Replacing My 920 - Stopped Getting Data From 4G/LTE and Phone Reset Never Completed

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
About 5 days ago, my Lumia 920 started to not get any LTE/4G data but it would work on Wi-Fi. I did multiple reboots and nothing. It simply would not work. I called the repair number and they had me check a few things and finally they asked me to do a phone reset. So, I reluctantly did. It never reset...just spent 3 hours on the turning gears. I called back and they are going to exchange it.

Anyone else have this issue before?

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
About 5 days ago, my Lumia 920 started to not get any LTE/4G data but it would work on Wi-Fi. I did multiple reboots and nothing. It simply would not work. I called the repair number and they had me check a few things and finally they asked me to do a phone reset. So, I reluctantly did. It never reset...just spent 3 hours on the turning gears. I called back and they are going to exchange it.

Anyone else have this issue before?

Yeah, a common issue with resetting the device. I'd like to call it, the 'Gears of Death' or GoD. You're lucky you didn't get the LBSoD (Light Blue Screen of Death). Leave it on the charger overnight, it should be done by then. Or just attempt to turn it off. They are replacing it anyway.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The gears after doing a reset was how this thread was born. But if they are replacing it, no need for you to worry. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

Getting a new one, most likely Monday since it wont go out until today. The problem I have is the verbal agreements I had to give to certify the phone was damage free. Sure it has been dropped and on the side without buttons, there are about 20 or so very small dings but that was done back in December. No other blemishes to it. I explained it all to the rep and he still proceeded with the exchange...just don't want to be stuck with the $425 fee if they do think it is too damaged (which it isn't)

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I do have a Lumia 928 that I got for a review copy and can keep it...I heard I could drop my AT&T SIM in there and it will work but SMS/MMS may be a little funky...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
ive had my L920 go into "GoD" mode...it just took multiple resets (while stuck in Gears) to eventually continue to bootup process. The last time i did this i took 4 attempts. I waited 40 mins, if it didnt boot up by then i would VolumeDown + Power, continue this until it moved on.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
ive had my L920 go into "GoD" mode...it just took multiple resets (while stuck in Gears) to eventually continue to bootup process. The last time i did this i took 4 attempts. I waited 40 mins, if it didnt boot up by then i would VolumeDown + Power, continue this until it moved on.

I've tried everything...even tried that firmware update but it stopped because I couldn't connect to the Nokia servers...I let it go all night last night...woke up to gears...I've tried multiple ways of pressing buttons to reset...gears keep a turning.

I am getting a replacement in the mail but my workplace said they would pay my early termination fee and use a brand new, Lumia 928 we got from our Verizon rep and they take over my phone bill. Even though I'll lose my unlimited data on my number, I'll have unlimited data on my work phone and I plan on being here for a good while and by the time I may move on, I can afford any data overages I may get if I get my phone again with metered data.

So when the replacement arrives, I'll send my defective Lumia 920 back and then give it to my wife who cracked her screen on her red 920. Saves $150 on replacing her screen! :) She is OK not having red.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The gears after doing a reset was how this thread was born. But if they are replacing it, no need for you to worry. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

Now that Navifirm is shut, how do we go about new firmwares?

I second this, hold volume down and power (phone plugged to charger) till the damn thing starts - worked for me too.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Now that Navifirm is shut, how do we go about new firmwares?

I second this, hold volume down and power (phone plugged to charger) till the damn thing starts - worked for me too.

So you are saying old volume down and power until it starts? Meaning keeping holding them down until it starts or repeat the steps until it starts? And do we have to sit through some gears again?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So you are saying old volume down and power until it starts? Meaning keeping holding them down until it starts or repeat the steps until it starts? And do we have to sit through some gears again?

I held volume down and power for like 2 minutes...it would go to the Nokia logo and either just to the battery charge indicator on the screen or just reboot. Let it go after two minutes and it went back to the battery indicator screen and then rebooted and then went to the gears screen...I let it go and happen to see it rebooted...about a minute later, boom, setup screen...geeesh...I love Windows Phone but this has got to get fixed.

So, I am going to refuse delivery on my replacement and either give this one to my wife or sell it and pay for her screen replacement since my work will take over my phone bill, albeit on Verizon but the 928 is pretty good...

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I held volume down and power for like 2 minutes...it would go to the Nokia logo and either just to the battery charge indicator on the screen or just reboot. Let it go after two minutes and it went back to the battery indicator screen and then rebooted and then went to the gears screen...I let it go and happen to see it rebooted...about a minute later, boom, setup screen...geeesh...I love Windows Phone but this has got to get fixed.

So, I am going to refuse delivery on my replacement and either give this one to my wife or sell it and pay for her screen replacement since my work will take over my phone bill, albeit on Verizon but the 928 is pretty good...

Good news! my original comment was similar to rockstarz and what helped now fix your situation...i guess i wasnt clear enough in the directions. I agree it has to get fixed, i "reset" my phone (settings > about phone > reset) 3 times and encountered this once...and that one time it was very hectic, enough to make me avoid trying it again. Everyone keeps sending in their phones when the reality is sometimes unfortunately the bootup hangs and requires a re-attempt.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills