Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree34Likes
  1.    #1  
    This is only my experience and one person.....But today while I was at Chili's waiting for my to go order I was playing with my phone and the man beside me was like is that one of those Nokia Phones?

    I was like yeah.

    He's like is it that one from the commercial where they are fighting at the wedding? A windows phone, right.

    SO I said yeah and what not.

    He went on to say how he enjoyed the commercial and in the past he had used Nokia Phones Pre-windows phone and had never seen a Lumia in person before and just expressed a lot of interest in the phone and the commercial.

    I love when people ask me about my phone and I honestly do think Microsoft needs more amusing and fun commercial that grab your attention like The Wedding commercial because that is just how the droid campaign took off in 2009 with Moto's Droid and I remember having that phone and people are like "is that the droid?"

    But it definitely made me smile to see my little Lumia getting some outside attention!
    Thanked by:
  2. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    #2  
    My cousin actually texted me 2 days ago telling me she wanted to get a Windows Phone because of that commercial.
  3. #3  
    My boss got a Lumia 920 matt black because of that ad, this Friday ;)
    Patient Windows Phone User since October 2010 till cores and apps do us apart.

    Read the rules before you post. If you post, we will assume you've read this already.
  4. #4  
    The power of advertising works, look how Apple has always done it I would think they will be running adds against WP sometime soon.
    miklavzg and wpn00b like this.
  5. tgp
    tgp is online now
    tgp's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,932 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,560 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah Dawson View Post
    This is only my experience and one person.....But today while I was at Chili's waiting for my to go order I was playing with my phone and the man beside me was like is that one of those Nokia Phones?

    I was like yeah.

    He's like is it that one from the commercial where they are fighting at the wedding? A windows phone, right.

    SO I said yeah and what not.

    He went on to say how he enjoyed the commercial and in the past he had used Nokia Phones Pre-windows phone and had never seen a Lumia in person before and just expressed a lot of interest in the phone and the commercial.

    I love when people ask me about my phone and I honestly do think Microsoft needs more amusing and fun commercial that grab your attention like The Wedding commercial because that is just how the droid campaign took off in 2009 with Moto's Droid and I remember having that phone and people are like "is that the droid?"

    But it definitely made me smile to see my little Lumia getting some outside attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    My cousin actually texted me 2 days ago telling me she wanted to get a Windows Phone because of that commercial.
    Well that's 2 down, 999,999,998 to go!
    Current lineup: Nexus 5 (primary device), Lumia 920, Moto G, and Lumia 520. There, I did it; I updated my signature!
  6. Maserati Storm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    #6  
    I was with one of my friends and her friend saw my 920 and she was like "thats the new windows phone?" i was like yeah Nokia Lumia 920, she said she loved windows phone , but got the iphone for instagram, so i went to wpcentral and show her the itsdgram article, and she ready to buy one
  7. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #7  
    There's two guys I work with one just got an 8X and one just got the 810. Last night I was at a Jimmy Eat World concert and for the first time saw another 920. The guy was taking lots of pics with it too. It was nice to see.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 5tephen View Post
    There's two guys I work with one just got an 8X and one just got the 810. Last night I was at a Jimmy Eat World concert and for the first time saw another 920. The guy was taking lots of pics with it too. It was nice to see.
    I'm more surprised that Jimmy Eat World still performs ;)
    Thanked by:
    J4rrod 
    txaggies07 and bawboh86 like this.
  9. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #9  
    Advertising is part of it but MS also needs to deliver a solid phone platform too. If people switch and the platform sucks those people will be very vocal and tell their 10000 friends not to buy one.
    tgp likes this.
  10. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalWarrior View Post
    I'm more surprised that Jimmy Eat World still performs ;)
    They actually have a new CD coming out in June. And they put on a good show. I posted a video over in the pics/videos thread of them performing The Middle.
  11. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Babba View Post
    Advertising is part of it but MS also needs to deliver a solid phone platform too. If people switch and the platform sucks those people will be very vocal and tell their 10000 friends not to buy one.
    True.

    But WP does have a solid platform.

    Hence, the great satisfaction ratings by consumers who own Windows Phones.
    12Danny123 and bawboh86 like this.
  12. nikhilr51's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    335 Posts
    Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    But WP does have a solid platform.
    I know we love bashing bloggers and news sites for saying this, buuuuut after 7 months owning my 920, APPS.
    We really are missing apps. My friends have ipads as well so its not too much of a problem for them, but seriously we shouldnt have to buy an ipad to compliment our windows phones.
  13. #13  
    Someone in my bowling league was using his ancient BlackBerry during a meeting we had before we started yesterday. I took out my 920 and he said he really likes the Windows Phone. I have a feeling he might end up getting the 928 as his next phone, should he decide to finally ditch the BlackBerry.
  14. #14  
    The ad team at Microsoft is doing incredible recently! Between the Surface commercials and these new Windows Phone commercials, I have never heard so much hype over Microsoft products!
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    bawboh86 likes this.
  15. Residing's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhilr51 View Post
    I know we love bashing bloggers and news sites for saying this, buuuuut after 7 months owning my 920, APPS.
    We really are missing apps. My friends have ipads as well so its not too much of a problem for them, but seriously we shouldnt have to buy an ipad to compliment our windows phones.

    I have no intention of purchasing an iPod Touch or iPad to compliment my Windows Phone. And I've never heard of anyone putting a gun to someone's head to purchase on of those devices to 'compliment' their WP device.
  16. Ali Babba's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    But WP does have a solid platform.
    I'd say that WP is a solid base platform but it needs some work. Specifically:

    - Enterprise support (VPN, better calendaring, mobile device management, etc)
    - Weird OS bugs (for example the storage bug, weird battery drain)
    - Getting updates out to everyone in a reasonable time - no more of this, AT&T gets it for 4 months before everyone else.
    - Getting updates out more frequently if possible - I realize they are working on this with the whole "Blue" model
    - Apps. It gets tiring to hear but this is a fact. Yes, WP has 95% of the top apps (I agree that's great), but the fact that iOS and Android have more apps does make a difference.
    - Fixing the WP store. Various things like site availability, search results, somehow WP7 users being able to rate down a WP8 only app and saying sucks (WTF)
    - Kids corner (I don't use it, but I've heard it's got some bugs)
  17. mister2d's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    449 Posts
    Global Posts
    496 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Babba View Post
    I'd say that WP is a solid base platform but it needs some work. Specifically:

    - Enterprise support (VPN, better calendaring, mobile device management, etc)
    - Weird OS bugs (for example the storage bug, weird battery drain)
    - Getting updates out to everyone in a reasonable time - no more of this, AT&T gets it for 4 months before everyone else.
    - Getting updates out more frequently if possible - I realize they are working on this with the whole "Blue" model
    - Apps. It gets tiring to hear but this is a fact. Yes, WP has 95% of the top apps (I agree that's great), but the fact that iOS and Android have more apps does make a difference.
    - Fixing the WP store. Various things like site availability, search results, somehow WP7 users being able to rate down a WP8 only app and saying sucks (WTF)
    - Kids corner (I don't use it, but I've heard it's got some bugs)
    - Volume separation between master, apps, games, etc.
    - Orientation lock
    - Data counter built-in (like Symbian)
    - Ability to check for application updates manually instead of the "surprise gift" method in place right now. (every other platform can do this)
    - A car mode would be nice. A nice landscape interface that was able to do functions like Phone, Nav, and Music. (like Symbian)


    Just to add a few.
  18. Jazmac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,015 Posts
    #18  
    A guy at my job picked up his GS4 this past Friday. He handed it to me for a little 'show and tell'. I held it. Looked at it . Flipped a few screens and handed it back. I made a comment about the sensors on the phone and his comment to me was, "I thought I would be more happy to have this phone." He said after he got it up and running, he couldn't remember why he felt he had to have the GS4.
    Then he asked me something out of the blue. "Why didn't you want one?" Meaning the GS4. I shot back, "Why did you?" He said he didn't know and I went back to my station. He had this puzzled look on his face I tried to read but couldn't. It reminded me of buyers remorse. I'll know more soon when the bloom falls off the rose.
    metalchick719 likes this.
  19. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmac View Post
    A guy at my job picked up his GS4 this past Friday. He handed it to me for a little 'show and tell'. I held it. Looked at it . Flipped a few screens and handed it back. I made a comment about the sensors on the phone and his comment to me was, "I thought I would be more happy to have this phone." He said after he got it up and running, he couldn't remember why he felt he had to have the GS4.
    Then he asked me something out of the blue. "Why didn't you want one?" Meaning the GS4. I shot back, "Why did you?" He said he didn't know and I went back to my station. He had this puzzled look on his face I tried to read but couldn't. It reminded me of buyers remorse. I'll know more soon when the bloom falls off the rose.
    For some reason this story makes me sad...i think it was the mental picture of the dying rose...anyway there is a term for that: how ppl are only persuaded by popularity and in the process they lose their own voice/identity. It actually can make someone sad and depressed if they adopt this theory to other aspects of their lives...

    Enough of the sadness, on to happy thoughts...i really love my start screen! :)
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  20. chezm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,253 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,356 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmac View Post
    A guy at my job picked up his GS4 this past Friday. He handed it to me for a little 'show and tell'. I held it. Looked at it . Flipped a few screens and handed it back. I made a comment about the sensors on the phone and his comment to me was, "I thought I would be more happy to have this phone." He said after he got it up and running, he couldn't remember why he felt he had to have the GS4.
    Then he asked me something out of the blue. "Why didn't you want one?" Meaning the GS4. I shot back, "Why did you?" He said he didn't know and I went back to my station. He had this puzzled look on his face I tried to read but couldn't. It reminded me of buyers remorse. I'll know more soon when the bloom falls off the rose.
    There's a similar situation at my work where someone purchased an SG4 to replace his iPhone 4. Since he had a week to play with the SG2, he was confident the S4 was the perfect choice as iPhone 5 wasn't advanced enough...and he was tired of the stale UI. After 3 days of owning the S4, he came to me with a list of complaints and now he wishes he would have stayed with Apple. He explains, other than the large beautiful screen and nice way of customizing the UI, everything else for him is a drawback. He says the lag is horrendous, setup for certain applications on iPhone were 2 steps where as on Android they're 4 or 5, the battery isn't very good, music playback is lacking and he's had to reboot it multiple times. I am not bashing the device, this is what i was told. I expressed i had similar problems with my previous S3, directed him to some tips on how to help make the device function more to his advantage. Every time i ask him how its going, he responds with a forceful "it's good, getting better"...but the look on the poor guys face...i can see the pain. Its the same look i had when i realized getting the S3 wasn't the right move for me.
    Nexus 5 -- Surface Pro 2
  21. andrewkeith5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chezm View Post
    There's a similar situation at my work where someone purchased an SG4 to replace his iPhone 4. Since he had a week to play with the SG2, he was confident the S4 was the perfect choice as iPhone 5 wasn't advanced enough...and he was tired of the stale UI. After 3 days of owning the S4, he came to me with a list of complaints and now he wishes he would have stayed with Apple. He explains, other than the large beautiful screen and nice way of customizing the UI, everything else for him is a drawback. He says the lag is horrendous, setup for certain applications on iPhone were 2 steps where as on Android they're 4 or 5, the battery isn't very good, music playback is lacking and he's had to reboot it multiple times. I am not bashing the device, this is what i was told. I expressed i had similar problems with my previous S3, directed him to some tips on how to help make the device function more to his advantage. Every time i ask him how its going, he responds with a forceful "it's good, getting better"...but the look on the poor guys face...i can see the pain. Its the same look i had when i realized getting the S3 wasn't the right move for me.
    I'm beginning to feel like I'm one of the lucky ones for having this realisation back when I had the HTC Legend. Exactly the same complaints back then, it really does amaze me...
    Do you long for a little app that would change your day? Let me know!

  22. #22  
    What amazes me is how differently Americans and central Europeans think about and react to advertisements. In my neck of the world, admitting to buying anything due to advertisements would be like saying: "hey, I'm a flaky pushover incapable of reaching my own conclusions and glad to be manipulated by large corporations". Obviously Europeans are also influenced by adds, but more on a subconscious level. Funny how things like that differ.
  23. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by a5cent View Post
    What amazes me is how differently Americans and central Europeans think about and react to advertisements. In my neck of the world, admitting to buying anything due to advertisements would be like saying: "hey, I'm a flaky pushover incapable of reaching my own conclusions and glad to be manipulated by large corporations". Obviously Europeans are also influenced by adds, but more on a subconscious level. Funny how things like that differ.
    Are you saying that Americans are more honest? 😉

    Actually, I think when it comes from a little known product like WP, the ads just make people know that they exist.
  24. #24  
    I thought the wedding ad was from Nokia, but clearly I am wrong since everyone else in this thread thinks it's a Microsoft ad. Not that it matters to world peace.
  25. phantom404's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmac View Post
    A guy at my job picked up his GS4 this past Friday. He handed it to me for a little 'show and tell'. I held it. Looked at it . Flipped a few screens and handed it back. I made a comment about the sensors on the phone and his comment to me was, "I thought I would be more happy to have this phone." He said after he got it up and running, he couldn't remember why he felt he had to have the GS4.
    Then he asked me something out of the blue. "Why didn't you want one?" Meaning the GS4. I shot back, "Why did you?" He said he didn't know and I went back to my station. He had this puzzled look on his face I tried to read but couldn't. It reminded me of buyers remorse. I'll know more soon when the bloom falls off the rose.
    I was in the same boat. I just jumped from Verizon and went to ATT. It was actually about the same price but I'm getting twice the data amount over here. Besides the early termination fee from Verizon it wasn't expensive to switch at all. I'm still sitting with 70 bucks credit right now in my ATT account after my first bill.

    Coming from Verizon I had the 822 and 8x...loved them both. The 8x for its resolution, design, sound and camera. The 822 because of the apps (Nokia) and the screen (loved the blacks/colors). The first phone I picked up at ATT was the HTC One. It was an awesome phone. The cover flow (I think that's what its called) reminded me of the live tiles and the screen was top notch. After the wow factor wore off (about 30min) I realized it was same old android. Paid the restocking fee, returned it and picked up a white Lumia 920 for free. Couldn't be happier. Finally group texting and an awesome camera along with a great display and of course the OS :) Only thing I missed from the HTC One was the IR it had...loved using it as a remote for my TV.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
  2. Live tiles don't seem to be working
    By dakranii in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 02:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions