Lumia 920 camera won't focus beyone a couple of feet.

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 920 camrea will not auto focus beyond a couple of feet. I'm running firmware version 1232.5962.1314.0001. I know it's not a hardware issue because I can manually focus with third party apps like Camera360. When I try to use the default camera app on any subject that is not right in front of the camera, the subject goes from blurry, into focus and then back to blurry where it stays.

I've seen other people with this problem in this and other forums, but I have not seen one working solution. I bought this phone for the camera and it doesn't work. Please help!

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
May seem like something dumb to ask, but are you certain in the settings the camera is not set to Macro or Close up mode? I had that issue before but realized I forgot it was set to macro...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem. It started with the last camera update from quite a while back. The update improved camera quality but caused this problem.

It's pretty annoying, and seems to happen under any conditions including broad daylight. Basically what I do is tap around the screen, trying to find a spot that the camera can focus on. I also to 5-10 photos of any subject, if possible, just to ensure I get a few that are in focus.

I've seen the issue discussed before but I don't know if there's ever been a resolution beyond getting another app.

tmpusr889

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
No, it's not in Macro mode, but thanks for trying to help. I can also get it to focus once in while, maybe one in seven or eight tries, but that's annoying and makes me wish I bought a different phone.

naeem151287

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've just started having the same problem. I am on firmware 1314 as well. One in 7-8 photos will randomly focus properly - I thought my camera developed a fault but it seems like something else now.

Yev91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Happens to me as well. I think I know how to recreate my issue. It usually happens when I take pictures from my room window on the second floor aiming downwards... Also happens when I take a photo of my feet.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Been happening to me since the 1308 update (as well as a couple other issues). Called Nokia and they wanted me to send the phone in for repair, so I might bite the bullet and just send it in. Problem is I have to use my old Nexus S as my primary phone while my 920 is gone.......

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
change the shooting mode? also try not shoot too close

I'm sorry, but you seem to be completely misunderstanding what's going on here. I'm pretty sure this guy is experiencing the same problem as me. The phone, regardless of whether the subject is 2m, 10m or 1km away struggles to focus. Settings make no difference whatsoever and there's no reason why any of them would except maybe for macro.

The only consistent solution I've found is to find a spot within the photo which the camera is able to consistently focus on. This means tapping on the screen itself is mandatory. The challenge is finding that spot, especially if you're trying to snap a few quick photos. Most cameras will struggle to focus if the target area doesn't have enough detail. The problem with the Lumia is that even in spots with contrast and detail the camera will struggle to focus. That's why you have to hunt around to find a spot that works.

The only thing I know for sure is that this is a software problem because started after the update that improved photo quality. I never had an issue before that. I'm the problem hasn't been acknowledged given how widespread it seems to be. Actually, I'm curious to know if the problem occurs with the 925/928.

black_lion

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. It would come and go, seemingly at random, although I noticed it happened more under indoor (read not dim, but not bright sunlight) lighting. It has gone away since I reset my phone.

wheresmybeaver

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this a month or two back. The Lumia 920 completely fails to focus on items in the near distance or further if you are pointing the phone downwards! Eg if you're on a bridge taking a photo of a boat passing under. Completely fails to focus. My solution for now is to focus the camera whilst it is level and then frame the photo as I like whilst still half-pressing the shutter button. Then I can get a sharp photo whilst pointing downwards. It first happened to me when I was trying to take multiple photos of my kid trying to climb up a tree after me!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem where if I point the camera downwards to take a picture, say something on the sidewalk, the camera refused to focus correctly.