Battery on 920

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there is a topic on this somewhere if I sifted through the hundreds of pages. Forgive if there is but I bought a Lumia 920 new 3 days ago and what's the secret to this battery. Today the straw broke the camels back. Left phone on charger last night took it off at 5am, layer back down for 2.5hrs and from 100-67% in 2 hours. Everything is turned off GPS, no push emails, heck I even uninstalled all apps besides wpcentral and YouTube. No Facebook or even Nokia apps. I have no maps installed because I can't figure out for my life what is MURDERING my battery with no use. Any advice please? I will not that the top right of the phone COOKS when I use it at time I assume that's where the processor is. Thanks in advance.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When this phone does this, the only way to fix is a reboot (hold power button down and then select reboot).

I believe it is an OS bug and hopefully will be fixed in GDR2. Nobody has been able to track down specifically what it is, as while disabling background apps (settings), turning off Wifi or cellular/Bluetooth/NFC/etc. do not fix it. Closing apps doesn't. Uninstalling apps sometimes looks as if an improvement is made, but that's not app specific, just a general thing.

So you cannot fix this issue except hope it is shortly fixed in the next couple of weeks.

It is random and I think it based on an individuals app usage or method of interaction as not all people claim to suffer, or experience this every day. I get it once a week.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, also a lot of people as mention in other threads that it takes a couple of days...(1 week or 2) and the battery will be really better. I know also some reported that Skype, some battery apps...could affect the phone. Also, the signal could affect the battery. If you are in a weak area of LTE might want to swtich it to 3G. For me it did help a lot!!!

I would suggest to wait a couple of days and report back...

Last edited:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Someone will soon jump in and say you must fully discharge your battery using an app and that will help as it will 'calibrate' the phone

Ignore them.

Your phone will naturally run fully down in normal use. And the general consensus is that full discharges are not a good thing.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
This is not about turning off features, this is not something caused by normal use. There have been plenty of people with the same problem, many report success after hard resetting the phone. In some cases it's been some app that causes this, but regardless this is not normal and is not truely fixed by turning off any of the normal features of the phone.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Ive tried the Vol Down, Power, Cam button to Hard Reset but doesn't work. I wait for vibrate and only release power, but it still boots like normal. Is there another way?

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, then about. At the bottom, there is a "reset my phone" button. That performs a hard reset. Before you do a hard reset, try and condition your battery after the soft reset. I've had really good luck conditioning my battery by letting it completely discharge and then charge it fully a few times in a row.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
What I have done - since LTE was turned on in my area - was get an app called 'iConnect.' I pinned that to the top of my start screen and just manually turn off my data connection when I know I'm not using it.

Now, the phone lasts as long as it did with just the 4G connection - which is about 16 hours with normal use.

I'm connected to Wi-Fi pretty much throughout the day, so a part from those (VERY FEW) apps that only work with a data connection, I'm good to go.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My battery was lousy, until I went to Settings->Applications->Background tasks and I disabled all of them except the bare essentials, like Weather and WPCentral. Then rebooted. Battery is in Super Star mode now! I can go two days without a recharge. I also turned off email retrieval "as they arrive" as it annoys the living hell out of me to have my phone beep every 5 minutes. Now I only sync manually. Much happier.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
it took me over a month to condition the battery before it was acceptable, now i get 24 hrs easily on single charge...thats on medium use (30-40 texts a day, 1-2 calls, browsing, checking apps etc) and only background tasks running are weatherflow, battery, simplecalender and wpc.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea I will just keep training my battery and it will hopefully wake up lol....its only 4 days old so just need to give it time to self calibrate.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I also go to background tasks and disable anything that I don't use frequently. I probably have close to 100 apps installed. My mail is set to every 30 minutes. I usually have half of my battery left when I put my phone on the charging pad. That's 5:45am-10:15pm typically.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Is the GDR2 sposed to address this battery issue? Read its supposed to hit all devices 7/22. Battery is killing me....its my only gripe with this phone.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I am pleased to announce that the soft reset seems to fix my battery issue and I also uninstalled Nokia Drive apps and I think those apps are the culprit of making the CPU hang because since I got those off my CPU no longer cooks. I am so overjoyed. Mod you can close this thread, if I can even suggest that. Thanks again everyone for ideas and help.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
You can reinstall Drive anytime though. If you do, then go to Settings > slide right to applications > hit background tasks > then "block" Drive (and Maps), which is just their dopey way of saying only use GPS when actually using the app (rather than have it running by default in the background all the time for no reason.)

LTE does consume power, but you want it. GPS is what really drinks battery. Don't know about tap+send (aka NFC), but that I shut off too because I don't need it right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss