Lumia 920 battery discharged in 2 hours, what the hell is happening???

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, the title says it all...i woke up today, removed the phone from the charger, went to the gym for an hour and a half, came back only to see the "Battery is critically low" message on my screen. Just stood there in disbelief unable to figure out what the hell went wrong...100 to 8 in and hour and a half...Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Is this the only time its ever done that? It could have been an electronic mess-up while you were charging and you didn't, in fact, get a full charge. Let the battery go dead and charge it up again to full. See what happens. Don't freak out yet ;-)

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Some application is stuck running in the background. A reboot will normally fix it but you will probably encounter it again when you run that app. I think Caledos Runner does it to me so after using it I now reboot. I hope it's fixed in the next update but I can't say it does it 100% of the time. I think Facebook and Words With Friends get stuck too. If I notice my phone doesn't cool soon after using it, I reboot because that means something is stuck open and eating my battery.

aimulaidni

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Some application is stuck running in the background. A reboot will normally fix it but you will probably encounter it again when you run that app. I think Caledos Runner does it to me so after using it I now reboot. I hope it's fixed in the next update but I can't say it does it 100% of the time. I think Facebook and Words With Friends get stuck too. If I notice my phone doesn't cool soon after using it, I reboot because that means something is stuck open and eating my battery.

Yeah, i checked my background tasks after i saw it at 8%...the only things in there were mybattery, weave, amazing weather HD, timer, my stocks portfolio, that's it...i blocked all of them except mybattery and timer

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Battery apps can actually be battery hogs. Also if you are in marginal reception areas the battery will run out quicker. Also you should try to use the charger that came with your phone. Other chargers may not work as well or may be faulty or only charge sporadically. Also if the microusb plug is loose it may also charge intermittently. I have had that issue a couple of time.

the real smackbo

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You know what im having the same problem for the last couple of days and I also have weave .. This may not be a coincidence since I uninstalled my battery apps and stopped all background apps except weave I bet weave is messed up killing our battery what a bummer because I love that app

iradeut

Jun 27, 2005
Visit site
I've noticed that that accessing Facebook through the browser kills the battery if left running in the background. If I exit, this doesn't happen.

Only Mama Knows

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Basically, the Lumia 920 has a horrible battery (or hiccup somewhere in the software) that randomly discharges like this. Too many people have this issue for it to be a relative non-issue yet it appears everyone has just come to accept this. I'm on my third 920, and they've all had battery issues of one kind or another.

farzonalmaneih

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I am one of those people who has wonderful battery life. I use my phone TONS and can go several days on one charge.

This problem that the OP is describing, I believe It's how the OS handles apps. To me, which I may be wrong, I believe that WP8 doesn't close certain apps correctly. They get stuck in a loop and kill the battery quickly.

For example, if I run "Soundhound" or the Amazon app, my battery will die in as little as 2 hours or less. Each time I use these apps I reboot my phone. This is a drag. Because of this, and only this issue, I miss my iPhone at times. I never ever worried about this kind of stuff.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Today my alarm tripped off at 5:50am I grabbed my phone and dismissed it, my second alarm tripped off at 6:10 am I dismissed it. I took a shower came back and my phone was at 78 %, 22% in less than an hour from using the alarm !!! its ridiculous the battery is so unstable. on Monday and Tuesday the battery lasted the whole day I was even surprised I still had juice when I got home, my phone finally died somewhere in the 12 hr range. yesterday and today doesn't look like its going to be that way.

I haven't installed any new apps, nor disabled any features, all I've done was use the phone and charge it when required, yesterday by 11:30am the phone was at 10 %, I decided to play a game (Monopoly millionaire) just to run the battery dry and then plug it into the charger.

Battery is the only thing that really pisses me off about this phone, like farzo mentioned above I never had to worry about this on the iphone. Im hoping its software.

taturo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem, battery drains about 10% every hour without using it..... and when I use the phone to check for emails or something else I drains horribly fast!!! I don't know what to do. I'm charging my lumia 920 twice a day.

David Fahey

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Thats me too. I'm getting my 3rd one I bought the orginial 4 months ago now. This time I refuse to accept a refurbished phone. Waiting for a call back from the next level person.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I use my phone for phone calls, texting, pictures, weather most of the time. I can usually get 2.5 days out of a charge, but my 920 starts eating battery each time I update a program. Can be any old program, don't matter, it'll be dead in 2-4 hours after the update.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This is a well-known (and well-researched) issue.

Lumia 920 Cyan - ATT - Overheats, Battery Draining - Nokia Support Discussions

From my personal testing, this is limited to the Lumia 920, sad to say. I've performed similar testing on the Lumia 620, 720 and 820. None of those phones suffered from the same "battery drain" spiral that the 920 appears to have. My wife and I have (combined) had six Lumia 920 phones....all with the *exact* same problem.

Want to try and repro this problem yourself? Try this:

• Download 'Dredd vs Zombies' from the Windows Phone store
  • Charge your phone to 100%
  • Play 'Dredd vs Zombies' for 20 minutes (most any game will work, but this is a good one to get the phone warm)
  • Exit the game, note the battery level %, and leave the phone alone -- this is best to do right before you go to bed
  • Leave the phone unplugged overnight
  • Note the battery level % again first thing in the morning
  • Leave the phone unplugged, and note the battery level % every hour for the next few hours

In my case, my most recent Lumia 920 was down to 70% battery by morning, and then completely dead by 10PM. Nothing else was installed on the phone *except* for the 'Dredd vs Zombies' game (I had performed a factory reset). It essentially drained the remaining 70% of the course of 15 hours -- with me only taking a screenshot every hour.

A normal Lumia 920 -- even with email syncing, Facebook, etc. -- should only drain at a rate of 1% per hour if left alone. Usually even slower than that. After the (above) testing, I rebooted, charged to 100%, unplugged, and left it overnight again. In the morning, the battery was still at 100%, and only down to 98% by the end of the day.

Please note: The battery does not SUCK on these phones. It's actually quite good under the right circumstance. That said, there is definitely an issue with "battery drain" that seems to occur after having warmed up, heavy data usage, and other things. Despite what others have said, it is NOT due to Facebook, Skype, the Drive app, and so on. They may trigger the issue, but they are not the cause.

Are you hacked about this? You probably should be. Please contact Nokia Support (as I have...on many occasions) and demand research and a fix.

Hazimix

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 920 wired and wireless charger, are too weak to charge the Battery.
I have therefore bought a 2.2A charger and now the problem is over.
You will need to charge it serveral times...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb