Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

My Lumia 920 camrea will not auto focus beyond a couple of feet. I'm running firmware version 1232.5962.1314.0001. I know it's not a hardware issue because I can manually focus with third party apps like Camera360. When I try to use the default camera app on any subject that is not right in front of the camera, the subject goes from blurry, into focus and then back to blurry where it stays.

I've seen other people with this problem in this and other forums, but I have not seen one working solution. I bought this phone for the camera and it doesn't work. Please help!

May seem like something dumb to ask, but are you certain in the settings the camera is not set to Macro or Close up mode? I had that issue before but realized I forgot it was set to macro...

I've had the same problem. It started with the last camera update from quite a while back. The update improved camera quality but caused this problem.

It's pretty annoying, and seems to happen under any conditions including broad daylight. Basically what I do is tap around the screen, trying to find a spot that the camera can focus on. I also to 5-10 photos of any subject, if possible, just to ensure I get a few that are in focus.

I've seen the issue discussed before but I don't know if there's ever been a resolution beyond getting another app.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    May seem like something dumb to ask, but are you certain in the settings the camera is not set to Macro or Close up mode? I had that issue before but realized I forgot it was set to macro...
    That's definitely not the issue with me, my phone is set to Auto.

No, it's not in Macro mode, but thanks for trying to help. I can also get it to focus once in while, maybe one in seven or eight tries, but that's annoying and makes me wish I bought a different phone.

I've just started having the same problem. I am on firmware 1314 as well. One in 7-8 photos will randomly focus properly - I thought my camera developed a fault but it seems like something else now.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    try increasing ur exposure... then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by ajeesh yacob View Post
    try increasing ur exposure... then try again.
    Didn't help.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Happens to me as well. I think I know how to recreate my issue. It usually happens when I take pictures from my room window on the second floor aiming downwards... Also happens when I take a photo of my feet.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    change the shooting mode? also try not shoot too close

I have this problem too, apparently it's a software issue affecting a lot of people but Nokia has offered no suggestions or help :(

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    Been happening to me since the 1308 update (as well as a couple other issues). Called Nokia and they wanted me to send the phone in for repair, so I might bite the bullet and just send it in. Problem is I have to use my old Nexus S as my primary phone while my 920 is gone.......
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 w/ 128GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

My Blog: PixelWin

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

Quote Originally Posted by ajeesh yacob View Post
    change the shooting mode? also try not shoot too close
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be completely misunderstanding what's going on here. I'm pretty sure this guy is experiencing the same problem as me. The phone, regardless of whether the subject is 2m, 10m or 1km away struggles to focus. Settings make no difference whatsoever and there's no reason why any of them would except maybe for macro.

The only consistent solution I've found is to find a spot within the photo which the camera is able to consistently focus on. This means tapping on the screen itself is mandatory. The challenge is finding that spot, especially if you're trying to snap a few quick photos. Most cameras will struggle to focus if the target area doesn't have enough detail. The problem with the Lumia is that even in spots with contrast and detail the camera will struggle to focus. That's why you have to hunt around to find a spot that works.

The only thing I know for sure is that this is a software problem because started after the update that improved photo quality. I never had an issue before that. I'm the problem hasn't been acknowledged given how widespread it seems to be. Actually, I'm curious to know if the problem occurs with the 925/928.

Reset the camera settings :)

Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xratola View Post
    Reset the camera settings :)
    Doesn't work :)
    Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-938 w/ 128GB MicroSD card
    Microsoft Surface 2 32GB w/ Type Cover 2

Smartphone History: iPhone 3G 8GB -> iPhone 4 8GB -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Nexus S -> iPhone 4S 16GB -> Lumia 900 -> Lumia 920 -> Lumia 1520

My Blog: PixelWin

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4...25834/xboxone/

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I had the same issue. It would come and go, seemingly at random, although I noticed it happened more under indoor (read not dim, but not bright sunlight) lighting. It has gone away since I reset my phone.

I have been having exactly the same problem since the last firmware update. Very frustrating.
    I noticed this a month or two back. The Lumia 920 completely fails to focus on items in the near distance or further if you are pointing the phone downwards! Eg if you're on a bridge taking a photo of a boat passing under. Completely fails to focus. My solution for now is to focus the camera whilst it is level and then frame the photo as I like whilst still half-pressing the shutter button. Then I can get a sharp photo whilst pointing downwards. It first happened to me when I was trying to take multiple photos of my kid trying to climb up a tree after me!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

This seems to be a Nokia problem, hopefully it will be fixed with Amber.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I had a problem where if I point the camera downwards to take a picture, say something on the sidewalk, the camera refused to focus correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by uselessrobot View Post
    I'm sorry, but you seem to be completely misunderstanding what's going on here. I'm pretty sure this guy is experiencing the same problem as me. The phone, regardless of whether the subject is 2m, 10m or 1km away struggles to focus. Settings make no difference whatsoever and there's no reason why any of them would except maybe for macro.

The only consistent solution I've found is to find a spot within the photo which the camera is able to consistently focus on. This means tapping on the screen itself is mandatory. The challenge is finding that spot, especially if you're trying to snap a few quick photos. Most cameras will struggle to focus if the target area doesn't have enough detail. The problem with the Lumia is that even in spots with contrast and detail the camera will struggle to focus. That's why you have to hunt around to find a spot that works.

The only thing I know for sure is that this is a software problem because started after the update that improved photo quality. I never had an issue before that. I'm the problem hasn't been acknowledged given how widespread it seems to be. Actually, I'm curious to know if the problem occurs with the 925/928.
    I'm experiencing the exact same problem you describe here with my 920. Never had any focusing issues until after that last update. Now it takes me several tries to get the camera to focus no matter what I'm shooting. It's so frustrating! I move the camera around until I can get it to focus (pressing the camera button halfway) then while still holding the button halfway pressed, move the camera to get the shot I want, then fully press the button to take the picture. That seems to work. I find it easier to use the camera button than tapping on the screen only because it's easier for me to hold the camera steady that way.

At first, I thought this problem was just me, but I see now it's happening to other people as well. I sincerely hope the upcoming Amber update resolves this problem.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Try these:
    Clean the lense
    Reset camera
    Check if all camera settings are in auto mode, then change iso to 100, and back to auto if you wish
    Install one or more of the following apps: oneshot, camera 360, proshot. Play with manual and auto focus and see if the issue is persistent or not.

I have this problem too.

Solution:
    1. Idea: I just want to make a picture from my foots.
    2. Settings: Auto.
    3. Far away in front is a tree a wall or etc, FOCUS HERE, but press the camera button in HALF just for focus!
    4. Move your phone downwards to the foots, see: everything is sharp!
    Tip: volume up! If focus is right, is there sound, if not, there is not sound.

Can't wait for GDR2, hope fix this..

this happens to me if there is a dust on my 920s camera lens cover. but if i try to manually focus in proshot its working.
    always clean your cover lens if theres a dust or something it might solve your problem

I can confirm that the GDR2 update fixed the problem for me. The camera can focus perfectly now and it's even slightly faster than before. :D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast