When this happens it's always good to restart the phone and let it sit idle for a while.

There is no need to return your phone. Hopefully this will be better in the next update.
    chezm likes this.

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttsoldier View Post
    It's not that your battery is bad. It's the OS. The battery reader in the OS is horrible

On top of that the OS is buggy and processes do get stuck which cause absurd battery drain.

You're referring to processes not documented by the OS (holding the back button), but the ones hidden and draining the battery unnecessarily correct?
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    I have and I fixed it :) Basically its the Wifi that did it for me, so when you turn off Wifi you get hours and hours more out of it!

Global Posts
    2,912 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    but the ones hidden and draining the battery unnecessarily correct?
    Yes.
    Thanked by:
    chezm 

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I normally always run my battery dry before re charging, when the phone is completely dead I do a vol down plus power to make sure the phone is completely dead, the OS battery reader is bad it try's to calculate the battery life depending on what you are doing that same moment, so if you have spent the last 10 minutes watching youtube don't be surprised if you go in and see that the battery life left is two hours.

Like many people mentioned before, the OS doesn't handle rouge apps and process that run in the background(orphan processes), I really hope MS fixes the majority of these issues because not only are they behind on features and capabilities if us users keep complaining word of mouth is going to be bad.

I really like the OS and have stuck by it even though its lacking of some apps and features that I need ( VOIP client and PPTP VPN), so I have been patiently waiting for everything to get updated and I got to admit it sometimes drives me nuts.

for now unless something else really life changing comes out on the other platforms I will be sticking with Windows Phone.

^^ When you take the count of battery remaining next time doing an activity, note down the same and see the battery guage while doing the same activity after 2 hours or whatever it said.

The remaining battery life is based on the level of activity on the processor/battery life. Try to play a game and if the battery life says 4 hours remaining, it means if you continue to do the same task, the battery will go dry in 4 hours.

The only inaccurate thing is the same guage takes quite a while to reflect.
    I heard about 920 Battery issues and finally upgraded 920. Oh boy my crappy old HTC Surround which was two years old and forced updated 7.8, lasted a whole day with about 8 background apps, wifi on always (not connected when screen Locked) data on. I was so excited to see 920 performance, and now it is like meh, go to sleep with 80% and wake up with the phone being dead. Utterly disappointed with Nokia and Microsoft, need to find out whether it is app draining or OS itself has weird bug

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    my 920 doesn't drain while on standby ifi leave it overnight.

On the issue with resetting the phone and getting a different %, that seems to be an issue with the device my % cuold be 90%, if i reset, it will be 82%. Not sure why, seems the phone doesn't reflect the battery strengh left properly so im not certain which is actually the right batter level.

My 920 will die at 4%, so it never goes to 0%.

I bought my Lumia 920 yellow on 21st Apr 13 & since then have been facing issues with Battery life. Here are some observations

1) Firstly it use to last for about 8-9 hours (With decent amount of Whatsapping) after a full charge (i use 2G .. i have 3G but it's a battery killer)
    2) The charging use to take around 1 hour initially for a full charge.
    3) If I remove Whatsapp & use the 2G network for calling & internet then with decent use the battery will last for around 20-22 hours.
    4) I experience battery drain after playing games even though I have closed them properly.
    5) Recently the battery life has improved to 12-13 hours with Whatsapp & FB Chat on (though I am not that active a user).
    6) Now the battery takes around 1.45 hours for full charging.
    7) The phone heats up in the rear upper half portion while playing games or if continuously doing whatsapp or when i watch videos.
    8) I have faced a complete black out once for which I had to soft reset the phone & twice the phone had freezed for which I once again had to do a soft reset.
    9) I also did a hard reset of the phone once after reading over the web to iron out issues related to battery (after which the phone actually started giving a better battery life of around 12-13 hours mentioned above)

The worst part is my friend has a Red Lumia 920 & he is getting a battery life of around 1 to 1.5 days for the same usage ... weird ??

Apart from battery life, the phone is plain awesome & the cam is real good.
    Any help from anybody would be really useful .. please note i have followed all the tips mentioned over the web & have kept the settings accordingly.

Guys how much does your Lumia 920 last ?

I have been having similar issues. However, I found an app that discharges the battery by turning on all the phone's devices at once. By completely depleting the battery, the phone recalibrates the battery sensors. it seems to work for me, it seems to keep a better record of battery charge percentage. You might want to give it a try.

Guys, maybe this video will help you.

Thanked by:
    Rozzazz Dangol likes this.

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Devamps View Post
    Guys, maybe this video will help you.

I would consider these tips for newbies...basics to help conserve battery. I've gone well beyond these tips and the battery is still less than good. I really just think nokias devices aren't solid across the board. My device is only a month old and experiencing battery drain all over the place. Its very inconsistent, best way to put in. I'm hoping things will improve over time.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2

Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    I would consider these tips for newbies...basics to help conserve battery. I've gone well beyond these tips and the battery is still less than good. I really just think nokias devices aren't solid across the board. My device is only a month old and experiencing battery drain all over the place. Its very inconsistent, best way to put in. I'm hoping things will improve over time.
    Obviously you have a faulty device, it is a fact that there are 920 defects in welding of components due to quality control ineffective some factories around the world.
    Where your 920 was manufactured?
    Last edited by Devamps; 05-19-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts
    How would I figure that out? I got it from Rogers.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
    Hi, i live in winnipeg as well. I bought a lumia 920 from a kijiji seller here and had the greatest headaches for battery usage. What i hadto do to resolvemy battery issues were...

1. Update to the latest firmware. The 1308 firmware was just so bad. I had overheating issues with it. After installing the1314 firmware, things improved a lot.

2. Disable xbox games syncing. This is a battery hog.

3. I set my email syncing to every 30 minutes.

4. Disable backup to cloud.

Tonight, i was able to get 5hrs of heavy usage and still have 38% battery left in the tank.

THe new firmware really made a difference.

There is a game app called C64, its an commodore 64 emulator. I've noticed that if freezes at times and drains your phone battery at a tremendous rate. Apart from that the apps that really drain my battery are those high end games, Modern Combat 4 and Asphalt 7. From full charge my lumia 920 can drain in about 2 hours of playing these games.

I have the exact problems. Every single issue you've raised from 1 through 9 is similar to what I deal with I bought my lumia 920 back in December. If you're saying there are friends that get 1 to 1.5 days out of their phones then something is wrong with ours. After I uninstalled whatsapp and toggled off my 4g to 2g I've found I get an average of 12hrs. The apps I've used the most arenews aggregator app, "weave" and I use my camera a lot. I took off my phone from the charger about an hour ago, made 5-10 mins of viber calls to a friend, posted and commented one picture on fhotoroom and checked 'weave news' twice, now my phone is down to 90%.
    Am I asking too much out of my 920?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast