AT&T unlocked 920 LTE or 4G/3G connection

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Alright with all the unlocking madness going on, i want to be the first to ask you guys what networks are you using and if your getting LTE or 3G speeds on other networks as tmobile, or simple mobile and other networks, Chime in here, I'll be getting my phone on T-mobile tomorrow so i'll also post my experiences here.

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I have gotten "4g" on my 920 using a T-Mobile SIM here in Houston but it wasn't very fast but I was also in a DT building that doesn't get the best signal. I am really curious if we will be able to pick up T-Mobile LTE.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting my 920 unlocked now. If anyone lives in San Francisco and wants me to test with their T-Mobile sim I'd be happy to.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think we should be able to pick up LTE, but there isn't LTE in my area yet. Should be here in Orange County hopefully by summer. They already worked on the tower near my house, I used to get 1-2 bars on 1900, but now I get 4-5.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean that the AT&T version of the 920 has AWS capabilities (i.e. support for 1700/2100mhz)?

AWS on LTE, not for UMTS/HSPA.

AT&T was planning to deploy LTE on AWS, but their merger failed, so as part of the breakup agreement they had to give T-Mobile a bunch of their AWS licenses.

T-Mobile is rolling out LTE on AWS. Usually that means they have to take some of that AWS away from HSPA and move it over to PCS (1900). That's what the refarm is all about.

joesc

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Why are people bothering with going with T-Mobile, when you could just get StraightTalk for $45 a month for unlimited. Straightalk is an MVNO for ATT and TMobile, and uses their towers. So you can save yourself some money going w/ Straighttalk.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Why are people bothering with going with T-Mobile, when you could just get StraightTalk for $45 a month for unlimited. Straightalk is an MVNO for ATT and TMobile, and uses their towers. So you can save yourself some money going w/ Straighttalk.

Straight Talk doesn't offer AT&T SIMs anymore, unless you want to buy them from Ebay where I think sellers are charging high prices.

Also, Straight Talk customer service sucks. I have to wait on hold for twenty minutes, before I even get to talk to a person. Then it takes another ten minutes, sometimes longer to resolve my problem. Sometimes their customer service lines are so busy, they can't even put you on hold, they just say to call back later.

Right now I actually have Straight Talk on AT&T, but I've been trying out T-Mobile on a prepaid plan. There are some things I like, and some things I don't. So far, I've gotten good speeds on AWS, typically 9-15 Mbps down. On PCS, if I remember correctly, I get 7-11 Mbps down.

Indoor coverage with PCS seems to be improved, my home used to get 1-2 bars, now I get 4-5. I've always had 4-5 bars on AWS.

At school, in one building I get 1-2 bars of HSPA on Straight Talk. On T-Mobile AWS, I got 1-2 bars also, but at one point it did drop to EDGE until I cycled the radio (Airplane Mode). I haven't tested it in a building where I got no service before. Didn't get a chance to yet.

At a local WalMart where I've had issues with both AT&T and T-Mobile years back, Straight Talk gives me 1-3 bars, T-Mobile gives me 1-3 bars.

So T-Mobile indoor coverage doesn't seem to be as bad as it was before, but I haven't taken my phone to everywhere I've wanted to test it yet.

My only problem so far with T-Mobile is at my brother's school. I don't know if they're still working on the tower there or what, but I'll have either good or decent signal, but my speeds will be 10Mbps one minute, but then 0.5Mbps the next for no obvious reason. Sometimes pages don't even load. So I think AT&T wins in network reliability, at least for data.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Too many horror stories with ST on data throttling, CS and do they even offer tethering? Personally im looking to save money but not at the expense of decent wireless service. There's a reason MVNO's are not full network operators

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Finally got my phone any everything setup, ive been bouncing inbetween E & 4G, but i havent speed tested yet. Ive even lost signal a few times, but it comes back.

joesc

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Too many horror stories with ST on data throttling, CS and do they even offer tethering? Personally im looking to save money but not at the expense of decent wireless service. There's a reason MVNO's are not full network operators

We've got Straighttalk and haven't had issues with it yet, consistently get around 3Mb down and 1.5 up where I live and w/ ST, you get a cap of 2GB if they do cap you, some people have reported going over that. All for $45, and while the OP was right, they no longer offer ATT sims, you can use the ST Tmobile sims in the 920 and get the exact same Tmobile service on ST. No, they don't offer tethering, but neither did ATT unless you paid extra. Luckily, we haven't had an issue w/ ST customer service, but of course everyone's experience is different.

Now w/ T-Mobile, you pay $60 for what I would say is the equivalent level of service. Yes, you might get tethering now, but most people don't use that feature.

Just don't think people should rule ST out immediately without trying it. Luckily it's month to month, so you can switch if you're not happy.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
We've got Straighttalk and haven't had issues with it yet, consistently get around 3Mb down and 1.5 up where I live and w/ ST, you get a cap of 2GB if they do cap you, some people have reported going over that. All for $45, and while the OP was right, they no longer offer ATT sims, you can use the ST Tmobile sims in the 920 and get the exact same Tmobile service on ST. No, they don't offer tethering, but neither did ATT unless you paid extra. Luckily, we haven't had an issue w/ ST customer service, but of course everyone's experience is different.

Now w/ T-Mobile, you pay $60 for what I would say is the equivalent level of service. Yes, you might get tethering now, but most people don't use that feature.

Just don't think people should rule ST out immediately without trying it. Luckily it's month to month, so you can switch if you're not happy.

Why should I have to deal with caps or no tethering when I can get that on Tmo? Thats the whole point of paying for a service, being able to use it. ST really isnt a service for anyone who buys a phone like the 920 and actually wants to enjoy its features fully.

Anyway, on to my on-topic comment. What kind of speeds are people getting with their unlocked 920's on Tmo? I am getting really unreliable speeds which makes me think I will have to get a Rogers 920 instead. I work in the DC area and metro in from Rockville and the speeds I'm seeing are not very good. Just ported my number form at&t so not sure is that makes a difference but I'm also seeing the same thing with my L900 so I'm guessing the refarm is either not complete or just not very good in my areas.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Why should I have to deal with caps or no tethering when I can get that on Tmo? Thats the whole point of paying for a service, being able to use it. ST really isnt a service for anyone who buys a phone like the 920 and actually wants to enjoy its features fully.

Anyway, on to my on-topic comment. What kind of speeds are people getting with their unlocked 920's on Tmo? I am getting really unreliable speeds which makes me think I will have to get a Rogers 920 instead. I work in the DC area and metro in from Rockville and the speeds I'm seeing are not very good. Just ported my number form at&t so not sure is that makes a difference but I'm also seeing the same thing with my L900 so I'm guessing the refarm is either not complete or just not very good in my areas.

Orange County, CA - 7-11 Mbps down.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Orange County, CA - 7-11 Mbps down.

Thanks. Looking at my speedtest results I've gone from 27Mbps on at&t to 0.59Mbps at the slowest point. In one area walking to work I did get 13.14Mbps and the phone displayed it was connected to LTE but everywhere else has been abysmal. Think I'm going to ditch this and get a Rogers one.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Looking at my speedtest results I've gone from 27Mbps on at&t to 0.59Mbps at the slowest point. In one area walking to work I did get 13.14Mbps and the phone displayed it was connected to LTE but everywhere else has been abysmal. Think I'm going to ditch this and get a Rogers one.

I don't have T-Mobile LTE in my area yet. I'm hoping it'll be here soon. There are actually patches of LTE that people spotted, but I'd have to drive fifteen minutes to reach it. Maybe when I have time.

My speeds are pretty consistent. With poorer signal, I'll get 4-7 down. I did find one place where I'll get 11 down one minute, and no data the next. Very strange, maybe they're working on a tower there.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't have T-Mobile LTE in my area yet. I'm hoping it'll be here soon. There are actually patches of LTE that people spotted, but I'd have to drive fifteen minutes to reach it. Maybe when I have time.

My speeds are pretty consistent. With poorer signal, I'll get 4-7 down. I did find one place where I'll get 11 down one minute, and no data the next. Very strange, maybe they're working on a tower there.

I found a link to the Nokia access point app and used that to configure for Tmobile and that improved the signal somewhat but I'm still mostly seeing EDGE and of course now tethering doesnt work (doesnt really matter with the speeds I'm getting) so at least for me I think a swap to a Rogers one is going to work best. Definitely strange as I have read so many reports of good coverage in the DC area with unlocked 920's but I guess you have to be in the right area.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon