Lumia 920 Display Problem

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had a Lumia 920 (Singapore Variant) for about 5 months now. Two days ago, all of a sudden, showing black vertical lines started appearing from the left of the screen. In a few seconds the lines took over about 60% of the display. The right 40% of the screen was untouched. I could see things through the lines, but only barely, and everything appeared greenish.

I tried keeping the phone face-down for a while, but that backfired, and the phone went full blank. For a while later, it showed some blurred rectangular artifact (with rounded edges) on screen, but then went off. Now, if I turn the phone on, it shows nothing. As if the screen is displaying a black image (it is still a bit lighter when the backlight is on). Touch works fine. I can turn the phone on and off (this needs touch to work to do).

I'm confused about this, and unsure if this is a display issue or a battery issue (as my bro says it might be). I live in Maldives, and got my phone from a local store for over $800. As I said before, the phone is a Singapore variant (so I'm guessing that's where I'll get support for it).

Now question:
Is this issue known, and how can I fix it?

The phone's very valuable to me. I can back up images n stuff, but will probably lose the unupdated youtube app if I hard reset.

While we're at this, I was wondering: is it even remotely possible to swap out the IPS panel on this with the OLED on the lumia 928? cuz if it is, I would very much do it now that I have the chance. .

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused about this, and unsure if this is a display issue or a battery issue

Regardless, it's a pretty serious issue. Probably need to take it to nokia.
What would your local store say if you took it back to them?

But first try a hard reset of course.

Now question:
Is this issue known, and how can I fix it?
Not as far as I'm aware.

probably lose the unupdated youtube app if I hard reset.
eh, just get metro tube (you can use the trial, works fine if you REALLY don't want to pay)

While we're at this, I was wondering: is it even remotely possible to swap out the IPS panel on this with the OLED on the lumia 928?

Dunno. But i'm sure it would require some pretty intricate work and if you don't know anything about it its probably safer to just replace the screen.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Regardless, it's a pretty serious issue. Probably need to take it to nokia.
What would your local store say if you took it back to them?
We don't have a nokia store, or even affiliated store here in Maldives. The store I bought it from is just a retailer that sells many kinds of phones. They don't provide warranties and stuff. If I take it to them, I'll probably be charged to fix it, and that too without the guarantee of it being fixed.

But first try a hard reset of course.
I really don't think it's a software issue. The way it went off, I'm 98% certain it's hardware.

eh, just get metro tube (you can use the trial, works fine if you REALLY don't want to pay).
Metrotube's paid version isn't in the MV store. I can't purchase paid apps from other stores cuz of billing address issues. I have a trial, though. As good as it is, it doesn't match up so well against the version of Youtube I have (but then again, is there any app that does?)

Dunno. But i'm sure it would require some pretty intricate work and if you don't know anything about it its probably safer to just replace the screen.
Thanks. I was just flirting with the idea. I love the OLED display on the Lumia 900, so I can only imagine the version on the 928 as amazing.

Yeah, I'm eff'ed up pretty bad for being in a small country.

Mark Lamont

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem in Sydney with my Lumina 920. The screen all of a sudden showed an array of parallel fine coloured lines - green and other coloured 'rainbow' effects, and initially I could still see a shadow of the windows 8 display in the background, behind the rainbow of fine lines. Then it started to dim around the 4 corners, then that passed. I tried restarting the device by holding the on/off and volume buttons till it vibrated, but it just comes back on again with different colours, and now there are no colours, and no shadow of the windows 8 in the background, the 3 buttons at the base light up then not. I took out the SIM, no difference. The phone is only a couple of months old. never dropped. how can this be fixed? What is this? It happened one for a moment when i first got it, but with a reboot it passed. this time it seems to be stuck. Major inconvenience.:unhappysweat:

jonofezz

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
What did you guys ever do about this? This same thing happened to me today. I have a 920 with a screen that is either black or one that almost looks like popcorn on a TV channel when it's out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium