Check your bill to see if a Lumia 920 setting is costing you money with group texting!

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Not for nothing but I just found a load of charges on my mobile bill from Group texts I've sent that my carrier has identified as Picture messages and thus charged me. This is due to the "Send group as MMS" setting in the phone. So your network thinks that you are sending data as opposed to text. Disable this setting in the phone to avoid extra charges and recover the ones you've had, my carrier (3) refunded me over ?30.
I have unlimited data and texts but picture messages are not covered, I don't think they are in any tariff on UK networks.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never used the group text feature because I was aware that they would be sent as an MMS and would cost me extra as a result. My network charges me 40p per MMS.

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Open your messaging app and tap menu (three white dots) then settings. Then scroll down the page and move the slider to the off position under Group text.

Thanks - don't seem to have that option! Only options I have is 'Text message backup,' 'Chat backup,' 'Use Facebook chat,' then sliders for delivery confirmation for SMS and MMS...how bizarre! Maybe it's an operator setting?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - don't seem to have that option! Only options I have is 'Text message backup,' 'Chat backup,' 'Use Facebook chat,' then sliders for delivery confirmation for SMS and MMS...how bizarre! Maybe it's an operator setting?

That's strange. If it is an operator thing hopefully it's disabled by default, otherwise you could end up with a big bill if you do a lot of group texting. Anyway, on my 920 the Group text setting is in between "Send MMS acknowledgement" and "Message centre number" right at the bottom of the page.

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. If it is an operator thing hopefully it's disabled by default, otherwise you could end up with a big bill if you do a lot of group texting. Anyway, on my 920 the Group text setting is in between "Send MMS acknowledgement" and "Message centre number" right at the bottom of the page.

Hopefully it's off by default. Normally I tend to do group messaging on Whatsapp, but interested to know 'just in case' - can anyone else on EE confirm if they have this setting?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
For those who are missing this setting the only way really to check if it's off by default is to send a group text then check your bill to see if you have been charged

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre